Join our server on Discord

DaD - Now what?
New thread since it contains some new and important info.

Alright, I spoke to the hosting guys and checked out one or two other offers. Then I did some pondering.

The bottom line I see right now is:
The site *can* be hosted here. Completely. And it wouldn't be too expensive.

However.
I won't pay the fee. This is a decision I lost a few nights of sleep over, but in the end, I settled on it.

The few of you who actually followed the course of events should know where I'm coming from, but I'll give you the long version anyway.

I started working as "DaD Staff" more than two years ago. July/August 2003, to be exact (depending on how you count - I basically joined staff in July, but the first official update had been in August). I joined to do the updates. The agreement had been that Togashi takes care of everything and just gives me the converted lemons and the pictures so I simply integrate them into the site.

About a month later, I became the staff. Read: Togashi had left. That sorta sucked since he had left with a whole bunch of material. There had been a huge pile of stuff to add, and he hadn't given that to me. Remember the "Due to some major system failures, I am forced to ask lemon authors to resubmit[...]" announcement at the end of '03? Now read this paragraph again.

I suddenly had to deal with being the Admin of the DaD. Due to some sort of cosmic coincidence, I had poked Toga for all the passwords and rights before he poofed. Mail passwords, FTP passwords, Admin rights on the board. Everything except for some sort of official introduction as Admin. Telling people that I'm suddenly the only guy in charge had been odd for them and for me.

Last year, Togashi came back, announcing that he'd be back for good and that everything would be okay. At this point, I had been unwilling Admin for more than a year. I had to deal with people, complaints and threats Toga had promised to shield me from. Trust me, that's not fun, especially not while people still just see you as Toga's underling.

I decided to quit. Site announcement, I think a forum thread, a PM to Togashi. It all had been sent after a week of pondering.

However, Togashi had already been gone again.

Another half-year of idle hissing at the guy who had TWICE abandoned me without a word.

This time, Togashi has apparently left for good. No trace of him, no word, no money. I think it's safe to say that he is no longer the Admin of the DaD.

When the DaD went down, I had to dig out the host's mail address from an old board backup. I had already snapped into the mindset that I'd pay for the site since it's my responsibility and all that.

Then I stopped to think. Or rather: Two very good friends stopped me. After bapping some sense into me, I then started thinking.

I never wanted to be The Admin. I never wanted Toga's job. I had just been there to fully convert it to a new design in two weeks. Additionally, I had been there to update with stuff mailed from Toga. I fulfilled the first part. The second part crumbled at various places explained above.

This site is not my responsibility. It is not my job. My job basically poofed twenty or so months ago when I fully realized that my one superior had left the building. Ever since then, I basically just held on to the keys. I even did it after resigning simply because I had believed that it would be mean to just turn around, knowing that the site would rot completely.

*sigh*

The lack of funding is a major cut. Both for you and for me. It's the cut that officially leaves me alone at the top. My choices were technically simple.

1) Pay monthly for the privilege of being stuck in a position I basically resigned from more than half a year ago.

2) Find somebody else.

I had actually started to plan the "pay for it" option. Exchanged mails with the host and negotiated a pretty good price. But in the end, I decided against it.

Updates have been a rarity, and my own free time is being reduced with each month. Two years, a few updates, no lemons (if I recall correctly) and TONS of mails dealing with people I never wanted to deal with simply because the guy in charge had abandoned me. That's not a great answer to the question "Hey, what did you do during the last two years?".

Now I'm going with option two.

If you think you're up to the task of restoring the DaD (and of paying for it), say so. Or mail me. Or PM me. I'm not OVERLY picky, but I do have a few guidelines.

1) There are a few people I really wouldn't trust with the DaD. This group includes (but is not limited to) the people
- I hate (and who hate me back)
- who tried to backstab, outsmart, threaten, blackmail or use me at some point.
So if you know you belong to this group: Sorry, but no.

2) I'd like to give the community to somebody who has the trust of the community. If you're some guy nobody has ever heard of, I will most likely say no. Nothing personal, but this is a community site.

That's why I'd love to see some open and constructive discussion and planning in this thread. If some people want to form a group to share the cost and the responsibility, that's great.

I won't put out numbers in the open, but I'll just drop the hint that the cost of one or two CD albums should easily cover the server cost (depending on artist ;)), assuming that the traffic stays in the dimensions of the past few months (post-dojin-removal months). Of course, you can also try to fund the site with donations or what-not. That's up to you. If you (the group) settle on somebody to be the potential new Admin (or the group speaker at least) I can give you the details via PM or mail.

Yes, this is a shock in difficult times, and I apologize for my move at this time. But I hope you understand my own position in this situation.

So from here on, no bitching, whining, finger-pointing. The site *is* running on borrowed time.
I think I speak for everyone here when I say we understand your position. What you had to endure was totally unfair. I also think your idea of having a new admin is very good. The only question is, is who would it be? Anyone out there willing?
Quote:I think I speak for everyone here when I say we understand your position. What you had to endure was totally unfair. I also think your idea of having a new admin is very good. The only question is, is who would it be? Anyone out there willing?
I agree with DV85 that you had to endure something unfair.
I also think I speak for everyone when I say we are grateful for keeping the DaD up (exception to those who hate you) as unfair as it was.
The new admin needs to be willing to keep the DaD up for at least five years or untill we elect a new admin.
Veemon's Followers
Wow, I didn't even realize that you had actually resigned at all. I can't blame you for not wanting to pay for anything you didn't want to have in the first place. I mean, who WOULD? Just, for the sake of all three digimon hentai sites, please don't pick a prick. That's all I'm asking. Someone neutral, fine, someone nice, even better, a jerk... no.. please no. Might I suggest a final date, though? Like you have until __/__/05 to choose a new admin/site owner? And if you can't find anyone you'd feel comfortable choosing by then, let the site... well... expire, I guess. I know exactly how it feels to be used like a tool as a website underling so I know what you're going through. This site isn't your responsibility and its current state isn't your fault. I think everyone (who isn't a raving jackass) will agree with me that you've gone above and beyond the call of duty on this one.
Soni
Hey there!

I am a lemon author here on this site. I don't know if many know me, espescially since the only stories I've posted here are my yaoi ones. But anyway, I've got experience with websites, so if you can explain the layout, Chibi Renamon, I'd be more than willing to take charge of the updates for you. Unfortunately, I have no experience being the main dude like Togashi was and like you're forced to be now, however, I will help you in any way I possibly can. I can create an e-mail account very quickly just for accepting work from artists and authors, and I'll handle them as well (yes, even the complaints).

I AM someone trustworthy. I have free time on weekends especially, and I've helped host a couple of sites before. For lack of appropriate funds, both of those sites were shut down (as you said, bandwidth is a major money hog). People have known me to be friendly, and as far as I know, none have believed me to be a backstabber or a liar or any of that stuff you mentioned.

As for funding, that's a big stumbling block for me. I'm currently paying a college bill, two rents (one for my mother), and a car payment, and the leftovers from that is what I use for food and my own daily necessities. That doesn't mean I live in like the ghetto or anything--I'm just broke.

The best way I can help with funding at this point is to send some money by mail. As I said, funding is very tight, so don't expect much in my envelopes. But looking at your suggestion earlier, ChibiRenamon, I think it is a great idea to have a funding GROUP rather than a funding PERSON. The cost would be less for all of us, and worth the cause. ChibiRenamon, if you could post the price, and allow me (or do it for me, at this point I'm guessing you'd rather the second) to post a message on the main www site about it, I think I might be able to get something started up. For those who read this message on the board, reply with some feedback on this idea of ChibiRenamon's. Then if all goes well, we can start posting messages around what's left of the site and get ideas and support.

Well anyway, I'm not sure if or why you'd need to, but if you do, here's how you (any of you) can reach me:

E-Mail1: Da_WOLFE2@yahoo.com
E-Mail2: SonicHowler42@cfl.rr.com
IM - Yahoo Instant Messenger: Da_WOLFE2
IM - AOL Instant Messenger: DarkWolf2041
IM - ICQ: Yeah, like I could ever remember this number....

Howl on!
I posted all that before I finally comprehended that you were looking for a new actual ADMINISTRATOR!

Well, I could give that a go too. HOWEVER: I can NOT pay for it, or at least not all of it. If I were admin, the funding group I mentioned before would be absolutely necessary! But if funding in general can be worked out somehow, I'd be more than happy to take that responsibility.
New administrator... known and trusted... reliable... I nominate Wisemon. Wise, do you accept the nomination?

Funding group(s) are a great idea... now if only there was a way to give you guys some money without my parents knowing.
While I don't have a very free schedule on my hands, thanks to the combined effort of both work and school, I would like to volunteer to be part of an administration.

By part, I mean I agree with Da_Wolfe in his suggestion for a group to run this site. It would be far less of a stressful hassle on one single individual, and could possibly be easier on handling funding if it were to come from multiple sources, which would mean it wouldnt be causing any sort of economic stress on one single person.

Now, i could probably handle putting some of my own money aside for the site, if you said it's fairly cheap (the price of one or two cd's, you said, right?) but I think it would be a better idea to have at LEAST two people handling the site.
Yes a group of people wuld be the best idea for this site. Two to help run and two to help fund it. Something like that. (and anon are you serious?)
I could be some sort of staff member but I could never run the site
and I won't be able to do any donations cuz i'm broke. I'm not an ass and I hate to pick favorites.
Veemon's Followers