Join our server on Discord

Swine Flu outbreak
No need to fear in my state. But it may have been overhyped.
I'm in NJ. I'm not sure if it has officially hit here yet, but it will soon enough. I won't be bothered.
People always talk about these impending epidemics like they're the end of the world. Yes, the flu _can_ be very dangerous, usually to the very young, very old, or the immuno-compromised. Just because people in their 20's are getting the flu does not mean it's a hardass strain that's going to wipe us out. PEOPLE GET SICK ALL THE TIME.

Mortality rates from MEXICO are not indicative of mortality rates IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD. I'm not an epidemiologist. Hell, I've never even cracked a book to write the MCAT and I know that much. Why has this very simple fact escaped the media's attention? Mexico, as a developing country, has too little clean water and insufficient sanitation to support its enormous population. Poor living conditions essentially ensure viral outbreaks with high mortality rates in developing nations. Of all the deaths currently confirmed to be of swine flu, of which there are only NINE, eight of them have been in Mexico, and one of them was a young child in the US.

Also, viruses are rarely highly contagious and invariably fatal at the same time. It is not beneficial for diseases of any kind to cause high mortality: this limits the survivability of the disease-causing agent, especially if the virus acts quickly once people become symptomatic. The swine flu is pretty much exactly the same as the flu we're used to, we've just never been exposed to it before. Maybe if people stopped using so much fucking Purel and got sick for a change, our immunity wouldn't be so untried that we'd know we'll be okay.
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

(04-30-2009 11:28 PM)senjuro Wrote: People always talk about these impending epidemics like they're the end of the world. Yes, the flu _can_ be very dangerous, usually to the very young, very old, or the immuno-compromised. Just because people in their 20's are getting the flu does not mean it's a hardass strain that's going to wipe us out. PEOPLE GET SICK ALL THE TIME.

Mortality rates from MEXICO are not indicative of mortality rates IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD. I'm not an epidemiologist. Hell, I've never even cracked a book to write the MCAT and I know that much. Why has this very simple fact escaped the media's attention? Mexico, as a developing country, has too little clean water and insufficient sanitation to support its enormous population. Poor living conditions essentially ensure viral outbreaks with high mortality rates in developing nations. Of all the deaths currently confirmed to be of swine flu, of which there are only NINE, eight of them have been in Mexico, and one of them was a young child in the US.

Also, viruses are rarely highly contagious and invariably fatal at the same time. It is not beneficial for diseases of any kind to cause high mortality: this limits the survivability of the disease-causing agent, especially if the virus acts quickly once people become symptomatic. The swine flu is pretty much exactly the same as the flu we're used to, we've just never been exposed to it before. Maybe if people stopped using so much fucking Purel and got sick for a change, our immunity wouldn't be so untried that we'd know we'll be okay.

Exactly. That's why I'm not afraid of this. ONly one death in a country with amazingly high sanitation.

If you've been watching the news, though, they're about to step it up to Phase 6, which is Global Pandemic. 9 deaths of Billions, and they're acting like it's the end of the world.
[Image: WalkingEye-1.jpg]

No super-villain can resist the temptation of a Walking Eye.
The OCA
I'm definitely not afraid. People are taking it out of hand. I mean, I'm glad people are taking even more sanitary precautions because that only furthers the chances of reducing other pathogens from spreading which cause other diseases, but now things are just getting ridiculous, especially with the whole surgeon's masks thing. What is up with that anyway? People are quite ignorant...
[Image: Makasiggey.gif]

~Death is Sweet. Embrace it.~

Thank you, Dwaggy, for the signature~!

The OCA
(04-30-2009 11:01 AM)DragonMasterX Wrote: Our ambassador (Or whatever he's called) cancelled most if not all flights from Mexico to Argentina, but some passengers keep coming, I'm not afraid, I'm too focused in other stuff to care. I don't even know what Swine Flu does, except that randomization done in that one Cartoon Network cartoon, which also included the Fidgeral!

Marrie what you just said just makes me worried. Shame The swine flu is serious! I mean so many people died from it, and I don't want you to have it either... Crybaby2 and I heard a some people had the flu in my place in Cali and one near at my place >_<;.
I'm more active in FA and DA now. Click here to look at my gallery!
The Sabre Clan
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
Creative Minds
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Might i just point something out, based on my understanding of this i'm under the impression the people who have actually died of this disease are mexican or of mexican discent. So realistically, we have to find out if this is the case, find out what it is that mexicans have to give access to this disease and decide whether this is an opportunity or a threat (Apologies if this offends people, but i'm just saying we have to consider the facts, i'm not protesting for mexicans to die horrible deaths or anything like that).

Besides, i've got a pretty decent immune system, in fact the only illness i've had recently is a cold brought on by getting an MMR immunilisation i was supposed to get 15 years ago. Also, Britain's water supply is remarkably clean. i can drink from free-flowing springs near where i live, in which the only bad stuff is the tiny molecules of dirt in the water.

Finally, this is a heavily covered story with the media, just like the CERN "end of the world crysis" was. What did we get back then? Nothing. What will we get now? i bet 5 of my english pounds we live it through and forget all about it after another crazy story hits the headlines.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
I was talking about this with somebody, and they told me what they heard. I'm not saying this is true, because I don't know what I'm talking about, but they said they heard that a little boy was the first one to have it and spread it, but now he's fine.

I'm also expecting the next South Park to make fun of the swine flu, just like they did with S.A.R.S. "Soon, only 98% of us will be left!"

[Image: 3bon7.jpg]

Picture related.
In soviet goggles, Russia does nothing.
(04-30-2009 11:01 AM)DragonMasterX Wrote: I don't even know what Swine Flu does, except that randomization done in that one Cartoon Network cartoon, which also included the Fidgeral!

I remember that cartoon! XD

"Swine flu, swine flu...to cure swine flu, open case on wall...CHIMPY! Open the case Chimpy!"

*case opens, a chef with a pan of bacon pops out* BAM! Lookit' that bacon sizzle!

The "Swine Flu" in that cartoon caused the kid's head to turn into a pig, which ran away once the chef came out :P
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Alright, Lets get a few things down hear, 100 Hispanics have died of swine flu, meaning this flu has the potential to kill, even at its early stage.

So why are the WHO taking it up to Phase 5 so early? Because, It has spread from Mexico to US and Canada and other parts of the world. When this happens it HAS to be moved to Phase 5, not because its deadly, but because its spreadable.

There are two other things the world must take into mind.

One, There is a thing called an "Incubation period." ...This flu has been around for 1 week so far we won't see its full potential until the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Two, They, or it. Could evolve into something more. Stronger, more spreadable, more resistant to cold, heat, moister, ...Even drugs.

Am I worried about it? No, Not yet. Just like the WHO and the government I am worried to stopping it before it spreads more, so we DON'T need to see if it can become deadly.

These are just precautions taken. "Better safe then sorry."

And now you know! Woo hoo! XD
25 SPAM BOTS BANNED
[Image: Lulz.jpg]
If the saying the drummer is only as good as the bassist and the saying the band is only as good as the drummer dose that mean that the band is only as good as it's bassist?

Renamon's Army
The Sabre Clan
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
Lady Devimon's Minions
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz