Join our server on Discord

The Impression That I Get
This thread is here for an intelligent discussion, and possibly debate, of the newest iteration of video game systems. This consists of five systems to me -- Two Portable, and three Consoles.

I want to start off by saying that I think all five systems are perfectly valid for gaming, though some are overpriced for what they offer, while others offer more for the money -- and who doesn't like that? So I'll start with my impressions of the systems, and what I view as their benefits and drawbacks.

SONY PLAYSTATION PORTABLE SYSTEM

Now at a less than ideal $199 price tag, the PSP System is starting to seem like a reasonable price, but the problem I have with it is that it's too much for a portable. Sure, the games are starting to get reasonable prices with the PSP Greatest Hits, but it's only a start. The problem is that the PSP is flooded with videos, which is not where a gaming system should be, and all of the worthwhile games seem to be ports of PS2 software. Sony has announced that it will be usable as a controller or additional viewscreen with the PS3, but that still requires an additional $200 investment by those who do wish to use this feature.

Benefits - Full 3D games, graphics between PS1 and PS2, has additional functionality built in
Drawbacks - No particularly great games, attempts to bring console gaming to the portable market, has additional functionality built in

SONY PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

With a super-powerful processor for computations, and another strong one for graphics, it seems as if the PlayStation 3 will be able to do anything. Especially with the additional storage capacity of Blu-Ray, a Hard Disk Drive, and required support for the current pinnacle of HDTV: 1080p. Except that the support for 1080p is lacking on the cheap model, which in itself is a compromise Sony didn't want to make (a cheap model, I mean). The cheap model, at $499, will also cut the wireless functions and Hard Disk Drive, while still being a massive investment, which may or may not be upgradeable to match the PS3 full model, which will retail for $599. But hey, Sony is trying to make this a 10 year console, which is, to be fair, possibly the only way they will make money off of this venture. The graphics are wonderful if you DO have an HDTV, but for the vast majority without them, the graphical difference will not matter for 3-5 years.

Benefits: A long-term investment, great graphics, Final Fantasy XIII
Drawbacks: Expensive, possibly to the point of being overpriced; expensive to develop for; may kill the artistic nature of game making

MICROSOFT XBOX 360

The Xbox 360 seems to be an ideal machine for traditionalist gaming, with a powerful processor, powerful graphics, and enough freedom to still be worth stylizing games for the system. WIth a traditional controller and no intention to compromise it's appeal to traditional gamers, the Xbox 360 retails at what will be $200 below the comparable PS3 model ($299 for the cheap, and $399 for the full model). This more reasonable price will appeal to gamers who want great games and don't care to pay $500+ for a gaming system alone, while the support for 1080i (mandatory support is required for 720p) makes the system a worthwhile investment for improved graphics.

Benefits: More economical than PS3, already out the gate, has 3rd party support already going with games already available
Drawbacks: Made by Microsoft, seems prone to mechanical issues

NINTENDO WII

The Wii (sounds like "we", not "whee!") is a different type of console for an ever shrinking market. While Microsoft and Sony preach to the choir with improved graphics alone, Nintendo is attempting to evangelize to the non-gamers, whether they never were or once were, and begin growing the market again. The wii offers a new, simpler controller, reverse compatibility with over 20 years worth of video games from the original NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, TurboGrafX, and Nintendo64 through their Virtual Console service, while the disc drive will be able to read both GameCube mini-DVDs as well as full sized DVD discs for the new Wii software. Wii is expected to retail for under $250, and will be out in time for the Christmas season. Building on established Intellectual Properties, including launch or near-launch Zelda and Metroid titles, the Nintendo Wii seems like it could bring about a potential resurgence in gaming to a public that hears more and seems to care less about the industry every year.

Benefits: The Wii is a new system with a new controller, and attempts to appeal to casual, non, and serious gamers; the iPod-esque feel and look of the Wii and its controller may bring a simplistic appeal to gaming; low development costs, and a familiar development environment, may allow more artistic games to be developed with a lower budget; 20+ year video game back catalog through the Virtual Console and GameCube discs
Drawbacks: Nintendo's image has been tarnished to some young people, by supporting a family friendly image; some may consider the price to indicate a significantly weak system unsuitable for games

NINTENDO DS

The Nintendo DS is the first of Nintendo's new systems, with two speakers, two screens, a touchscreen, a microphone, and innate wireless support. Nintendo is expanding gaming by introducing its new series of "non-games", from Animal Crossing and Brain Age to Nintendogs, with more light games being made available as they are finished. At the same time, the system hasn't abandoned the traditional gamer, with great titles like The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass and Castlevania: Protrait of Ruin in development still, and more yet to come (Final Fantasy III, I'm lookin' at you!). Nintendo has also begun their Nintendo WiFi Connection (WFC) through DS titles.

Benefits: New levels of game interaction, possible to make good 3D games (even if not great), both screens can be combined for a larger display
Drawbacks: Battery life is leeched quickly while using WiFi, some routers seem to provide spotty connections to the WFC, while others are imcompatible with the DS Wireless

Messages In This Thread
The Impression That I Get - by Nate Hunter - 08-06-2006, 12:43 PM
[No subject] - by Harie Krauzer - 08-07-2006, 06:34 AM
[No subject] - by senjuro - 08-07-2006, 11:53 AM
[No subject] - by Nate Hunter - 08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
[No subject] - by senjuro - 08-07-2006, 09:17 PM
[No subject] - by Harie Krauzer - 08-08-2006, 03:47 AM
[No subject] - by senjuro - 08-08-2006, 04:22 AM
[No subject] - by UnknownH - 08-09-2006, 03:24 PM
[No subject] - by senjuro - 08-09-2006, 09:09 PM
[No subject] - by That One Internet Guy - 08-10-2006, 02:02 AM
[No subject] - by UnknownH - 08-10-2006, 03:32 PM