Join our server on Discord

Digimon and Pokemon: A middle of the night musing.
Digimon World 1's system. With PS2/PS3 graphics.

Doubt they wanna show extremely graphic'd poo, though.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
You know, nowadays something like that COULD work, in theory. We seem to be coming full circle with technology. A few years ago if you released something with PS2 quality graphics on a next generation console, it would have been collectively shit on and criticized. But now with Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Store, and Wiiware stuff you could release something like that, for a fairly cheap price anyway, and people would be much more apt to buy it and be kinder to it.

The problem with a new Digimon game, even a remake or reboot of arguably the best one made, is that no one would care. In Canada anyway, Digimon, even when it first came out here, was not very relevant. They were just knock-off Pokemon to me at the time, brought over only to sell merchandise, desperately trying to hit the crack-cocaine-for-kids gold-mine that Pokemon stumbled onto. And now? Outside of like, a few communities on the internet and Japan perhaps, I honestly don't know where Digimon is relevant. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it anywhere. Even if a Digimon game was released tomorrow on XBLA, and it just so happened to be great, I just can't see it selling, which is sad to me. The first game had promise, but they just dropped it to make (from what I've seen from youtube videos, I didn't play Digimon World 2 or 3) a final fantasy clone with Digimon instead of cross-dressing hair-gel enthusiasts.

In short, even a GOOD Digimon game would fail. How does that make sense? I don't know, I completely forgot what I was talking about after the first paragraph.

As a response to the poo thing, Square Enix had already released a graphically detailed poo in March. I don't think people would mind too much after that.
In soviet goggles, Russia does nothing.
According to my very small knowledge of the business world, the reason that Digimon didn't hit it big was the similarity to the name of Pokemon and the fact that it came out shortly after the latter mentioned.

I think that due to the fact that Digimon brought a strong anime to the table, if Digimon had released first, it would be huge.

But once again, two titles both about creatures whose names both end in "mon", one of them is bound to be accused as a knock off. Digimon just got the sucky end of that wishbone.

So in a alternate universe where Digimon came out first, everybody would love it and nobody would remember Pokemon.
[Image: Rainbow_Dash_haters_gonna_hate.gif]

See that guy, he's a drifter! But drifting leads to Bickering, Bickering leads to Karate, and Karate leads to flying around between windows and shit! Then a big guy starts shooting lightning everywhere and Kurt Russell Shows up and Kicks his Ass!
I gotta disagree. Pokemon was WAAAAY more marketable, and it would have became a juggernaut even if Digimon had come first. It has nothing to do with the quality of the shows themselves, it's just that Digimon didn't have enough gadgets and doodads to sell to kids. It had monsters, but they weren't as cute and kid-friendly as the hundreds of Pokemon were. You have to admit that the Pokemon shows had tons more crap that children would pester their parents to buy. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if Pokemon was a show at all. It was more like a giant commercial.
In soviet goggles, Russia does nothing.
Oh yeah. "Kids, here we bring you the newest and hottest product ever: The power to beat up anybody no matter their size and extra intelligence. Pre-Order the legendaries to be able to take control of the very world! They can all be stored in your pockets for extra comfort! Note: Effects may vary depending on Types. Ambitious adults will fail at acquiring legendaries, and their efforts will always be trounced."

Hmm, now that I mention it, I've just explained to myself why the heck nobody has captured a powerful legendary in the series yet. They show would've been over the moment any child decided to experiment what it is like to control the elements, emotions, time, space or god of the world.

On a second thought, they so gotta let a kid catch a legendary in the show. <_<
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
To be fair, All three DPP season heroes were choosen by the Lake Trio of elves, A frontier brain had Articuno as a pokemon, another had all three Regis and looked for the big giant head Regi, Heatran was controlled by a guy in a movie, the girl Lati may have wanted to nail Ash, Mewtwo was made by Team Rocket and worked for them for a while, and they also found Mew at least once.

I have Bulbapedia Bookmarked.
Nice!

But then again, I think DMX was referring to the newer legendaries that control things like time and space. And everything.

And Ash has to be at least fifteen or sixteen by now and Brock has to be like twenty five! They walk everywhere so it must take them a long time to get around!
[Image: Rainbow_Dash_haters_gonna_hate.gif]

See that guy, he's a drifter! But drifting leads to Bickering, Bickering leads to Karate, and Karate leads to flying around between windows and shit! Then a big guy starts shooting lightning everywhere and Kurt Russell Shows up and Kicks his Ass!
No, they are stuck in a loop of sorts. That's why he doesn't age. And he'd be 20 something.
(06-04-2010 11:08 AM)Asesino Wrote: I gotta disagree. Pokemon was WAAAAY more marketable, and it would have became a juggernaut even if Digimon had come first. It has nothing to do with the quality of the shows themselves, it's just that Digimon didn't have enough gadgets and doodads to sell to kids. It had monsters, but they weren't as cute and kid-friendly as the hundreds of Pokemon were. You have to admit that the Pokemon shows had tons more crap that children would pester their parents to buy. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if Pokemon was a show at all. It was more like a giant commercial.

Something like this Asesino? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsBbdsbDaAY
[Image: 34snomc.png]

[Image: DarkChibimon.png]
Gabumon Loverz
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
Veemon's Followers
Lady Devimon's Minions
Creative Minds
Okay Pokemon anime I just give up. But I'll hold onto the games, having Soul Silver was definitely a refresh that takes things to a mixture of Pokemon Yellow and my favorite Silver/Gold/Crystal.

Some of the Digimon games(I don't have PS2 so I don't know what it's like having Digimon World but I enjoy playing dusk) and anime are worthwhile (except the forth series where kids transforming into digimon)
I'm more active in FA and DA now. Click here to look at my gallery!
The Sabre Clan
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
Creative Minds
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)