Join our server on Discord

Pokemon Generation V announced
That's true somewhat, Guilmon. Some RPGs have the same plot and idea. In many cases, you play as a small group of heroes fighting to save the world, but that isn't the only type of plot out of there. There are several different styles and plots to RPGs these days. Fallout 1 & 2 play like hybrid strategy/turn based RPG where you fight through a post apocalyptic world and end up fighting against enemies that don't want to take over the world, so much as either mutate humans (Fallout 1) or commit outright genocide against humans exposed to a century of radiation (Fallout 2). EarthBound and the MOTHER games are like a parody to the traditional RPGs (especially Dragon Warrior/Quest) which feature wacky humor and storylines that start off humorous before moving in dark directions. I could go on and on about other examples like Persona 4, but really, there are several types of RPG plots. If you look outside of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, there are many unique games out there that deviate from the standard formula.

As for FPS games, I already mentioned Metroid Prime. Here we have a trio of games that combines shooting with huge worlds to adventure through and explore in an open ended manner. Brilliant. Admittedly though, like RPGs, FPS games have a good number of copycat games out there, especially in the WWII genre. But hey, there's a lot of unique games like DOOM, Goldeneye, and Bioshock which all have sharp differences in terms of plot and game mechanics.

Yeah, most sports games are boring, but dammit, NBA Jam rocks! The announcer in that game is just perfect. "He's heating up! He's on fire! Boomshakalaklakla!" It's simple, but it's fun. There are like a million different kind of dunks you can do, and you can have a scenario where Bill Clinton faces off against Dennis Rodman.

(02-23-2010 05:45 PM)Regingald Wrote: When my friend was playing his R4 with the Jap version of Heart Gold, Falkner seems to have gotten a lot harder (he constantly heals his pokemon and also keeps lowering your attack power), so you might actually have your wish, Crimson.

Bleh, that's no problem. I'll just exploit his weakness. *has his Totodile bite the head off of Falkner's Pidgeotto* It's very hard for your opponent to win without its head. *smirks darkly*
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
Spoilers ahead.

The Persona games' plot has have almost always had a distinct plot in every single entry. Basically, it's humanity which subconsciously and collectively wishes to perish, and the strength of heart of that desire brings forth entities driven by said emotions to pursuit the annihilation of the human race.

This happens in most if not every Shin Megami Tensei RPG, but if we examine the plot of Kingdom Hearts, it's fascible to make a few but very remarkable comparisons between games.

Kingdom Hearts' universe, as much of an original cross-over as it is, sports an uniformed plot which includes characters creating their own devil: The Heartless, beings which tap unto the darkness held within every heart; and with every one of these demon-like creatures spawning, the ultimate goal of an almighty entity being released and thus bringing forth the annihilation of the worlds becomes possible.

Returning to Shin Megami Tensei, it reaches the point where the desire to die is so strong, a god-like being appears to kill everybody. Yes, both plots fit with each other rather finely, with their differences met as simple details and their similarities being key connectors.

And I'm pretty sure the "Characters creating their own Devil" has already been used before and is being used as we speak on other games, and will continue to be used indefinately.

I'm not complaining at all, just saying that even great games use similar derivations for their plots.

However- on the other side of a coin, we've pretty much very original RPGs everywhere. Let's review a classic most people on here should know: Digimon World (1).

That game, unlike any other, has you being pulled into an alternate dimension where its inhabitants are anything but a human like yourself. This goes for a very good character building as he realizes he's the only person and is away from home.

You don't partake battles directly, but rather you've your own Digimon Partner, which you can give orders to as well as assist him with different items.

The game mechanics are very original, as you never truly gain experience levels, but you train each stat of your partner individually instead. Not only this, but your Partner has needs that have to be tended to, such as Feeding, Pottying, Resting, Sleeping, being healed if he gets sick. You take care of each of these, while paying attention to his Happiness and Discipline levels by Praising and Scolding accordingly. Taking care of all these work towards strengthening the bond between your Partner and yourself, and thus helps for a better coordination during battle stances.

The 'Pet' system this game includes allows you 'raise' your Partner, from something as basic as a Fresh "Baby", all the way into a powerful Ultimate "Perfect" form. You teach techniques to your partner in various ways, such as raising its Brain stat, fighting enemies with the desired techniques or just talking to friendly Digimon willing to teach them.

Yes, Digimon World bursts with originality, the plot tasking you with restoring a wrecked city to its former glory by convincing its former inhabitants to return by either helping them, force or simply talking to them. When you thought you were the only human in the Island, it dawns on the protagonist that there's another one at work, who's primarily antagonizing your goals by attempting to enslave all digimon, and so you work towards his inevitable defeat.

I personally think that this is quite an unique game, and can't be easily compared :3 What do you guys think?
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Oh, sounds good. It's like they tried to make a 3D version of those old Digimon pet devices and then expand upon it. The whole aspect of restoring a city to it's former glory is interesting too. The only thing I can think of that comes close to that is the civilization building stages of Actraiser, but you were pretty much God, and you usually couldn't interact with the townsfolk.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
It's really a pity they decided to take after Pokemon with Digimon World 2003. Sure, enhanced graphics and a sweet storyline, but Tamers with infinite numbers of Digimon can't beat having your own pet that can cause mass destruction. Geesh, they really ruined it with having to gain city badges by beating city leaders.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
(02-23-2010 02:18 PM)Crimson Fox Wrote:
UnknownH Wrote:I present as a counter point, Sports games. Or FPS games. Same issue Erethzium.

NBA Jam and Metroid Prime would like to have a word with you.

Objection! Examples that are the exceptions. Not the rule. Doesn't count.
Heh heh But really, that is true. Exceptions.

(02-24-2010 03:10 AM)Sarita Wrote: Snip
Everyone has that idea. They just haven't used it yet.

(02-24-2010 10:07 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote:
UnknownH Wrote:I present as a counter point, Sports games. Or FPS games. Same issue Erethzium.
I'm suprised you didn't mention RPGs, FPS at least has ONLY part of it the same and thats the interface, the plots are alot more variated. You can't, for example, compare Halo 3 ODST's plot to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. You can compare the plots of some RPGs however, sadly.

Oh and you can't pick on sports games, their average consumer has the IQ of a gingerbread man.
True but those can give you much more play for your money. If you want to keep playing is the issue. And yeah. Much like the IQ of the common Halo player. But I'm just being mean there. Good defense though.

(02-24-2010 06:33 PM)Crimson Fox Wrote: Bleh, that's no problem. I'll just exploit his weakness. *has his Totodile bite the head off of Falkner's Pidgeotto* It's very hard for your opponent to win without its head. *smirks darkly*
I'll just go through it the same I always do. Powerfully. Water is a sign on mine.

SMT and KH are good games. That's why they're still going.

What game was that DMX?
What game was what, Unknown? o:
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
um....
pokemon, used to play it when
i was little and i still do with
my mates.

it ain't bad to play.
Well wonder what would happen if I told everyone who I liked on here a lot!!
Creative Minds
The OCA
(02-25-2010 02:56 PM)UnknownH Wrote: True but those can give you much more play for your money. If you want to keep playing is the issue. And yeah. Much like the IQ of the common Halo player. But I'm just being mean there. Good defense though.
Hey if they were smart, I wouldn't be as inclined to kill them now would i? Cool
And yeah you're right about the seemingly forever gameplay of RPGs, but personally i LIKE finishing plots. It gives me a cocktail of sadness and victorious glory, probably one of the best feelings to ever get from a game. I lose interest in RPG plots VERY easily.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
(02-25-2010 09:51 PM)DragonMasterX Wrote: What game was what, Unknown? o:

This one you were talking about.

(02-25-2010 04:32 AM)DragonMasterX Wrote: It's really a pity they decided to take after Pokemon with Digimon World 2003. Sure, enhanced graphics and a sweet storyline, but Tamers with infinite numbers of Digimon can't beat having your own pet that can cause mass destruction. Geesh, they really ruined it with having to gain city badges by beating city leaders.
Digimon World 2003? If you meant you wanted to know what THAT game is, it's Digimon World 3, but in its european version if I recall correctly.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad