Join our server on Discord

Pokemon Generation V announced
The pokemon games were kinda fun, but they really haven't added anything over the years. Heck they haven't even added new pokemon really except for the legendary ones.

Starly, Staravia, Staraptor brand new pokemon? Or a pidgey with a paintjob? You decide.

I want a pokemon game that works kinda like the MMBN games, where they appear on a grid kinda thing and move around attacking, would make it better since you have more control over wheither attacks hit or not and would actively dodge attacks, like they do in the show, instead of just standing there and getting wailed on untill dumb-luck makes an attack miss.
"Stand tall and shake the heavens!" - Xenogears.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
You have the Mystery Dungeon for those.
And yes, all the games have a bird and a rat pokemon early in the game. All you do it just get them. That's it. "Vendor Trash" Pokemon. (Copyright VG Cats)

(02-21-2010 05:52 PM)Crimson Fox Wrote: Well, they've already used most basic species of animal and plants, and basic elements. They have created baby versions of several of the pokemon and even gone back to give evolutions to older pokemon. There are machine-like pokemon, those that can travel through space, represent the cosmos, travel through dimensions, and others that are essentially gods or based on myths. So yeah, they've already used up many ideas.

I suppose they're limited due to their target market/desired ESRB rating, but it would be nice if they'd go for some more daring designs. Like maybe some small, cute looking imp with a twisted grin who carries a bloody looking axe. Hey, they already essentially have a "god" pokemon, why not go for more demonic pokemon as well and classify them as a new type? Yeah, I know there's a Dark type already, but Umbreon doesn't look twisted in the least.
What do they go for? They go for God! ...No wait, they have that already.
And if you want a demon like pokemon, try Giratina. But maybe they'll make a "Chaos" or "Entropy" pokemon. And we need about three legendaries for three different types. Bug, Fighting, Poison. I counted of course. But who hasn't.
There'd better be a damn shiny pidgey in this one.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
Meh, Pokemon got boring at Sapphire/Ruby...I mean, come on, it's the same game over and over again. 8 badges -> final 4 -> win. Ever since Red/Blue.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
I present as a counter point, Sports games. Or FPS games. Same issue Erethzium.
(02-23-2010 10:02 AM)Erethzium Wrote: Meh, Pokemon got boring at Sapphire/Ruby...I mean, come on, it's the same game over and over again. 8 badges -> final 4 -> win. Ever since Red/Blue.

That's why I really liked Gold and Silver. It wasn't just that formula. You think the game is over after being the elite four, but then you find out that you can now go back to Kanto for another eight badges to access the true final boss. The day and night mechanics were also really nice even though they drained the hell out of the cartridge's batteries. It really felt like they took Red and Blue, and did everything they could to make the game better. (Well except that first gym fight with Falkner, what a pussy, considering the pure challenge you had fighting Brock and Misty. (I will always pick Charmander, always.))

Eh, Ruby and Sapphire just didn't feel like it upped the formula when I played it. Sure it looked prettier, but I didn't get as much out of it.

I wish they would make a real plot to one of these games someday. It's not like they don't have the capabilities. Nintendo makes wonderfully humorous RPGs (Mario RPGs), but they're also capable of RPGs with more serious stories (Fire Emblem and Golden Sun).

UnknownH Wrote:I present as a counter point, Sports games. Or FPS games. Same issue Erethzium.

NBA Jam and Metroid Prime would like to have a word with you.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
Quote:The day and night mechanics were also really nice even though they drained the hell out of the cartridge's batteries. It really felt like they took Red and Blue, and did everything they could to make the game better. (Well except that first gym fight with Falkner, what a pussy, considering the pure challenge you had fighting Brock and Misty. (I will always pick Charmander, always.))

When my friend was playing his R4 with the Jap version of Heart Gold, Falkner seems to have gotten a lot harder (he constantly heals his pokemon and also keeps lowering your attack power), so you might actually have your wish, Crimson.
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
Yeah gold and silver were the last good ones. Only one that felt like an actual sequel. Took all the charm of the original games and added more features which just made it even better. And being able to head back to Kanto was cool, don't know why they didn't do that again, probably so they have an excuse to exclude some pokemon so you have to buy the other games in order to get them. It was nice cause it actually felt like a sequel and you didn't feel like you just bought the same game you've played before.
"Stand tall and shake the heavens!" - Xenogears.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
What I think they should do.. Is sortof what they tried to do with pokemon yellow. Make a game that makes an attempt at following the show.. But not litterally. Make one that starts in Kanto.. And when you finish that, you move on to Johto.. And then the next region.. And so on until you are done. Make the later gyms and bosses scale to your level. And poof, good game.

An alternative would be to let you choose which region to start in, and thus, which region's starting set to choose from.. And scale the boss fights accordingly. The drawback to that is that they'd need a slightly different storyline for each starting region.

Also, when I say make the bosses scale.. I mean make them be within a level or two of the highest level in your party. That way if you have one max level, and a bunch of weaker ones, you're screwed if the max level gets taken out. But if you level in a balanced way, you're not totally outmatched if you didn't spend 40 hours leveling before the fight. (Or they could scale to the highest you have. But that would get pretty bad if you chose to retire your team from one region, and build another from scratch.)
If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
UnknownH Wrote:I present as a counter point, Sports games. Or FPS games. Same issue Erethzium.
I'm suprised you didn't mention RPGs, FPS at least has ONLY part of it the same and thats the interface, the plots are alot more variated. You can't, for example, compare Halo 3 ODST's plot to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. You can compare the plots of some RPGs however, sadly.

Oh and you can't pick on sports games, their average consumer has the IQ of a gingerbread man.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds