Join our server on Discord

Biggest surprise/dissapointment.
Capcom of America does worse to translations, and a hell lot of typos too. And that's okay, I'm just saying they never changed the story, which they never did.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
(01-24-2010 06:08 PM)Crimson Fox Wrote: Yeah, that seems to be an accurate picture. Especially that face for Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). *lol*

I'm surprised though that whoever made that picture didn't take a shot at Sonic R. After playing it on the Sonic Gems Collection, I would be pretty pissed as a kid to get a Sega Saturn, find out that there was finally going to be a Sonic game released for it, and then find out that it's just an racing game instead of a high speed platformer. No thanks. XP

I never thought Sonic R was so bad. Just not very big. Catchy songs, and of course, I'll let S and K say the other thing it gave us.
http://www.mgcomics.com/NFR/?ep=1247832479

In my idea, it'd be remade into a metal version.
Ah yes, the Tails Doll. An excellent creepy character and it would be cool if they'd make a horror themed level with him as a boss.

Ha, the day they do that though is the day they finally decide to finish SatAM.

(01-25-2010 12:41 PM)DragonMasterX Wrote: Capcom of America does worse to translations, and a hell lot of typos too. And that's okay, I'm just saying they never changed the story, which they never did.

Resident Evil 1 was hilarious, wasn't it?
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
Uhg. Live action clip. And Yes. I'd have had Metal Sonic rebuilt Tails Doll into a Metal Tails. Just a super creepy version of Tailes. And have him boot Metal Knuckles back up and use a Shadow Android for plans. But that's just part of a huge game idea I have.
C'mon, someone else out there must be playing some games. XP

Surprises:

Persona 4 (PS2): Even though Mar recommended it and The Spoony One gave it a good review, I was still unsure about this one. Luckily, it turned out to be one of the best RPGs I've played this year or maybe ever. The story is rather interesting and deals with the troubles that pervade society and one's inner self. The characters are also all pretty good, well except Teddy, but eh, there's always that one annoying character in any RPG. The battle system which revolves around Personas that you create is also fun. It's somewhat based on Pokemon, but is a lot deeper thanks to the fusion system, plus the designs of the Persona are strange, yet awesome, kind of like the TV world you must explore throughout the game. You'll also get your money's worth with this one. I'm only about 35 hours in the game, and I'm just a little past the midway point. Graphics are pretty good, and the musics okay, though it feels a bit too J-pop at times. All in all though, a very excellent game and really shows how fun and unique an RPG can be when the creators aren't stuck up their own ass. *looks at recent Final Fantasies*

The Magic of Scheherazade (NES): Another fun RPG I played recently. It's a very unique game and is one of the few hybrid games on the system. Though through most of the game you'll travel through the overworld and fight through dungeons like in the Legend of Zelda, you'll sometimes have to enter turn based combat with allies you've gather which is more in line with Final Fantasy. The story is okay. It's just another save the princess plot with time travel segments thrown in to vary certain levels. However, it is unique in the fact that the whole game is based on Arabian legend. Thus, some of your allies are genies and you can save your game and revive your allies at the local Mosque. You also have access to different classes which each have their own bonuses such as the Swordsman being proficient with his sword with strong attacks, or the Magician who can attack from long range and can pin his enemies down from afar. The graphics are great and the music is okay. All in all, a good hidden gem on the system.

Oh, and here's a challenge. Try saying the name to this game three times fast, or heck, even just once.

Disappointments:

Dragon Warrior II (NES): WARNING, RANT AHEAD!

I'd like to state for the record that this game was released at about the same time as both Final Fantasy I and the game I just mentioned above. Unfortunately for DWII, it fails miserably at being as fun or memorable as those two games.

The story is just a rehash of the one from Dragon Warrior I with the Dragonlord replaced with Hargon, an evil wizard. Besides the fact that Dragons > Wizards, they made no effort to improve on the story.

Even with a lame story though, maybe they made efforts to improve the battle system, right? Slightly. You do get the privledge of multiple party members this time around with a larger arsenal of weapons, but unlike Final Fantasy I or The Magic of S, DWII's hero and party members are locked completely in place with their classes with only slight stat changes based on what you name the hero. The game also learned nothing from it's predecessor and still requires a lot of level grinding on enemies that don't cough up nearly enough Exp. and that can kill you quickly before you know it.

And as a final blow to this terrible game, the graphics are barely improved from the first game with no evolution to the music.

About the only redeeming feature of this game are the monster designs. They still have that odd and cute design that Akira Toriyama (who made DBZ and Dragon Ball) uses throughout his works.

I have no idea why Japan loved this game. It's awful compared to what else was available at the time.

DWIII may have had some of the same problems, but it at least felt like a real step up from the first two Dragon Warrior games. You were able to make a custom party complete with names and class. Heck, you could even choose the gender for each party member including the main character. The world was wide and varied with plenty of secrets, and the plot at least tried to be different by throwing in a few twists so it wasn't just another rehash of "Hero, our land is in danger. Kill this one guy and all will be well." That and it at least eased up a little on the required level grinding if you created a decent party from the start. Plus, it along with Castlevania II were some of the first games to feature a day and night feature, which I though I was really unique and added a sense of urgency to the game.

Anyways, final verdict. DWII is a boring and brutally plain RPG, go play DWIII instead.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
Surprises:
FF has gone down the shitter. Yeehaw for Microsoft!..fuck you for even joining the gaming industry.
(02-20-2010 09:49 AM)AetherRose Wrote: Surprises:
FF has gone down the shitter. Yeehaw for Microsoft!..fuck you for even joining the gaming industry.

It could be worse. It could be Electronic Arts *shudders and growls* Tiberium Twilight... :@
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
A double post says ye? Well, this old dusty thing needs some revival.

Biggest suprise: Call of Pripyat

Okay, admittedly i was eager to recieve this game but i had doubts after Clear Sky. But, and i never thought it possible myself, it has actually incorperated alot of the first game's atmosphere, despite it retaining some features from CS such as the artifact system (which I now actually love to bits!). I have been playing for 7 days now and as usual, i will be posting a full review of this game in this section so others may be pursuaded to buy it.

Biggest Dissapointment: Looking at the list of 2010 games still to come out.
Really, why did they have to bring out so much awesome when i was taking exams? I suppose this is more of a whiny complaint then a valid point, but still i demand justice! or a cookie will do nicely
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
I liked Guitar Hero II. My wrists are killing me after tackling songs in Hard, though :3
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Biggest Surprise: Final Fantasy XIII

I know what many people will say - it's getting worse as it goes along. But for me it was a breath of fresh air for a change, seeing as how I never liked twelve and would have rather hanged myself. It mixes a lot of things that appear in other games (Field of vision, detection, being able to control what battles you enter) and the battle system really does take a bit of time to get used to, but keeps you on your toes and not just laid back. Borrowing as well the old mechanism of the Sphere Grid from FFX but making it HIGHLY better. You gain CP points after each battle which allows you to progress along, that same CP once you connect to a skill on the grid, will immediately learn it (Like Strength +3, Magic +3, Libra, etc), instead of having to have keys and move spheres and levels.

The game also stops cheap overgrinding by gradually unlocking the sphere grid for you, so until you progress, you can't just sit back and mine enemies for millions... well, you can do that, but they'll just be sitting there until you continue on with the game. In battle it's sort of like FF12, but again, improved. This time, you have a system which much like KH, allows you to pick what your allies do, but this time as well as yourself. So you can put someone to heal, someone to keep the attention of the enemies, and yourself as the main hitter. You can change this in battle to custom set styles YOU create, so sometimes this is key to staying alive.

Graphic-wise it is fantastic. The story takes a bit of further knowledge, reading both the notes and in between the lines to fully get a grip of. Only problem I have with it is some of the names; Lightning! Snow! Hope!.... Oh, and we must not forget, our one and only.... CCIIIIIIDDD! Yeah, there's a Cid.

Quote:Guitar Hero II

Hey, if you get the time (Not sure if that's the Guitar Hero with it on there) but tackle Through the Fire and Flames, then see how your wrist hurts. :P

But it was a surprise, seeing as how 12 turned out for me, it was really a pleasant shock.
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds