Join our server on Discord

Biggest surprise/dissapointment.
What's the greatest game you bought on a whim? Saw it in the store at a low price, garage sale, just happened to find it on the street whatever. What game did you expect to maybe be average but turned out to be amazing?

Lunar Silver star story complete. Just saw it when I was walking through a gamestop, or EB back then, thought it looked interesting and for 10 bucks wasn't too expensive so I picked it up. I was expecting a few good hours with it maybe some fun before I traded it back for something else. Nope, game was just amazing, the story is just timeless. I play through it every month or so and still love it.

South park. Wasn't expecting much from this but I figured I'd at least get a few cheap laughs from it, how wrong I was, horrible horrible game, controls sucked, targeting was horrible, the voices made my ears bleed, and the story? There was no story, even doom had a story, 'You're in hell, kill everything, escape' sure not shakespeare but at least it's something.
"Stand tall and shake the heavens!" - Xenogears.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Biggest surprise as far as good video games go, Blood Omen 2. The first had a good plotline, but I HATED the gameplay on it. Bought the second because I liked the cover, and I heard it told the story of the alternate timeline created at the end of Soul reaver 2.

I expected them to make the same kind of game with it, but this time, it was much better. Closer to Soul Reaver than the original Blood Omen, giving it both an excelent storyline, and decent gameplay value.

Greatest Dissapointment... Hmm... I'm going to say Wrath of the Black Manta for the NES. They took what could have been an epic ninja game, and created an irritating Anti-drug message that is nearly impossible to actually beat in it's place. (I have beaten it once, then imediately sold it to the Pawn shop for $2. Which is actually $0.50 more than I spent on it, so Yay for profit!)
Best? It'd have to be Battle Tanx: Global Assault for N64. Never played the original, just got it because I saw tanks and thought it might be cool. It was awesome. Sure, some of the tanks were a little unwieldy(Hovertank SUCKS), but nothing beat dropping the Nuke on your big brother in Multiplayer mode.

Worst Game? Eh....you're gonna kill me, but Final Fantasy X. I just couldn't get into it. It took forever to do stuff, no in-game save, the only saving grace for the game IMO is titties.

Now, I shall go hide from the pitchfork-wielding locals now.
The last mutt standing.

The one and only, Cowboy from Hell.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I reach the other side, 
I can show him what it feels like to die.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I'm cast out of the skies,
I can shoot the Devil right between the eyes.
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
Uhm, uhm... Spyro the Dragon: Ripto's Rage!

Y'see, when I was a kid, there was this guy who was the cousin of one of my friends. Since that guy was tired of video games, he was reselling all kinds of PS games he had bought in the exterior (That'd be around where you live, Shadow 8D) and he was selling them for around 2.5 pesos (2.5 dollars too, since at that time we were 1:1). I got a lot of games from him. Dino Crisis 2, Bloody Roar 2, King of Fighters '97 and other nice titles, including Mortal Kombat series. But.

Spyro the Dragon was the best purchase of them all. It's been over 8 years since I got that disc and it's still working, and best part of all, I play it again every year at least once. Not only that, but each time I do, I 100% three files and then I do the glitch to start the game with perma-fireball upgrade to 100% the same file yet again. XD

Sniff. Though I miss not having my Crash Bandicoot: Warped disc. I fuckin' loved completing that game too.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Suprise
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl was a big suprise for me...i was suprised at it's hybrid of rpg and fps elements, especially as i originally percieved the game as a badly made game made by a company with not enough funds for advertising. However, i was greatly suprised to find this not to be the case. The plot is lovably twisted, The controls are very easy to use and the graphics of the Zone are just awestriken.

Dissapointment
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Now lets just start by saying i do not like squad based games like Full Sectrum Warrior; i find them overly complex, berift of any actual control (Everything is programmed to one button each, you don't decide how the squad runs and theres always a limit to their functionality) and boring. I expected Dragon rising to be like Battlefield:Bad company in the sense that it has big explosions, vehicle usage and tasks etc only with a storyline that isn't a complete joke and to be much more of a challenge.
It wasn't. What it is is a complete waste of my time, an incoherent overly popular game with a badly concieved controls layout and an ambition to hurt my love of warfare.
Others may come back at this saying "you aren't playing it properly" or "you're a noob, grow some balls". I bought this game with the intention to have fun, not to be forever going back to checkpoints to complete one measly objective after 3 sweaty hours of trying. Hate the game, hate it's genre, love Call of Duty and Halo 3.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
This is a really good topic.

Quote:South park. Wasn't expecting much from this but I figured I'd at least get a few cheap laughs from it, how wrong I was, horrible horrible game, controls sucked, targeting was horrible, the voices made my ears bleed, and the story? There was no story, even doom had a story, 'You're in hell, kill everything, escape' sure not shakespeare but at least it's something.
I was also very disappointed with the South Park game. I couldn't even get through it with cheat codes.

Biggest surprise: Ghostbusters for Sega Genesis. Knowing how bad Ghostbusters games for other systems were, I expected this to be pretty bad, but I bought it because it was Ghostbusters. It's actually one of the top 5 funnest games I've ever played, just the right amount of difficulty, addictive gameplay, cute graphics, and really good music.

Biggest disappointment: There are just so many. I guess I'll try one from every system I own.
Sega Game Gear: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I made it through maybe two frames.
Sega Genesis: WWF Royal Rumble. This is one of the lamest wrestling games ever.
Playstation: Transformers Beast Wars. I had heard such great things about this game, but the gameplay is just stupid and hurts my eyes on some levels.
Playstation 2: Showdown Legends of Wrestling. Here's another lame wresting game. The gameplay is actually worse than its prequels.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Biggest Surprises:
Crystalis: I bought this for very cheap at some game store out of town that still sells the old stuff. It's a wonderful action RPG on the NES, but it does a lot of things that makes it deeper its predecessors like Zelda. You have a larger world to explore, the graphics for an 8-bit game are spectacular, and variety of chargeable attacks and switch elements gives the game a bit of strategy element as well.

Okami: I saw it one day and thought the cover art looked amazing. Turned out to be one of my favorite games ever and not just on the PS2. They really pulled the cel-shaded look and ink brush mechanics well. The only issue I have is that it's kind of easy. Still loads of fun though.

Psychonauts: Found this at the local comic book store for a few bucks and I love it. While it's ho-hum in terms of platforming on the PS2, it's story and humor is what makes every moment worth it. Do yourself a favor and get this, everyone deserves to play through the Milkman Conspiracy.

Sparkster: I got this for three bucks, but it's worth way more than that. It's a really great SNES platformer made by some of the people who worked on Contra III. The graphics and music are outstanding and its a fairly fast game that tries to vary it's levels up. Heck, one of them plays out like a space shooter as you whiz through space with a jetpack.

Biggest Disappointments:

Final Fantasy X: Actually, I agree with you, Cowboy. I didn't care for it either. I liked the world and story, but I hated most of the characters. That and the difficulty just got ridiculous after the second Seymour fight. Damn Yunalesca and her Mega Death spell, talk about cheap. Oh, and lets not forget about that awkward laugh scene. XP

Mortal Kombat II: I suppose it doesn't help that I suck at fighting games, but I can enjoy games like Street Fighter II and Tekken. However, I am not a fan of this game. I like the characters and hilarious amount of brutality, but I don't care for it as a game.

Paperboy: I rented this way back in the day on the Genesis and I got a copy for real cheap. I don't know if I was blissfully unaware when I was a kid, but this game is awful. Oh sure, the idea of playing a paperboy in a neighbor of psychos and Grim Reapers sounds fun enough. But no, I found it unforgiving and the controls...just terrible. At least the two games above had some redeeming qualities in my opinion.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
Surprise

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis

While Yoosei was over here, we popped into the city centre and decided to check out a few games. After looking over all the new stuff, my eye caught notice to this lonely game. The case was twice the size of a normal game, and it had anime characters on. Something about it lured to me, and I bought it. Actually, I didn't expect much, but then wow. After about 200 odd hours of gameplay (I'm not even done yet!), something about it was just spectacular. Came with it's own OST, the characters are unique and loveable, the music is top notch and always memorizable (They sure know how to make their music unique that you can tell it's made by the same company) and there's just so much to do. I certainly do not regret buying this at all, but I've heard (and seen for myself) the horrible port it had to the PSP. If at anything, I'm glad I got it for the PS2. Best buy for ages.

Disappointment

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

If you ever find an existing copy for this on the Sega Genesis, Megadrive, whatever name you want to call it, BURN IT. BURN IT AND IT'S HORRIBLE EXISTENCE. You can die by hitting your head on a roof with no spikes, you can die in grass, shallow water, by bones... controls horrible, whip is useless in game, punch is literally impossible unless perfectly timed. End of the game is a disappointment, and guess what? This is on EASY MODE TOO. I hate to see the hell it is on Hard. Like I said, burn it. Burn any existence of this horrible game.
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
Surprise

Left 4 Dead

I never heard of this game before I saw a youtube of it, so I brought it and tried it. It has tons of replay valve.

Disappointment

Valve (compine)

I can see why you give stuff for game that you pre-order, bur DON'T ever put unlock-able stuff in your other games if you need to pre-order a game before hand (eg: if you want to get Bill's Hat in TF2 you need to pre-order L4D2)
[Image: 34snomc.png]

[Image: DarkChibimon.png]
Gabumon Loverz
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
Veemon's Followers
Lady Devimon's Minions
Creative Minds
Biggest suprise: Drakengard for the ps2. Bought it i9n the co-op on a whim and I became addicted to the thing. The blend of heavy fantasy and mindless hack and slash was amazing, oh yeah and the freaking huge dragon.

Legend of zelda twilight princess/Phantom Hourglass. Always been a big fan of these games and I was worried that the control systems for the ds and wii would ruin this for me, but after a few minutes I was controlling the game with ease, it felt natural.

Biggest dissapointment: Sonic the hedgehog for the 360. To date this is the only sonic game I have ever owned and not completed. I hate the controls for it, they were done a few weeks before the project was finished and its obvious throughout the whole game. Also I hate playing as silver, wheres the jumping mad bouncing and cray combos your never sure of, all I can do is pick stuff up and throw it. This is the only sonic game I played that I don't like. I even liked sonic and the secret rings, shadow the hedgehog and sonic R ( beat that twice in one day once) The whole experience is one reason I avoided sonic unleashed, that and sonic should not be a werewolf.

Mass Effect. Could not get into this game, I put in somewhere about 10 to 15 hours in this game and just could not get intrested. I spent most of my time in lifts lost in the citadel or getting killed by biotics. The story managed to sway my intrest for a while but i could not adjust to the weapon controls, hated sniping on that game.
Renamon's Army
The OCA
Gabumon Loverz