Join our server on Discord

Team Fortress 2
This is Doctor Evangeline with an evaluation on the new weapons from the WAR! Update. Let's start with my favorite, the Soldier.

The Soldier's upgrades were centered more around increasing the payoffs from being nothing short of a super bad-ass.

The Direct Hit

As the name would imply, the new rocket launcher does away with the bullshit of splash damage in favor of more focused damage and a faster rocket. You will not likely get many multi-kills with one rocket with this because of the narrower splash damage, but it's better for people who are more direct with their shots.

Verdict: A+

You can debate whether or not it's better than the rocket launcher, but it's very good for singular stationary targets, like a Sentry Gun, or a Heavy.

The Equalizer

Replacing the shovel with a pick-axe, the equalizer is a melee weapon that makes the Soldier faster and more powerful the more he gets injured. The more preferred point to utilize the best HP:damage ratio is around 25. At that point, any non-overhealed class that isn't a Soldier or Heavy will get killed in one non-critical hit. Mind you, at 25 HP, there's no room for error, and no room for you to get torched by Pyros. Not to mention that as long as the Equalizer is out, Medics can't heal you.

It's a ballsy weapon to use, but trust me, one hit kills on almost the entire roster is awesome. Plus, there's no otherwise passive downside to using this weapon over the shovel, so what have you got to lose?

The Buff Banner

I predicted this weapon back in August. If only I made the effort to post it on the TF2 forums...

The Buff Banner acts like a reverse Jarate. You cause damage with your other weapons (Rocket launcher and melee weapon) to fill up the Soldier's rage meter. When it hits max, whip out the Buff Banner and make a war call to boost the morale of your allies. Unlike the Jarate, you use this on your allies, and for 14 seconds, everyone in your area on your team will gain minicrits. This almost makes the Jarate obsolete, but Jarate's only restriction is time and the targets, not the allies and user's skill.

The Buff Banner's only downside is that you HAVE to be an absolute badass to be able to use it, but a good Soldier combined with the Buff Banner and a small squad behind him is remarkably terrifying, not to mention devastating.

The Gunboats

The unique item the Soldier won from the War. Iron-clad shoes that greatly reduce the damage from rocket jumping.

Verdict: C-

It takes up the secondary slot, which is shared by the Buff Banner and the Shotgun. How many times ARE you going to be shooting yourself in the foot to reach higher ground? Compared to the Buff Banner in the hands of a badass, there's no competition. It's only really good if you don't get use out of the shotgun and the Buff Banner.

The Demoman's full name is revealed to be Tavish DeGroot in this update. His new arsenal is all about expanding on his Scottish descent.

The Eyelander

A parody of the Highlander movie, the Eyelander is a Scottish claymore that, with every head the Demoman lops off his enemies, he gains more HP and speed that remains active even if he's not holding the weapon until he dies. At 4 heads, he'll have the second most HP in the game and turns into the second fastest class. You also have a larger range in which you can lop heads off when using this weapon. The downside is that the Eyelander does not get random critical hits, and the Demoman starts off with slightly less health.

In close-quarters levels, it's a good choice. If you can counter the whole lesser HP thing, then it's a destructive weapon in the hands of a pro.

Chargin' Targe

This weapon replaces the Sticky Bomb Launcher slot, which completely eliminates the ability to be a defensive Scotty. This support item is always equipped, and unlike the Razorback, you wear on the forearm like an actual shield. Like Jarate, the Targe needs to be charged up with time before you can unleash its power. Upon doing so, the Demoman charges forth, gaining temporary crits and almost no ability to turn. This works best with the Eyelander, as the critical hit damage is a guaranteed 195 damage on the enemy, which will kill a non-overhealed non-Heavy or Soldier. The Targe, unlike the Razorback, will also give you some protection from explosions and fire, cutting all damage in half. Ballistics will still kick your ass, however, and since the Targe is not on your back, it does jack shit against backstabs.

Verdict: B+

The Targe does have its good points, but only works truly well when you're using the Eyelander. Without it, it's best bet is to be used as a shield against Pyros and Soldiers and an escape tool, which you wouldn't have done if you had just brought your stickybomb launcher. Speaking of which...

The Scottish Resistance

This variant of the stickybomb launcher gives the Demoman more priority on strategic predetermined defense. The SR gives you the ability to chuck out 6 more bombs than usual, have the ability to blow up ENEMY bombs, and blow up only the bombs that you are currently looking at. The downside is that it can't be used as a fallback weapon like the regular launcher, since it takes 0.4 seconds longer to prime the bombs once they leave the barrel.

Verdict: A

I haven't tested this weapon myself, but I understand the concept and the damage that could be done in the hands of a skilled player really pissed off Scotsman.
[Image: WalkingEye-1.jpg]

No super-villain can resist the temptation of a Walking Eye.
The OCA
I bet you guys who have TF2 are busy achievement farming to get the new weapons, huh? Well, it's impossible to do it with bots now. Valve removed that ability. I, however, managed to get them all in the past hour (without cheating, jackasses), and I tested them all.

The Engineer gets a plethora of new stuff. The first one I noticed was now he can repackage his buildings and haul them across the battlefield, setting them up in a new location. This keeps the building's current level and everything, but the Engy moves about as fast as the Heavy when carrying it.

It saves a hell of a lot of time when relocating all your equipment to the front of the battlefield. Shame you can't do that to the stupid Engies that build at the last control point during setup.

The Frontier Justice

The shotgun everyone was squawking about back in the Mac vs. PC trailer. The Frontier Justice only has half the magazine capacity as the normal shotgun and does not get critical hits. It relies on the Sentry Gun to give it it's power. When the Sentry Gun dies, the Engy gets guaranteed crits with it; 2 for every kill the sentry made, and 1 for every assist. The taunt is also a brilliant surprise.

This makes the Engy a bit terrifying, as he should be. He spent the past 3 years rebuilding his beautiful Sentry Gun every time one of you assholes blew it up. And he wants revenge.

The Gunslinger

Now we know why the Engy wears that rubber glove. Apparently that's what he was working on in the second trailer. The Engineer went and replaced his right hand with a robot hand. Masturbation jokes are forbidden.

With the Gunslinger, he gets a second taunt kill. He also gets another 50 HP, but loses random crits. Finally, he swaps his normal sentry gun for a cute mini-sentry gun that deploys extremely quickly for 100 metal and can take potshots at enemies. It's extremely weak, however, and can't be repaired or upgraded. The shots are also extremely weak. You'd be better off someone aimbotting with the Engy's pistol.

Verdict: C

Not exactly worth the organic hand, Engy. Hope an update comes out soon to validate using the minisentry.

The Wrangler

Replacing the Engy's useless pistol, the Wrangler allows him to take full control of his Sentry Gun, giving it a shield in the process. This will allow him to shoot pretty much anywhere he pleases with the gun, at the loss of the gun aiming on its own during your time holding the controller out and 3 seconds after you put it away. It's also very tricky to aim with, since you'd need to see where the enemy is and make sure your Sentry can hit it. The enemy could also see where the gun is aiming with a bright colored laser emanating from the gun's barrel, more obvious than the Sniper's. On the other hand, that Soldier on the other end of the goldrush map is about to have the grin wiped off his face when the gun starts shooting at him far away from it's normal range. And that spy is not going to have a very good day when he gets blasted from the gun while cloaked and disguised.

Verdict: A

This could be very difficult to juggle when trying to not get shot yourself (even though you still have full movement when using it), but please. We all had that dream where we wanted to manually aim the Sentry gun. 3 years of dreaming has finally paid off.

The OCA
I've heard (Haven't tried it yet) that a glitch using the wrench to build a regular level 3 sentry. You can use the gunslinger to pick up the level 3 and when it's redeployed it's a mini level 3.
Gabumon Loverz
Veemon's Followers
Renamon's Army
TF2 is fucking badass.
First unlock I have to get has to be Wrangler. Enough said. :P

By the way, does anyone know the Craft Combinations to make them other than the Southern Hospitality? (Made with an Ambassador + 1 Scrap Metal)
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
As far as I know the rest have to be done using regular crafting

I.e. Slot token + class token + scrap metal

And of course the best unfortunately is always last. So the wrangler is the last milestone.
Gabumon Loverz
Veemon's Followers
Renamon's Army
Daaamn. That's unfortunate, especially when there's thousands of other engineers trying to do the exact same achievements.
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
99% of the time. Somehow, I found a server last night that DIDN'T have ONE Engineer on the assault team (Badwater map). I had to go as Engineer for that round. I'm not a number one Engineer, but I do pretty damn good. Using the Wrangler is fun. Admit it, every person who played as the Engineer ever has always wanted to control that Sentry Gun.

The OCA
I just got it this game last month. Its a really awesome fight game. If I am talking about that characters so all the characters are really very great to made , its very its very nice suite for this game.
More items have been released! Now you can buy the items, but it's not something I'm prepared to do. Since you can also get them in the conventional ways (chance, crafting, etc.), I'll be reviewing them here as well. this will be over a longer span of time, since I don't have all the items yet.

Black Box (Primary weapon, Soldier)

The Black Box is a small black box-shaped rocket launcher. It's kinda ugly as hell, and the shots make quite a racket. Each hit on an enemy gives you +15 HP, but this effect doesn't multiply for hitting multiple enemies with one rocket. As a downside, you only get 3 shots in the rocket launcher instead of 4, but your reserve rounds remain the same.

Verdict: B+

It's a great effect and you don't lose any splash range or damage, but you'd be surprised at how much you've taken that fourth rocket for granted. If you're facing a Heavy, that fourth rocket usually finished the job unless you got a critical hit. It's annoying when you know that all it would have taken was one more rocket; that one rocket that you sacrificed for the Black Box.

The Tribalman's Shiv (Melee Weapon, Sniper)

A Polycount-made weapon, the Tribalman's Shiv is a red serrated Kukri. It only deals 50% normal damage, but it makes the enemy bleed (an effect similar to afterburn that can only be healed with a medkit), causing 8.5 damage every second for 6 seconds.

Verdict: B

It pretty much deals the same damage over a longer period of time, but the bleeding effect may cause the lighter enemies to fall back.

The OCA