Join our server on Discord

This thread goes...
D, awhile ago you said something along the lines of "Just because it's debatable doesn't mean it has to be debated." I couldn't agree more. The trouble is, it usually is debated anyway. That's why I strongly discourage politics. It's debatable--and like it or not, it's GOING to be debated.

You are right though. Nothing I said in that post said that politics had to be kept to the debate thread. What I DID say, however, not in that post but very often since I've been here, is that if a topic becomes a debate it should be moved there.

It's okay for you to blow off steam in rants. That's why it's there, but you must realize that if your steam contains political views, other people are going to want to defend their own views against what you said. It's just inevitable. I know that's not your fault, but it's the way things work, and I'd like to keep the peace.

Against my gut feeling, maybe there's a way to compromise. I'll have a chat with the rest of the staff and then get back to you.

You seem to be saying that you didn't intend for it to become a debate, but somehow it did. You mentioned that you were forced to respond, but nobody threatened your account. I guess nobody threatened theirs either, and you're more than welcome to debate if you want to, but like I said, just keep debates in the debate room. That's why Wise moved it there.

I read the entire History truly does repeat itself thread. You mentioned that you didn't ask for people to reply with their opinions. I agree with Lost Requiem's response to that: What did you expect them to reply with? If their opinions differ from yours, I doubt they will just say "Well forget what I believe, I'm gonna follow BigD!"

There's nothing wrong with debating. However, it was a debate (that you willingly participated in) and so it was moved to its proper place. I'm sorry if you don't like it there, but a debate is a debate. If it was just a rant, the first few posts weren't very controversial. Even yours-- it stated something that ticked you off and why you disagreed with it. However, as Wisemon said, it was something that really didn't apply to just you and was open for discussion, so it did become a debate.