Join our server on Discord

This thread goes...
Alright, I'd like something nailed down, and that is; outside of the rules, what dictates what part of the forum a post goes in?

I'm bringing this up because of what Wisemon did with my post "History truly repeats itself". I felt that my putting it in the Rant thread showed it was a rant, I made absolutely no suggestions it was meant to be a debate, and after Wisemon moved it, I asked twice that it be put back in the Rant thread.

According to Wisemon, his sole reason for moving it to the debate thread was that he felt it was a debatable topic. In response to this, I pointed out he was free to start his own thread on the subject; by moving it to the debate thread, not only was he changing the rules I had to follow (I posted the topic in the Rant thread solely so I could let it all out), he was forcing me into the position of defending my views, which I had no interest in doing as I didn't care what people thought of my words (I did however wanted it understood where my words were coming from, which is why I responded to his posts).

And now, even though I made it clear I was going to continue to use the thread in the manner I originally intended, Wisemon has closed it because I broke the rules of the debate thread, even though I never intended it to be in the debate thread in the first place. Now, is there some rule in the Mod forum that says a mod can move a post to any area he/she pleases based on his/her own opinion of the subject? Or was I breaking any rules by posting it in the Rant thread?

I'm asking this because it is very hard to follow the rules if a mod is going to essentially change the ones I'm under. So I ask again; outside of the rules, what decides if a post qualifies as a rant or a debate or anything else? And if Wisemon has overstepped his authority, I would very much appreciate something being done.
(03-10-2009 02:25 PM)BigD Wrote: Alright, I'd like something nailed down, and that is; outside of the rules, what dictates what part of the forum a post goes in?

The administrators and moderators jointly decided a while ago that the only appropriate place for politics on the board was the Debates room. Political discussions were banned from the entire board for several weeks, but re-allowed in the Debates room only (http://www.digiartistsdomain.org/phpboar...p?tid=7008).

Quote:According to Wisemon, his sole reason for moving it to the debate thread was that he felt it was a debatable topic. In response to this, I pointed out he was free to start his own thread on the subject; by moving it to the debate thread, not only was he changing the rules I had to follow (I posted the topic in the Rant thread solely so I could let it all out), he was forcing me into the position of defending my views, which I had no interest in doing as I didn't care what people thought of my words (I did however wanted it understood where my words were coming from, which is why I responded to his posts).

Unless I am mistaken, all three areas of the Boiler Room have the same criteria for posting. Ad hominem attacks in either of the three should result in a topic being closed. If you had no interest in defending your views, you should have just left your posts as they were instead of responding to other posters' commentary. That's how you got your topic locked.

Quote:And now, even though I made it clear I was going to continue to use the thread in the manner I originally intended, Wisemon has closed it because I broke the rules of the debate thread, even though I never intended it to be in the debate thread in the first place. Now, is there some rule in the Mod forum that says a mod can move a post to any area he/she pleases based on his/her own opinion of the subject? Or was I breaking any rules by posting it in the Rant thread?

Generally, moderators move material to where it belongs best, except in the cases of fights, which go to Let's Take it Outside, and topics of politics, which go to the Debate room. To make this clearer, I will edit forum rules posts to contain that information.

Quote:I'm asking this because it is very hard to follow the rules if a mod is going to essentially change the ones I'm under. So I ask again; outside of the rules, what decides if a post qualifies as a rant or a debate or anything else? And if Wisemon has overstepped his authority, I would very much appreciate something being done.

Calling for a mod's head on a plate when you're the one who got the topic closed isn't the best idea.
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

Quote:The administrators and moderators jointly decided a while ago that the only appropriate place for politics on the board was the Debates room. Political discussions were banned from the entire board for several weeks, but re-allowed in the Debates room only (http://www.digiartistsdomain.org/phpboar...tid=7008).

There's nothing in that post saying the debate thread was the only place for politics.

1. I strongly encourage explicit language.
2. Any insults or arguments that develop here stay here.
3. Unless a thread gets really hateful, I'm pretty much going to let anything go. So, let your shit fly free!
4. Do not reply to this sticky.

These were the rules I saw in the Rant thread and they were the ones I was going by when I decided to post it there. I wanted to let out all my frustration with what was going on.

So what I intend the post to be has absolutely no say in where it goes? I'm to be forced into a debate I don't want even though I make it clear I'm just wanting to vent and all but tell people not to start a debate?

Explain to me the harm I was causing by putting it in the Rant thread; all I was doing was letting out my frustration about what was going on, and my understanding is the Rant thread is the place for that. No one had to respond, and I even put up links for people to go to if they had questions about my feelings (I said, over and over, that Robert Ringer could explain my views better than I could). Why did it HAVE to go into the debate thread, especially when I, the poster, did not want to debate it?

Furthermore, debating politics and ranting about politics are two different things, therefore how can anything political always be a debate? Is there not a difference when a person wants someone else's opinion on the subject and is just letting off steam about something a politician is doing?

Quote:Calling for a mod's head on a plate when you're the one who got the topic closed isn't the best idea.

I didn't care that he locked it; if he wants to learn reality the hard way, fine by me (the nice thing about reality is that it will eventually prove itself right). My beef was him forcing me into a debate I didn't want.

Also, why was my "Shit's gonna hit the fan no matter who wins" post in the Rant thread left there when it was pretty much a rant about politics like "History truly repeats itself"? Maybe that being left there was what convinced me the Rant thread was the proper place for my recent post? If Wisemon (who was fully aware of that post) was just following the rules, why did he not move it to the debate thread?
To be frank, you should have known that a political issue will ALWAYS spark debate, no matter where or when you are. It's one of the largest social topics out there. It's hard to respond to a thread like that without discussing the situation or blatantly kissing your ass.
[Image: WalkingEye-1.jpg]

No super-villain can resist the temptation of a Walking Eye.
The OCA
I'm not indulging further discussion of this matter. Topics of politics belong in the Debate room and nowhere else; end of line.

(03-11-2009 04:18 PM)Lost Requiem Wrote: To be frank, you should have known that a political issue will ALWAYS spark debate, no matter where or when you are. It's one of the largest social topics out there. It's hard to respond to a thread like that without discussing the situation or blatantly kissing your ass.

As I said in the thread, "Who said you had to respond?" That it's a debatable topic doesn't mean it has to be debated

Quote:I'm not indulging further discussion of this matter. Topics of politics belong in the Debate room and nowhere else; end of line

Then I'll just take my objection up the ladder. If your answer is simply that it's policy, then I say the policy is flawed.
...I'm pretty sure you're at the top of the ladder. You can't get much higher than an Admin.
The last mutt standing.

The one and only, Cowboy from Hell.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I reach the other side, 
I can show him what it feels like to die.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I'm cast out of the skies,
I can shoot the Devil right between the eyes.
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
(03-12-2009 09:42 AM)BigD Wrote: Then I'll just take my objection up the ladder. If your answer is simply that it's policy, then I say the policy is flawed.

SonicHowler! was the one who made that rule to begin with, but feel free to take it to him anyway, if it makes you feel better.

Quote:SonicHowler! was the one who made that rule to begin with, but feel free to take it to him anyway, if it makes you feel better.

What would make me feel better is if I got a better answer than just "that's policy". I raised what I believe were legitimate problems with some of the rules on this forum and just telling me "those were the rules we agreed to" doesn't do anything.
I have the perfect answer for this, if only it was my buisness. I'll delete the earlier post, I realize I should never have spoken in this topic to begin with.