Join our server on Discord

Sold My Wii
(03-06-2009 05:10 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: Since when is calling me a douche in any form productive?

Sorry about that :3, but it did get you to actually stop ranting and pose a really great question that I don't mind fielding at all.

Quote:I have been told by a number of people who own a Wii that few games actually use the motion sensor to it's full capacity.

Honestly, it depends what games you're playing. I don't own that many games for the Wii (only seven, plus Wii sports), but all of them use the Wii remote in at least two distinctly different ways. Keep in mind that these are all relatively high profile games produced by serious companies. None of that Majesco bullshit in my library.

I have Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which I always forget I own, I haven't played it since July), and the two Wii Trauma Centre Games. Oh, and Wii Sports.

Where you start running into trouble with bad implementation of Wii controls - or complete non-usage of them - is when you look at all the bargain-bin filler crap. But hey, every system...scratch that, the PS3 doesn't really...okay, so the Wii and 360 BOTH have piles of crappy bargain bin games. They just happen to be different genres.

The Wii's bin games are primarily party games or really dodgy rail shooters. The 360's bin games are expired sports titles with increasingly large numbers and a frightening number of Halo clones. But it'd be a mistake to judge a system by its bad games, either in badness or in quantity. The SNES was practically drowning in mascot-themed 2D side-scrollers by the time it retired, but does that make it a bad system?
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

Quote:Well not all games on the DS use the Touch Screen is except for just menus.

Something I've observed with DS games is that the Touch Screen is a very revolutionary manner of playing, not only because the input is different, but because of the variated interactions you get to do depending on the game.

Take for example MegaMan Star Force: Leo/Dragon/Pegasus. There are a few instances in which you only depend on the touch screen, most of the time them being instances just-before-bosses. Like in the first one, where you ride mechanical bulls and "Balance Icons" start randomly and quickly appearing around the shaking bull, and you have to touch them repeatedly without missing or you fail and have to start all over (Not to mention to HP Drain penalty).

However, there are games which FULLY implement it! Take heed, The World Ends with You. It utilizes the touch screen only, and to do some attacks you have to slash your stylus across an enemy, touch them, drag objects towards them, draw a circle to summon a pillar of damaging light and etcetera. Cool stuff, aye?
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
(03-07-2009 12:54 AM)DragonMasterX Wrote: However, there are games which FULLY implement it! Take heed, The World Ends with You. It utilizes the touch screen only, and to do some attacks you have to slash your stylus across an enemy, touch them, drag objects towards them, draw a circle to summon a pillar of damaging light and etcetera. Cool stuff, aye?

And LostMagic, an RTS for the DS, where you use the Touch Screen to command your units, and draw symbols to cast spells! :D

And don't forget Wario Ware: Touched! where you don't use the buttons AT ALL. Except to pause the game. The game is 100% controlled by the Touch Screen, and the Microphone.

There's many other examples. Sure, not EVERY game uses the Touch Screen a whole lot, but you cannot say that it is not used at all or not a whole lot.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
(03-06-2009 10:53 PM)senjuro Wrote: The 360's bin games are expired sports titles with increasingly large numbers and a frightening number of Halo clones. But it'd be a mistake to judge a system by its bad games, either in badness or in quantity. The SNES was practically drowning in mascot-themed 2D side-scrollers by the time it retired, but does that make it a bad system?
Firstly, what Halo clones? If you're talking about Mass Effect then i can't help you there, nor with Bioshock because i don't own them.

Warning: Long ass point making below.
Second, you're right about the SNES. I just don't like the controllers that you get with the Wii; I'm all for new technology, just not for the ones that alienate me. For instance, the 360 has wireless controllers. Now, this is an acceptable form of new technology because the old Xbox had roughly the same handsets and making them wireless was just a really good idea. Letting the handset control a movie instead of needing a DVD Remote add-on was also a good idea.
But this wasn't the case for Nintendo. Before the Wii, Nintendo made the Gamecube. This had comfortable handsets, tiny discs and it was very good (although i never bought one); after all it introduced me to SSBM, a truly funtastic game in it's own right. The handsets weren't really bad either, although the thumbsticks were rather annoying as they were curved outwards on the top (not inwards like the 360s) and this caused my sweaty fingers to slide off like they did on the 64.
Now ideally, they would run with the same handset idea, maybe tweak it a little and only change the performance and size right? Nope, Nintendo thought it would be a great idea if they made a completely NEW controller for their new console, one which required you to use physical ability to play your games. One where you could also attach it to many (profitable) pieces of plastic, which were given unique names such as "Wii Blaster" (not Gun for some reason) or "Wiichuck". And thats what i really don't like about the Wii, the controllers were not only wrong but terrible to use!

Take for example if i'm playing Wii Tennis or whatever it's called at Ghostiemon's house, and it's my turn to swing. How am i supposed to know how much power i put behind it and where i swing? I don't get a meter, i don't have any buttons to press, i just swing! and it doesn't work because i swing as hard as i can at the middle of the screen, thinking that the console would sort it out with some hidden handicap system. but no! all i get is a ball clobbered in the net and stress levels that not even Left 4 Dead can endure. So i use the old Gamecube controller instead; this is perfect for playing! it's got the right handset, it's not shaped like an X wing (Nintendo 64 handset) or a phallic object (Wii), it's just two handles and a nice layout of buttons, bumpers and thumbsticks.

I wanted to like the Wii, i really did. i wanted to have my own trippy blue lighted disc drive and being able to play all the great old and new games on it, but now i just can't bare to even look at one anymore. You even admitted Senjuro that you don't even play Brawl anymore. How the hell is it possible to neglect a game where Konami, Sega and Nintendo characters, accompanied by epic music, fight each other into submission? How can a game which was hyped up in the gaming community then suddenly become "Super Smash Bros: Brawl; Meh"?
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
(03-07-2009 08:55 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: Take for example if i'm playing Wii Tennis or whatever it's called at Ghostiemon's house, and it's my turn to swing. How am i supposed to know how much power i put behind it and where i swing? I don't get a meter, i don't have any buttons to press, i just swing! and it doesn't work because i swing as hard as i can at the middle of the screen, thinking that the console would sort it out with some hidden handicap system. but no! all i get is a ball clobbered in the net and stress levels that not even Left 4 Dead can endure.

Well, you're doing something wrong, then. When I got my Wii on launch day, I quickly learned how to play, with no troubles at all. You don't need to swing hard, or in a certain place.

And also, the ones selling the stupid plastic pieces are 3rd party companies. Nintendo only made the gun attachment that looks like a Super Scope, and is actually a REAL attachment, not just a piece of plastic, like the 3rd party ones.

Maybe Wii just isn't for you, GMSG. But that's no reason to call it a bad system.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
(03-07-2009 08:55 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: Firstly, what Halo clones? If you're talking about Mass Effect then i can't help you there, nor with Bioshock because i don't own them.

If it's a crappy first person shooter that isn't a Halo game, a CoD game, or made by Valve (ie. Haze, Too Human, Far Cry, etc.)

Quote:I just don't like the controllers that you get with the Wii; I'm all for new technology, just not for the ones that alienate me. For instance, the 360 has wireless controllers. Now, this is an acceptable form of new technology because the old Xbox had roughly the same handsets and making them wireless was just a really good idea.

The Wii controllers all communicate with the Wii via wireless Bluetooth communication.

Quote:Nintendo thought it would be a great idea if they made a completely NEW controller for their new console, one which required you to use physical ability to play your games. One where you could also attach it to many (profitable) pieces of plastic, which were given unique names such as "Wii Blaster" (not Gun for some reason) or "Wiichuck". And thats what i really don't like about the Wii, the controllers were not only wrong but terrible to use!

It was called the Wii Blaster to come across similarly as the NES lightgun, the Zapper. Also, games that have used motion to play games have been around for ages, and I'm NOT talking about the Power Glove. I mean arcade racing games that had wheels, bike chasis, and so on. And your opinion, while valid, kind of goes contrary to popular opinion. I mean, the Wii was only just recently overtaken by the 360 in terms of sales.

Quote:Take for example if i'm playing Wii Tennis or whatever it's called at Ghostiemon's house, and it's my turn to swing. How am i supposed to know how much power i put behind it and where i swing? I don't get a meter, i don't have any buttons to press, i just swing! and it doesn't work because i swing as hard as i can at the middle of the screen, thinking that the console would sort it out with some hidden handicap system. but no! all i get is a ball clobbered in the net and stress levels that not even Left 4 Dead can endure.

lol, I would've laughed if I saw that, mainly because people who freak out at games amuse me to no end. You sound like you just need to take a deep breath and relax!

Quote:You even admitted Senjuro that you don't even play Brawl anymore. How the hell is it possible to neglect a game where Konami, Sega and Nintendo characters, accompanied by epic music, fight each other into submission? How can a game which was hyped up in the gaming community then suddenly become "Super Smash Bros: Brawl; Meh"?

I dunno...to me it's a pretty shallow fighting game. Not as shallow as Mortal Kombat, but nowhere near as deep as DoA (which is ultra twitchy) or Street Fighter (the meter stick against which we all judge fighting games).
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

Quote:And thats what i really don't like about the Wii, the controllers were not only wrong but terrible to use!

Yeah, because nothing is better than gamepad. Screw inoavation, the only thing one should do is make stuff wireless man, that's the only "jump in technology" we need.

Also my 5 year old cousin is able to make a home run. Don't blame the game just because you can't play Baseball, haha.

Quote:You even admitted Senjuro that you don't even play Brawl anymore. How the hell is it possible to neglect a game where Konami, Sega and Nintendo characters, accompanied by epic music, fight each other into submission? How can a game which was hyped up in the gaming community then suddenly become "Super Smash Bros: Brawl; Meh"?

Just like in Super Mario Galaxy, there was nothing WRONG per say in it but there was not enough new stuff.

I thought Paper Mario was better game than Galaxy personally. That game's got to be the funniest game ever made and frankly, you remind me a lot of the Francis the chamelon from the game.

Especially 1.16 part.

(03-07-2009 10:13 AM)senjuro Wrote: It was called the Wii Blaster to come across similarly as the NES lightgun, the Zapper. Also, games that have used motion to play games have been around for ages, and I'm NOT talking about the Power Glove. I mean arcade racing games that had wheels, bike chasis, and so on. And your opinion, while valid, kind of goes contrary to popular opinion. I mean, the Wii was only just recently overtaken by the 360 in terms of sales.

No it hasn't. Wii has sold almost more than 360 and PS 3 COMBINED!

As of writing the listing is:

360: 28, 085, 951 units sold
PS3: 21, 384, 330 units sold
Wii: 45, 084, 992 units sold

http://nexgenwars.com/

Not 100% accurate but certainly does give one good idea.
[Image: Seethsig.jpg]

[Image: promo.jpg]

Lord Patamon Wrote:King of sadism alright, that's a perfect title for you
Quote:The Wii controllers all communicate with the Wii via wireless Bluetooth communication.
Yeah, I didn't mention the 360's wireless to prove it better then the Wii, i used it as an example of a good improvement. The motion control in my eyes wasn't, because it was good in theory and that theory never took into account that people like me exist.

Quote:It was called the Wii Blaster to come across similarly as the NES lightgun, the Zapper. Also, games that have used motion to play games have been around for ages, and I'm NOT talking about the Power Glove. I mean arcade racing games that had wheels, bike chasis, and so on. And your opinion, while valid, kind of goes contrary to popular opinion. I mean, the Wii was only just recently overtaken by the 360 in terms of sales.
But i want a console, not an arcade game. If i wanted an ARCADE GAME i would go to the Arcade and punch in quarters by the dozen...except i won't because i suck at arcade games.

Quote:lol, I would've laughed if I saw that, mainly because people who freak out at games amuse me to no end. You sound like you just need to take a deep breath and relax!
Thats what games are for! Relaxing and entertainment! I don't feel either of these when some silly white stick in my hand suddenly turns into my fitness coach from lower highschool. I don't like games where i am supposed to be doing all the work, i want to relax. Call of Duty 4 can be relaxing for me, because i'm playing with specific weapons to try and get headshots with them. Granted, when i die most of the time i get angry but then i get the next level of camouflage and i'm happy, i'm dancing around singing "I've got blue tiger, on my M16. Pwning noobs, shooting dudes, and owning the enemy team!". I enjoy the pursuit of achievements and unlockables because it's rewarding! There just isn't any real reward in high scores or points for me.

(03-07-2009 10:45 AM)MISTER BIG T Wrote:
Quote:And thats what i really don't like about the Wii, the controllers were not only wrong but terrible to use!

Yeah, because nothing is better than gamepad. Screw innovation, the only thing one should do is make stuff wireless man, that's the only "jump in technology" we need.

Also my 5 year old cousin is able to make a home run. Don't blame the game just because you can't play Baseball, haha.
What, instead of venting energy at an INANIMATE object, you'd prefer me to sketch a Turner seascape in my forearm with a knife? Wow, thats REALLY uplifting advice T. I know i suck at sports, but i really don't need anyone else to point out how their younger family members are better than me at a console's movement system thank you.

Furthermore, i do think that the handset or "gamepad" if you will is better then the wii stick. At least with the handset i know what i'm doing, unlike the wii stick where i'm a bumbling fool waving plastic at a television whilst others look at me in bewilderment. Wireless controllers is a practical solution to a specific problem, whereas the motion sensor just alienates people from the type of controller that they are used to.

Quote:frankly, you remind me a lot of the Francis the Chameleon from the game.
I'm assuming that was aimed at me, so i'm going to set this straight. 1. i don't have a 'fannypack'. 2. i don't like laptops (portable tech not quite good enough for me yet) and 3. I'm RED damnit! Red! i'm a RED Guilmon! not green, not blue, not salmonella yellow, RED!
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
(03-07-2009 11:20 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: What, instead of venting energy at an INANIMATE object, you'd prefer me to sketch a Turner seascape in my forearm with a knife? Wow, thats REALLY uplifting advice T.

I don't remember ever giving this advice.

Quote:At least with the handset i know what i'm doing, unlike the wii stick where i'm a bumbling fool waving plastic at a television whilst others look at me in bewilderment.

How are you even able to turn on tv if you don't know how to move your hand and tilt it and do you know, normal movements for any bipedallic creature? I bet even a raptor could play Wii Sports if they'd exist because it's so easy to grasb and just interact with the game by doing the thing yourself.

Wii: HOME RUN!

Raptor: Skkriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

Actually, now that I think of it, did you turn your Wii on? That may help in getting less bewildered stares while you play. :D
[Image: Seethsig.jpg]

[Image: promo.jpg]

Lord Patamon Wrote:King of sadism alright, that's a perfect title for you
Quote:I don't remember ever giving this advice.
I meant it in the sense that it's better to blame inanimate objects then yourself.

Quote:How are you even able to turn on TV if you don't know how to move your hand and tilt it and you know, normal movements for any bipedallic creature? I bet even a raptor could play Wii Sports if they'd exist because it's so easy to grasp and just interact with the game by doing the thing yourself.

Wii: HOME RUN!

Raptor: Skkriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

Actually, now that I think of it, did you turn your Wii on? That may help in getting less bewildered stares while you play. :D
It was a friends Wii and yes it was on. My point was that i don't want to rely on my own movements to control the game because that induces more risk of loss, which in turn can provoke a reaction. You can ridicule me ALL YOU LIKE T, i have no problem whatsoever with my points simply being turned into jokes rather then being taken seriously, but putting on a big grin hardly solves anything does it? I don't like motion control, because it doesn't work with my style of movement and i don't really WANT to move in real life. Standing still or even laying back, i can be more concentrated and i can be more accurate. I imagine you can't play a lazy game of WiiSports can you? no slouching back comfortably in your chair whilst you swing the controller about, no tasty snacking whilst being AFK for a few seconds...
You may find it to be a walk in a park to play the Wii, i find it more to be a form of torture.
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds