Join our server on Discord

Sold My Wii
(02-22-2009 06:27 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: Lets be honest, it's not a console to be taken seriously and Nintendo advertise this PLAINLY in their commercials for the Wii; you see families gathered around their televisions, giggling and laughing as they play Mario Kart and there's absolutely no sense of hostility between them, no emotional lust for winning the game. Without these, there's no gamer ego satisfaction from achieving the object of online matches.

So just because in commercials, there's no hard, hostile competition, that means Wii isn't a 'gamer' system? I never knew that gaming was all about being hostile and wanting badly to win.

Wii's sales pitch is more towards EVERYONE, rather than just gamers, which is why you see families, and ages ranging from young to very old, in the commercials.

(02-22-2009 06:27 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: Furthermore, the controllers are just laughable. We've been using buttons, triggers, bumpers, thumbsticks and joysticks for more then a decade now and both Microsoft and Sony have recognized this as the standard format of controllers (just as their is a standard layout of car controls). You can't expect people who've used hammers all their life to use a screwdriver properly. True, we've had some experience of movement technology (back in 1989 when the Powerglove came out, and that sucked too!)

So? Does that mean Nintendo can't be different? This change is obviously successful, seeing as Wii is outselling 360 and PS3, combined.

Power Glove was just a failure because it was too ahead of it's time, and it was a lot easier to just use a regular controller. It was more like: "Do you want to use a 2-button and D-Pad controller to play NES, or do you want to use a huge panel of buttons to play NES?" type of thing.

This was also the time when TONS of NES accessories were coming out, and over half of them sucked.

Seriously, what's with all the hate for Wii? Just because it doesn't have a million online FPS games doesn't mean it's a bad system. And all of this is of course, OPINIONATED, so gaming in one person's view could be completely different from gaming in another person's view.

It's all about what you like. I enjoy 'kiddie' games like Mario, Sonic, Rayman, Wario Ware, because they can be fun without needing violence or online play. But GMSG likes the 360 because it's got games he likes, so of course he's going to say it's the better system.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
(02-21-2009 03:07 PM)Chaosmetroid Wrote: I do like the ability to download the old titles. After all the old games are some of the best. Like the original mario, metroid, and zelda. But spending $250 on a system then buying point cards in order to play these games is just not worth it.

The 360 has an amazing line-up of games, and while online is not free, it is better quality.

The PS3 has much better graphics and overall horsepower, but almost none of its games take advantage of that. It has great titles like God of War 3 coming to it. (praying for 360 release) and kingdom hearts (also hopeing for 360 release). But two games do not make a system.

I will probably go with the 360. But I am not fully decided. will have to see what microsoft has to offer. But I will not be getting my Wii back.

Farewell Metroid franchise, you where one of my all time favorites. But its time that I realise that you and the zelda series are just not worth buying a $250 system for a few games.

The one you see in the secet ending on KH2 is going to be released for the PSP.
(02-22-2009 04:30 PM)Angewomons_Lover Wrote: So just because in commercials, there's no hard, hostile competition, that means Wii isn't a 'gamer' system? I never knew that gaming was all about being hostile and wanting badly to win.

oh really? if thats the case, shouldn't Spawn Camping, Grenade spamming, Screamers and n00bs cease to exist? all are the creations of gamers who want to win. The Wii is marketed at children, families and pretty much everyone. Frankly i'd be embarrassed to own a console which was marketed at people who barely know anything other to eat their boogers.

Quote:So? Does that mean Nintendo can't be different? This change is obviously successful, seeing as Wii is outselling 360 and PS3, combined.

Power Glove was just a failure because it was too ahead of it's time, and it was a lot easier to just use a regular controller. It was more like: "Do you want to use a 2-button and D-Pad controller to play NES, or do you want to use a huge panel of buttons to play NES?" type of thing.
This was also the time when TONS of NES accessories were coming out, and over half of them sucked.

If you train a guy to operate a crane, you can't expect him to be great at piloting a Jumbo Jet. Nintendo has the RIGHT to be different, but that doesn't make it a good thing. Furthermore if the add-ons for the NES died, why did they reproduce a movement-sensor controller based on one of the worst ones?
The only reason the Wii is outselling the 360 is because it's cheap, small, usable by children and is marketed at everyone. It's like comparing how much Cheese is sold in America to how much Blue Danish Cheese is sold in America; OF COURSE the first is going to be larger, because it's marketed at everyone, not people who like a specific type!

Quote: Seriously, what's with all the hate for Wii? Just because it doesn't have a million online FPS games doesn't mean it's a bad system. And all of this is of course, OPINIONATED, so gaming in one person's view could be completely different from gaming in another person's view.

It's all about what you like. I enjoy 'kiddie' games like Mario, Sonic, Rayman, Wario Ware, because they can be fun without needing violence or online play. But GMSG likes the 360 because it's got games he likes, so of course he's going to say it's the better system.
okay, firstly you're right; it's not a bad system at all. It's small, not in the least bit confusing to your average person and unique. However, it is a bad GAMER system, due to the lack of good games and it's overdosage of crap ones. I agree, Sonic and Mario and even Metroid are good games, but they're violent too and even if they're childish i still love them to this day. I'm just saying that it's a shame that you can only play these great games on the Wii, KNOWING there's a family out there playing it themselves because that ruins the ideology of "I'm so good at this game, no normal person can best me at it" that most gamers have.
I only favour the 360, not because i had the older Xbox and wanted to play Halo 3, but because it was done properly. It wasn't marketed at families or drooling toddlers, it wasn't designed to be small or economical. It was designed for gaming, whilst giving it a lower base price then the PS3 and making the rest from Add-ons such as Wireless net, Live and Controllers. Yes it's not as advanced as the Wii or PS3 but thats what makes it good, it doesn't alienate you from the control system. I have a friend who was bought ALL the consoles and he prefers the 360 out of all of them. He still likes the PS3 and Wii, but he's nearly always playing on the Xbox.

I don't just base my love of the Xbox on personal experience AWL but facts can come into it too. And the fact is that the Wii is a childishly fun console, whereas the 360 is the real bargain for gaming. PS3? i'm suprised anyone ever bought one.

Oh and Unknown, Fun is a matter of opinion. People find team killing fun, or making fun of their enemies by 'humping' their corpses. Even grabbing the biggest gun on Call of Duty 4 (i.e the M60E4) and sticking red dot sight on it is fun to some people, but to others it just demonstrates a lack of skill. I have fun when i'm unlocking achievements because i get the ego satisfaction of putting the effort in and getting something rewarding out. Fun can be nice or twisted depending on your viewpoint. Skill can only be useful.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote:oh really? if thats the case, shouldn't Spawn Camping, Grenade spamming, Screamers and n00bs cease to exist? all are the creations of gamers who want to win. The Wii is marketed at children, families and pretty much everyone. Frankly i'd be embarrassed to own a console which was marketed at people who barely know anything other to eat their boogers.

The Wii's marketed to more than just the smaller kids. Also, the 360's been trying to market to a wider audience lately too. That New XBox Live Experience is really shit what with the forced avatars and new looks for the menus.

Quote:If you train a guy to operate a crane, you can't expect him to be great at piloting a Jumbo Jet. Nintendo has the RIGHT to be different, but that doesn't make it a good thing. Furthermore if the add-ons for the NES died, why did they reproduce a movement-sensor controller based on one of the worst ones?

Nintendo started figuring they needed a new plan when the Gamecube underperformed and they didn't want to take the route Sega did after the Dreamcast. Their idea to use different control schemes is not unfounded. Before the Wii, they released the original DS with its touch screen which sold quite well.

Quote:okay, firstly you're right; it's not a bad system at all. It's small, not in the least bit confusing to your average person and unique. However, it is a bad GAMER system, due to the lack of good games and it's overdosage of crap ones. I agree, Sonic and Mario and even Metroid are good games, but they're violent too and even if they're childish i still love them to this day. I'm just saying that it's a shame that you can only play these great games on the Wii, KNOWING there's a family out there playing it themselves because that ruins the ideology of "I'm so good at this game, no normal person can best me at it" that most gamers have.

Actually, I find that most modern games on the newer systems have become less challenging. Sure, some games have an Insane difficulty mode or are just inherently difficult like Devil May Cry, but then you have games like Super Mario Galaxy and Halo 3 on Legendary which are a breeze. Hell, GTA IV was easier then it's predecessors.

Anyways, you clearly like your 360, Guilmon, and that's fine. I have one and a Wii, and I prefer my 360. That doesn't mean the Wii doesn't have it's fair share of games that are fun as well. And some companies are taking the Wii seriously are releasing all kinds of games for it. Sega's publishing the Conduit and is going to release MadWorld as well. Plus, No More Heroes 2 is in the works.

Besides, what's the real definition of "hardcore gamer" anyways...someone who owned one of those old Pong consoles from the 70's?
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
Games are meant to be enjoyed, not taken seriously. Those who do take it seriously have no right to call themselves a "gamer", because they are setting a bad image for the rest of us who play for fun rather then gloating about how much Gamer Score you have on your account. Games are entertainment, it's not supposed to be taken seriously. Albeit you may get satisfaction out of fragging/defeating enemies online, nonetheless you can have that. But when people start taking it too seriously, then it becomes a problem.

Quote:ruins the ideology of "I'm so good at this game, no normal person can best me at it" that most gamers have.

There's always someone better then you. Even those who don't play or are new, can still be able to pick up the way of playing the game you excel in and beat you. Whether it's the Wii, Xbox360 or the PS3, any console in fact. This ideology of "Someone always better" CAN be proven.

Though, I would say, the only other best option is 360. Since PS3 is like the lone console without much love right now.

Hmm... "hardcore gamer"... looks like this term is coming up once again...
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
There's this newfangled game out y'all wanna try. It's called Real Life. You get a job, get a car, and try and get a female to notice you....

*Renny smacks Brandon upside the head with a 2x4*

Renny: No! Bad Human! Bad!

Brandon: ...owwww....

But, seriously. I hate Xbox. It has, like, 27 different buttons, the controller is roughly the size of a pot roast, and I hear they overheat at the drop of a hat.

...whereas, my PS2 can chug along, despite being filled with cockroach carcasses, there are only enough buttons for what is needed, and the controller is nice and small. That's why the PS2 is still surviving. It goes under the ruling of "if it aint broke, don't fix it".
The last mutt standing.

The one and only, Cowboy from Hell.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I reach the other side, 
I can show him what it feels like to die.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I'm cast out of the skies,
I can shoot the Devil right between the eyes.
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
F.Y.I Arguing with GMSg is like banging your head off a brick wall, no-one wins, the walls just too stuborn.
(02-22-2009 11:08 PM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: [quote='Angewomons_Lover' pid='312973' dateline='1235284216']
KNOWING there's a family out there playing it themselves because that ruins the ideology of "I'm so good at this game, no normal person can best me at it" that most gamers have.

Frankly I feel hearing some of the people on xbox live ruins the feeling of having an xbox.

(02-23-2009 05:09 AM)Cowboy From Hell Wrote: There's this newfangled game out y'all wanna try. It's called Real Life. You get a job, get a car, and try and get a female to notice you....

*Renny smacks Brandon upside the head with a 2x4*

Renny: No! Bad Human! Bad!

Brandon: ...owwww....

But, seriously. I hate Xbox. It has, like, 27 different buttons, the controller is roughly the size of a pot roast, and I hear they overheat at the drop of a hat.

...whereas, my PS2 can chug along, despite being filled with cockroach carcasses, there are only enough buttons for what is needed, and the controller is nice and small. That's why the PS2 is still surviving. It goes under the ruling of "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

Not at the drop of a hat, but yes it has some heating problems, though microsoft replace all Xboxs with red rings free of charge. Also the xbox controller has one extra button, the xbox dashboard button, same amount as the ps3 controller. Besides I prefer the large controller, the little ps2's don't fit in my hands too well now.
Renamon's Army
The OCA
Gabumon Loverz
Sooo lets see here

Wii= syestem geard twords younger audience and unless you like mostly gimmicky games dont buy it.

Xbox= has overheating problems and a somewhat annoying online experience but very good games.

PS3= a game console with potential but nothing else.

I realy have no idea which to go for. xbox, ps3?
Go for the Wii. But of course, the important thing is to go for the game with what you like. If you like playing against foul mouth 13 year olds and drunken frat boys who will be dead weights in a team and teabag you in some strange homosexual scene then get the one that plays Halo. But leave the volume down on the Live headset. It's not worth it.

If you like Sony's stuff then get the PS3. It also plays Blu-Ray. Which means one out of three for Sony and formats.

The Wii is for Everyone. From the little kids who may not be able to play well, to their parents who spent years and quarters playing to the grandparents who payed for the parents to do that. And remember, longest business life is Nintendo. From 1889 to now. That long in games. From cards, to basic games, to video games.

(02-22-2009 11:08 PM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: oh really? if thats the case, shouldn't Spawn Camping, Grenade spamming, Screamers and n00bs cease to exist? all are the creations of gamers who want to win. The Wii is marketed at children, families and pretty much everyone. Frankly i'd be embarrassed to own a console which was marketed at people who barely know anything other to eat their boogers.
Now that just hurts. And is uncalled for. Know your Roots! Remember what you were when you got your first system? That's right. The same thing.

Guilmon and a shotgun]
I only favour the 360, not because i had the older Xbox and wanted to play Halo 3, but because it was done properly. It wasnt marketed at families or drooling toddlers, it wasn't designed to be small or economical. It was designed for gaming, whilst giving it a lower base price then the PS3 and making the rest from Add-ons such as Wireless net, Live and Controllers. Yes it's not as advanced as the Wii or PS3 but thats what makes it good, it doesn't alienate you from the control system. I have a friend who was bought ALL the consoles and he prefers the 360 out of all of them. He still likes the PS3 and Wii, but he's nearly always playing on the Xbox.

Oh and Unknown, Fun is a matter of opinion. People find team killing fun, or making fun of their enemies by 'humping' their corpses. Even grabbing the biggest gun on Call of Duty 4 (i.e the M60E4) and sticking red dot sight on it is fun to some people, but to others it just demonstrates a lack of skill. I have fun when i'm unlocking achievements because i get the ego satisfaction of putting the effort in and getting something rewarding out. Fun can be nice or twisted depending on your viewpoint. Skill can only be useful.
[/quote Wrote:
Again, not very called for. Wii is not for babies as it is for everyone. And why would you find that fun? The humping. Isn't that liked by the same people who may have used to flush your head is school? Or the kind of guy who's at Taco Bell at 3 am. A low watt in the brain area but big on muscle mass.

[quote='Crimson Fox' pid='313092' dateline='1235321103']
Besides, what's the real definition of "hardcore gamer" anyways...someone who owned one of those old Pong consoles from the 70's?
South Korea. They play till they die. Really. Warcraft is almost their national sport. Look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_gamer
Yeah, yeah. Wikipedia. STFU if you don't like it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...core+gamer
This is much less kind. And I'd injure the one who did that last definition on page 2. But this is what UD is full of.
:0

I've no next gen console, but I got a DS Lite. I like Nintendo, always have. When I was a kid I played the Family Game without knowing the NES was out. My aunt bought my cousin a Super Nintendo, and so I began playing games like Donkey Kong Country 3 and Super Mario World, not to mention Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Magic Sword. We continued enjoying SNES and my aunt even bought one for myself, but I stopped getting games because we had to buy imported versions, which meant paying 100-150 pesos a cartidge. (Of course, we got the original box with the manuals and everything included).

A bit later I switched out to Sony, with the Playstation. I kept it for over 8 years, before I eventually upgraded to PS2 a year ago. PS2 has been great, I've no plans for switching out to any next-gen. If a PS3 suddenly came to me of course I would welcome it, but for now I have to say I hate it. I hate the fact it has games like Resident Evil 5, which I'll most likely never be able to play here in Argentina.

I like playing solo most of the time. RPGs in special, but that doesn't meant I don't enjoy competitiveness, like playing fighting games such as the always lovable Mortal Kombat games or others. Also, to respond to this:

Quote:I have fun when i'm unlocking achievements because i get the ego satisfaction of putting the effort in and getting something rewarding out.

That's how I feel when playing solo. Just check my sig out! It has "I'm bragging my ever-growing list of Ryuusei no Rockman 3 achievements!" written all over it.

Online play is only for a few, make no mistake. There are people who, like Kyo said, are not gamers for fun, but for their obsessive need of ego stroking. Take for example when I play over Wi-Fi Connection in MegaMan Star Force 2. I fight someone and as soon as I start winning they disconnect on me. However, if I feint losing and let my HP drop to 1 and then fight like a cookroach, then they don't D/C, and I still win. The fun thing about Wave Battling is that you never know the outcome, so it's all about skill and luck. I enjoy all kinds of battles, even those in which I keep losing turns 'cause my opponents keep paralysing me or going invisible (It is sometimes stressing) but I end up laughing about it rather than get pissed like some of the forum people at GameFAQs.

^ Sorry about the mini-rant lolol, but yeah, online play is not for just anyone. Also, back on topic, while I cannot speak for all the systems since I own none, I can say that Nintendo has awesome games, which sometimes can seem childish, but Nintendo isn't the only one dishing out childish games. PS2 for example has awesome games like the Legend of Spyro series whose plots and puzzles seem to be as simple as reading a fairy tale off an ilustrated book. Devil May Cry series, even if they have all the dirty references, are insanely easy to figure out and are just as kiddy as every other game I've played. RPGs like Wild Arms 5 could fall into the childish category even. You run around the map and when in a dungeon all you gotta do is maybe push some blocks or press R1 to draw weapons and then hold Square to shoot at just anything because the game auto-aims for you. All games are meant to be simple nowadays, but that doesn't mean they suck or don't give off their challenges eventually!

Also, MegaMan for the win. Needed to say it.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad