Join our server on Discord

Poll: Should he pass or fail?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Let him pass.
11.11%
1 11.11%
Fail his lazy ass.
88.89%
8 88.89%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

To fail or not to fail: a teacher's perspective
Hey,

To those of you who don't know, I'm a recently appointed university professor of music. Studies in a music faculty are a little different than most other faculties: each student spends an hour with a private voice teacher each week on their applied instrument. In my case, I teach voice and I have eight students aged 18-21.

One of my students has been a serious problem since day one. It was clear to me right from the start, even before he said it, that he has a learning disability. Which is fine, I have no problem with people with learning challenges. What I DO have a problem with, is people who are downright fucking lazy and do nothing but make flimsy excuses for why they don't have their work done.

At the beginning of the semester, I made it clear what I expected from my students: 1. a new piece of music every week, rehearsed with their collaborative pianist and ready to go at their weekly lesson. 2. a word-for-word translation of any non-English works at the beginning of the lesson.

Two things. That's it. No papers. No abstracts. No bibliographies. No dioramas. Just to know their music and have a translation handy.

Did the other seven of my students have trouble fulfilling these requirements? Not at all. Hence me not being able to understand why he never had it together. Given that anyone can learn music through simple repitition, and anyone with library or internet access can look up words to translate anything, I've been flummoxed time and again as to why he continually shows up to his lessons unprepared.

Given that his tasks regard no actual learning, a "learning disability" doesn't really excuse him from not having work done. Not like that stops him from trying to make up excuses on the spot and further waste my time.

I sent out a strongly worded e-mail to my students two weeks ago, reminding them of the criteria I had set out at the beginning of the year. And what happens today? He comes WITHOUT A TRANSLATION. AGAIN!!! I couldn't even believe it. And did he try to make up excuses? You fucking bet your sweet bippy he did!

So now here I am, time to evaluate him, with nothing but frustration and poor work ethic behind me. It's clear that a university environment is not a good fit for him at all. He just doesn't have what it takes to perform well. So, should I artificially lower his grade so that he fails out, eventually saving him a lot of money? Or should I give him the very low, but still passing grade he deserves but will ultimately do nothing for him?
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

If he's not willing to try and make a single effort, and blurt out excuses rather then get his head down like the seven others, then I believe his mark shouldn't even be anywhere near a 'pass' mark. The 'learning disability' is an excuse a lot of people use; it doesn't cover his sorry ass from not bringing in a translation.

If he's unprepared, not doing the work set out for him and generically being lazy, the pass mark would be like a dream for him. My thought is mark him on any work he's already currently done (if any, that is), and if his mark barely scrapes over a pass, only then would it be alright to lower his grade so that he fails. Might be harsh, but if he doesn't want to put the work into it and break a sweat for once like the other seven, he doesn't belong there.
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
To put it blunty, Senjy, FAIL HIS ASS.

And pray he comes to you asking why.
The last mutt standing.

The one and only, Cowboy from Hell.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I reach the other side, 
I can show him what it feels like to die.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I'm cast out of the skies,
I can shoot the Devil right between the eyes.
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
Make him sightread, if he can sight read, let him pass. If not, give him a "QQQ Deluxe"
[Image: crimson_brilliance010-albums-my-deshackl...mation.gif]

[Image: crimson_brilliance010-albums-my-deshackl...tion-2.gif]
The OCA
FAIL HIM!!!!!!

If he is so lazy not to bring a translation then he does not even deserve to be in colage.

How easy is it to brong a translation? Just go to google and search the word translator and the first link is a good one. Dont have a computer? Let him borrow yours under a watchful eye. Or send them to a damn library.
[Image: seifer.jpg]

FCF2adw A+ C- D- H M- P- R+ T++++ W->+ Z Sm++ RL- a- c++++w d--->++ e-->+ f-- h*>+++ i++>+++ j+>+++ p+ sms>+
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
Gabumon Loverz
Creative Minds
I hope I'm not too late on this poll. Give him the grade he deserves, even if it isn't failing, because if it's found that you graded with bias, especially negative bias on a student with a learning disability, Senjuro, you could get in a lot of trouble. Besides, if you fail him, you might have to (try to) teach him again.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
(Spam) See that there? This is why we are allowed to exist in this man's presence? *archangeling complete*
[Image: crimson_brilliance010-albums-my-deshackl...mation.gif]

[Image: crimson_brilliance010-albums-my-deshackl...tion-2.gif]
The OCA
I would consider and write a letter to the college guidance counslor or someone with the ability to ask if he has something first prior to even giving a grade. I wouldn't pass nor fail him unless I had all that information.
~Gabu

Live life and let live.

2 years on the DaD
Gabumon Loverz Group Trooper
DMAW moderarator
Art Section Mod
Muse of many talents
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds
Well he should be more responsible, a person even with a learning disability it would be alittle more smarter if he has ask you some problems that he needed to work on. But, since he hasn't even mention it and didn't work on the project like he's supposed to so it's definite fail for him.

I learn my lesson for being lazy and not to do my work but, after I learned my lesson I learned I have to get it done fast and do it when I planned to do earlier(more organized).

Another thing is you could ask his teachers or parents to see if he really has a learning disability or to check if he does well in his classes it's a great way to learn what your students capable of.
I'm more active in FA and DA now. Click here to look at my gallery!
The Sabre Clan
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
Creative Minds
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)