Join our server on Discord

Poll: What polutes, is it....
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The car itself
0%
0 0%
The engine
0%
0 0%
The fuel
50.00%
5 50.00%
The driver
40.00%
4 40.00%
Don't know
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Vehicles need love for fuel?
senjuro Wrote:"In the United States, Section 179 depreciation deduction, sometimes known as the 'SUV subsidy' allows small-business owners to deduct up to $25,000 of the cost of a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of over 6000 lb (2722 kg) from their income tax calculation. Small-business owners may deduct $10,610 of the cost of a passenger automobile. This provides a slight tax incentive for businesses to purchase an SUV. However, the cost of both SUVs and automobiles is fully deductible over future years using normal depreciation."

So the government encourages people to buy vehicles with poor fuel efficiency so they'll sell more oil. Hmmm....

Also, about fuel economy:

"The recent popularity of SUVs is generally thought of as one reason the U.S. population has begun consume more gasoline than in previous years. SUVs are as a class much less fuel efficient than comparable passenger vehicles. The main reason is that SUVs are classified by the U.S. government as light trucks, and thus are subject to the less strict light truck standard under the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regulations. The CAFE requirement for light trucks is an average of 20.7 mpg (US), versus 27.5 mpg (US) for passenger cars (11.4L/100km and 8.6L/100km, respectively).

By design SUVs have numerous fuel-inefficient features. Their high profile increases wind resistance and their mass requires heavier suspensions and larger engines, which both contribute to increased vehicle weight."

Having read that, if you still go out and buy an SUV, then it's not the fuel or the car that's polluting; it's you.

It isn't so much that the government is encouraging people to buy an SUV... In many small businesses, such as in construction/paint/etc, you can't really drive a compact. You may need to transport your workers, and supplies at the same time. (Try to get five large men and four 5 gallon buckets of paint into a compact.) That policy is in place only so that people who may be forced to drive a less fuel efficient car can get more money back on their taxes. There is no hidden agenda there.

However, if small business owners buy an SUV to get the tax credit... That's all on them. They are taking advantage of the system. That's my point on that one thing... here's my reply to the statement in general:

For every day people.. buying an SUV is pointless. I agree. It's wasteful, and pointless for most people. If you have two kids, you don't need a 6-8 seater. Anyone buying one without the need is doing it as a status symbol only. But, there are many people who genuinely need an SUV/large truck. If you have never lived in a rural area, then you may not see what I mean. If you have, then you may notice that many people don't live in sub-divisions, but rather, they live off of dirt roads. (Of course there are paved roads leading almost up to their homes, but many people about 15 miles from where I live all have 1/2mile long driveways, unpaved.)

All i'm saying is that some people need an SUV. So I don't blame them. If you drive one just becaue you can.. Then yes, i'd agree with you and say that they are the one polluting. It's a matter of perspective.
Renamon's Army
yes you both make a good point but there is another factor. what about the people who buy cars that look good and not care about anything else. you can buy an SUV but it doesnt need to be a gas guzzler, my family has one and it doesn't use a whole lot of gas but when it broke down this one time and we rented one the rented one used about 70% more gas (talk about inefficient) so i would say if you have a gas guzzler its not because of circumstances its because:
you're total dolt and didnt both researching your vehichle, you're rich and don't give half a fuck about the enviroment as long as you get the best looking vehichle in the lot, your dealer screwed you, you didn't care what you got

if you have a "gas guzzler" for any reason other than the ones above i doubt its really a gas guzzler and while it may use more gas than other vehichles in general it doesn't use exessive gas for its class and that is what people need to look at
you can do this one in every 30 times and still have 97% positive feedback
[Image: youcandothisoneinevery30timesandsti.png]
Renamon's Army
The Sabre Clan
I make another poll option.
It's Bush!
Doctor Zephyr Wrote:I make another poll option.
It's Bush!

Lol.
Renamon's Army
But this isn't the debate room so we only get to make jokes about him here.
Nothing insulting really.
I didn't find that insulting at all, just funny!
Renamon's Army
i say its the driver and if you use hydrogen and crash youll explode duh

(thats right aint it)
Renamon's Army
The OCA
Gabumon Loverz
No, they'd fix it so it wouldn't. It wouldn't explode as much as normal gas.
Any idea how they would fix it? Because i'm pretty sure that we would all be driving bombs...
Renamon's Army
They would try, try, try to make it not explode. They would not be able to sell it if it could under normal conditions.