Join our server on Discord

Lights Out!
Quote:The only things that are going to be on most of the time are refrigerators, deep freezes, heat (in cold months), and hot water boilers. If someone's that much of a jerk to waste that much power, then yes, the spike in power consumption would be much worse. I doubt that's the case for very many people.
At 6:55 P.M., a lot of people are preparing dinner. While preparing dinner, in theory, their refrigerators, televisions, microwaves, lights, air conditioners, computers and anything else you could think of could be running. Suppose everybody shuts all of these devices off just because everybody else is doing it, and then they all turn everything back on again simultaneously five minutes later. That would be bad.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
senjuro's original post Wrote:It doesn't take a whole lot to be part of it; just turn off your -->lights<--. At 6:55pm your local time, please, turn off your -->lights<--. Turn them back on at 7pm. That's all you have to do.

It doesn't say "kill the main breaker to your house at 6:55 and turn it back on at 7." Light use up so little energy that on their own, they make little difference. But if thousands of people did it, it would make a measurable, though still small, difference.
Quote:It doesn't say "kill the main breaker to your house at 6:55 and turn it back on at 7." Light use up so little energy that on their own, they make little difference. But if thousands of people did it, it would make a measurable, though still small, difference.
Sure, the campaign might be for just turning off your lights for five minutes, but people have a tendency to take these things too far without considering the consequences. For example, just look at how I interpreted it.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Nah, I think that's just because you've become infected with a mild strain of sensationalism. I'm sure your sarcasm and sense of reality will be more than enough to combat temporary hyperbolic tendencies.
My lights are off until my room mates return home.
:p It was 2 days ago, but thanks. ^_^
Kind of cool but I see the validity in Wisemon's point. I did that sort of Senjy >>;; i was just on my lappy with no lights on :P..
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds