Join our server on Discord

Lights Out!
Hey everyone, I have a favor to ask of anyone who wants to participate.

Today, Thursday, February 1st, is the day of Lights Out!

Lights Out! is an international environmental action initiative to reduce power consumption for five minutes all across the world. It doesn't take a whole lot to be part of it; just turn off your lights. At 6:55pm your local time, please, turn off your lights. Turn them back on at 7pm. That's all you have to do.

Obviously you don't have to, but I'd really appreciate if you could at least try.

Thank you.
Ha I saw this on facebook today. Some guy on there was talking about how it could actually cost more energy and potential blackouts. He said he read about it some article, yet I have yet to find it and can't really say if it was reliable. Could anyone tell me if what this guy said was correct or just lies. Thanks
Of course if he was right then maybe this is more of a political statement.

As for the Lights Out thing I already missed it, but I think since I don't use the heat in my car often that makes up for it.

Btw isn't that committee in Paris supposed to release it's findings tommorrow.
A mere five minutes of cutting power versus the energy spike that will be created when everybody turns their power on at the same time: there's no comparison. The spike is much worse. Please stop compelling people to join this festivity.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
I am doing it right now... I turned off my lights at 6:55 and then they are still off... Thanks Senj!
Veemon's Followers
Now look who's the brown-noser Roran.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
The OCA
Im doin it for the environment lady.... lol
Veemon's Followers
Quote:I am doing it right now... I turned off my lights at 6:55 and then they are still off... Thanks Senj!
:x Damn it, what part of "the spike is much worse" don't you understand?
I know that you saw me.
Wisemon Wrote:A mere five minutes of cutting power versus the energy spike that will be created when everybody turns their power on at the same time: there's no comparison. The spike is much worse. Please stop compelling people to join this festivity.

The energy usage of turning on a bulb is about the same as the bulb running for less than a second. That's a normal household lamp bulb of 100watts. The largest energy use is a tube light that are used normally in offices which equal about 20seconds of running time. In other words even if the surge were at worst case it would only equal to 20 seconds of running as opposed to the 5 minutes that they're off for.
"Stand tall and shake the heavens!" - Xenogears.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Quote:The energy usage of turning on a bulb is about the same as the bulb running for less than a second. That's a normal household lamp bulb of 100watts. The largest energy use is a tube light that are used normally in offices which equal about 20seconds of running time. In other words even if the surge were at worst case it would only equal to 20 seconds of running as opposed to the 5 minutes that they're off for.
It's not the individual surge that would cause a problem; it's the surge of energy taken from all sources if all lights and appliances across the country were suddenly turned on. That would be a problem.
I know that you saw me.
There's still more energy saved from the 5 minutes the lights are off than is used from everyone turning on their lights back on at the same time.

There aren't any blackouts when street lights all turn on at dusk, are there? They definitely suck up more juice than a 100 or 60 watt light bulb. You're just being obtuse.

Besides, who has all their appliances on all the time? Dishwashers, ovens, microwaves, washers, dryers, vacuums, etc. aren't going to be running unless you're using them. The only things that are going to be on most of the time are refrigerators, deep freezes, heat (in cold months), and hot water boilers. If someone's that much of a jerk to waste that much power, then yes, the spike in power consumption would be much worse. I doubt that's the case for very many people.