Join our server on Discord

PC crybabies
I read this part:

"I think it's very unfortunate. Why lose the Christmas spirit? Christmas is for kids," said passenger Lisa Jones.

And angry airport employees have started a campaign urging people to call the Port of Seattle to complain.

"It's a Christmas tree! It's not like they were displaying crucifixes or menorahs or anything religious, but Christmas trees that have been around here for years," said an employee who asked not to be identified.

"If this is the evergreen state, how offensive can evergreen trees be by simply putting lights on it?" said another employee named Jim.

And the airport wouldn't have taken them down if the Rabbi hadn't complained.
So you only read the opinionated quotes of a few people, whom are biased from the start because no where in the article (or argument) was the word 'offensive'. And the fact that the argument was placing a menorah IN the decorations. And apparently answering from the bias journalist who wrote the article.

The only reason the Rabbi complained was because the airport detracted their agreement with the Rabbi to dsiplay a menorah among the Christmas Trees.

And it wasn't because of the Rabbi either. He had stated that he wanted the Christmas trees up, just that he wanted to add a menorah to the decor. The fault lies with the airport entirely for making their own decision.
I don't see what the problem was. Put one up. We have trees and lights. Seems very festive.
senjuro Wrote:Honestly, if people have such a big deal with the sacred (though chronologically misplaced) aspects of Christmas, they shouldn't bother themselves by celebrating it or partaking in any of it. Seems kind of hypocritical to revel in a holiday's rampant capitalism and abundant good will etc. only to bitch about the actual root of the holiday.

[quote=Santa is in no way connected with religion.

You might want to double-check that. He is. Here's a hint: He's a SAINT.

What does it matter what his connection is when his most central trait is his charity and generosity? Certainly that particular trait is not Christian-specific.

Quote:Strange that many wouldn't see the other side of the coin. Did it ever occur to any that maybe Christians are supressing others?

Heh, careful saying things like that. Not every Christian on the planet is utterly convinced that their religion is the right one and that everyone should be converted to have their souls saved.

I'm all about people publicly celebrating their religions if they want to. The issue here is this: yeah, okay, take Christmas carols off the radio and take down signs with words related to the sacred aspect of Christmas and you won't get any social outrage at all; rather, you get low rumblings of disapproval from the old types who have a problem with it.

However, if you see people trying to block other faiths from celebrating their holidays, there's an explosion of social outrage from all sides with all kinds of groups, including Christians, supporting their rights to freely express themselves.

What this comes down to is basically that it's okay to walk all over Christianity because it happens to be the majority of the population in North American. But as soon as your foot slips and you step on Islam or Judaism, you've committed a sin against the universe and everyone just gangbangs on you.

Mmmmm, holiday hypocrisy.[/quote]

I want to see a reply to this. Senjuro make such complete sense in the above post.

I might be the only non-christian who celebrates Christmas. I may not believe in an all powerful god, but there are a lot of good things to christianity.

Anyone can say and do what they want christianity because it is the majority. Senj is right. Start demanding that the minora be taken down, and you are labeled as a Nazi. Demand that the cross be taken down, you are labled as someone who "just wants to preserve the rights of the little people"...

A load of bull! It's an agenda to suppress christians.

By the way, Merry Christmas everyone! I might not get a chance to say it on Christmas day, because I may not be able to bring my laptop to NY.

On a side note, explain how not wanting Christ to be taken out of Christmas is trouncing on the rights of others.
Renamon's Army
I do not want to offend anyone here or their religion but this is the exact reason I don't have one myself. Believing in nothing is much lonelier... but it is also much quieter; without all the arguments that arise.

Seriously... I have only briefly glanced at history myself but it is riddled with wars, feuds and other assorted nonsense directly because of religion.

*sighs* Okay... I'm done talking. Feel free to flame me if you want to; I must always expect that on topics like this.
Listen Grim, I'm not offended at all by your beliefs. You have a right to your opinion and I respect that.

My beef with the PC crowd has nothing to do with other religions. I don't have a problem with Buddhism, Hinduism, or any of other religion (Islam is kind of touch and go for now because of what I've heard about it and read about it; I'm not sure what to believe right now, so I'm not saying anything), and as I have stated before and fully believe, everyone has a right to their religion. It is not my place to judge people based on their religions.

What I do have a problem with is my religion being suppressed simply because someone's feelings might get hurt. That is a ridiculous reason to ban Christianity (where in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution is there a right not to be offended?) and it is hypocritcal, for when the child who believes in God is prohibited from expressing his belief so as not to offend atheists, the child who believes in God is offended. If the suppression of Christianity is meant to prevent offending people, why are the Christians' feelings about it ignored? Do they not matter too? Is it not wrong when they are offended?

Quote:Seriously... I have only briefly glanced at history myself but it is riddled with wars, feuds and other assorted nonsense directly because of religion.

No one ever said religion would prevent wars. Me being a Christian hasn't made my life peachy either, and I've had my share of arguments and fights over my religion. But I shudder to think of a world where there aren't at least some people who fear an eternal punishment, which is what keeps people like me in line. I fear God and I fear His judgement, therefore I obey His Commandments to the best of my abilities.

And as corny as it may sound, I fully believe that I have experienced God's work. My best friend's sister was suicidal a few years back (she would cut herself, steal her mother's cigarettes, and had an extremely low opinion of herself). Well, she was sent away for treatment and I prayed to God that she would be healed and shown the error of her thinking. Well, just last week she came home, and she was better than ever. She is now very close friends with a pastor she has been seeing, and she had even turned in a boy who had given her his meds so he wouldn't have to take them (her mother thought she would take them herself and was very surprised when she didn't). The way I see it, God has heard my prayers and healed her.
Renamon_S3 Wrote:I want to see a reply to this. Senjuro make such complete sense in the above post.

Aww, thanks! ^_^

cboy Wrote:Islam is kind of touch and go for now because of what I've heard about it and read about it; I'm not sure what to believe right now, so I'm not saying anything

Here's a tip: don't judge a religion on how its fundamentalists behave, especially when a propoganda news source says it! :p

The Grim PokePimp Wrote:Seriously... I have only briefly glanced at history myself but it is riddled with wars, feuds and other assorted nonsense directly because of religion.

It's also riddled with wars to overthrow leaders, to capture territory, and to enact change. Religion isn't the cause of all war. In fact, the only one I can think of off the top of my head that was directly caused by religion is the Crusades. There are far more wars caused because of race than of religion.
I think the main point is that a lot of people are stupid and violent. Mostly stupid but violent too.
Quote:I think the main point is that a lot of people are stupid and violent. Mostly stupid but violent too.
And this time of year, you'll find them all at the mall.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
this is more than strange how some stuff goes crazy over a question...I've seen enough point of veiws to take all sides, but in this case i'll just stay on my own side. I really don't care about the basis of christmas, to me it doesn't matter. I may be a christian, but I don't go through all the trouble reading the bible because most of the stuff in it is all mixed up and twisted. we don't really know if there is truly a Jesus christ or if there is even a true god.

So why don't you guys cool off and just live your lives? It's bad enough that some people have to deal with this in life then come to a message board to get even more...No offense to the people. This is after all an almost free country...almost, I don't know much about the amendments or what ever the hell it is, but america is supposed to be afree country for those that seek some kind of freedom...

I know I don't make much sense but why all the bother with this junk? I don't mean to start old flames again, but why? is it because of religion? or is it how people seem to want things their way? No one, and I mean no one will know the true answer to that question. so can't we all just get along until after the holidays, festivals, whatnot?