Join our server on Discord

School violence, abortions, protests.. is this the world?
Quote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

Yeah its pretty messed up how people are... worse then animals i guess.
I must be pretty cold hearted because that video didn't speak to me or inspire me.
aguy Wrote:
Quote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

Yeah its pretty messed up how people are... worse then animals i guess.
I must be pretty cold hearted because that video didn't speak to me or inspire me.

Alot of people could learn from that man.
"Stand tall and shake the heavens!" - Xenogears.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

This was a pretty good video. Its a good example of how people follow by example. Like the guy started out just by himself then one person hugged him then the next. It only takes a tiny spark to start a bonfire of friendship.....great now I feel all warm and fuzzy..
The OCA
Please stop the self-righteousness. It does no good, and merely makes you sadder. If the world were truly so bad, "they" would already have imprisoned most of us and shut down this site.

There should be no complaining about human nature. Humans are just packs of impulses and desires, including the desire to do good, the moral impulse. Quite a damn few people act on it, and you shouldn't defame them.

You have no cause for depression, as these seeming catastrophes in fact only come to your mind by virtue of "the overreporting of the negative." People emphasize and publicize the bad things that happen, and so we hear of them the most. Every generation thinks they live through the Apocalypse, but none ever do or will.

Now sing from Monty Python... "Always look on the bright side of life..." I will award cookies and bonus points for crucifying oneself while singing.

Yeah, I'm really fucking tired.
Anonmon Wrote:There should be no complaining about human nature. Humans are just packs of impulses and desires, including the desire to do good, the moral impulse. Quite a damn few people act on it, and you shouldn't defame them.

You have no cause for depression, as these seeming catastrophes in fact only come to your mind by virtue of "the overreporting of the negative." People emphasize and publicize the bad things that happen, and so we hear of them the most. Every generation thinks they live through the Apocalypse, but none ever do or will.

Now sing from Monty Python... "Always look on the bright side of life..." I will award cookies and bonus points for crucifying oneself while singing.

Yeah, I'm really fucking tired.

Darn! Why anomon? I read everyone's post, and when I get to the last one, it makes my point.

Anyway, people and the media in general focus on the negative. There are no news stories of me and the large number of kids who spend thier Christmas vacations repairing old peoples rotting homes out of the kindness of our hearts.

By the way, not to advertise too much but...

The organization that I support is called Homeworks. We go around and fix up old houses of the poor and old. It is mostly based in Columbia, South Carolina, but we also do a Peru trip. I never got to do that part, because I couldn't get the innoculations...

Anyway, If you are in the Carolina area, and would like to do some good with me and Homeworks, let me know, and I can give you a website with information.

You are talking about groups to change the world? This is one of them, and i've been doing it for two years now, and it makes a difference.
Renamon's Army
Quote:Humans are just packs of impulses and desires, including the desire to do good, the moral impulse

Everything has impusle and desire. But it is this animal, the human, with a process of thought, thinks of what morals are. There is no moral impulse, just thoughtful conformity.

Quote:Anyway, people and the media in general focus on the negative.

Negativity and displeasure are exciting in the world of kindness and selflessness.

Quote:The organization that I support is called Homeworks. We go around and fix up old houses of the poor and old. It is mostly based in Columbia, South Carolina, but we also do a Peru trip.

Quote:You are talking about groups to change the world? This is one of them, and i've been doing it for two years now, and it makes a difference.

Change is accidental. Change cannot be coerced or formed by the hands of any creature on this planet. You want to believe your changing the world but what your really doing is enforicing the status of the poor and the old, who realize through these events that they are obselete, too handicapped to maintain a simple dwelling.

Selflessness is a greed within itself. And Greed is incidental with change. Because in the end that what change becomes, Greed. No matter how hard you try to define and bend actions for change, all it resounds to is greed. It's a natural human instinct.
Marine what you just said is a load of bullshit.

Here is something that happen end to me. In sixth grade I was snobby to this one student the whole year. The seventh grade the same student caused me to be late for a class I ruffed him up. In eighth grade the said student came up to me with a knife in hand ready to strike me down, but I pinned him down and asked him what I did to piss him off. He told me what his problem was with me. I aplojized for what I did to him, I help him with some of his other bully problems, and we become best of friends over since then.

So in sort becareful who you hurt because it will come and bite you in the butt one day.
[Image: dragonimage_76557_72430_pixel.gif]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Gabumon Loverz
The world? Truly, there is nothing wrong with our world. It's us people that make it this way. People hurt, Not trees. People Steal, Not mountains. People Kill, Not the sky. It's us people who're doing this, and it's our choice whether we continue this or change for the better.

So what's our problem? It's us.
So true DarkBlue, we cause most of our problem.
[Image: dragonimage_76557_72430_pixel.gif]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Gabumon Loverz
It's interesting that a few of you are trying to justify kindness as wrong.

Let's take this 'Free Hugs' campaign. Did a lot of people do it just as an impulse? Yes. But what about the small amount of people who really NEEDED a hug? Somebody who was about to commit suicide, has financial problems, needs a push in the right direction. Something as simple as a hug could help give these people the confidence they need to try to work out their problems.

Marine, quite frankly, your being an apathetic asshole. Society will always be flawed, but what's wrong with the people who try to make a change for the better in it? Those people who, say, fix houses for the old and poor or run food drives for those who can't feed themselves? Humans have the most powerful minds on the Earth and debatably in the galaxy. Instead of using it to follow their 'let the weak die out and the strong prosper' mentality, which the world follows by itself, we try to help other people who normally would not make it on their own. Look at Steven Hawkings; if he were any other animal on Earth, he'd be dead within days. Did we follow the survival of the fittest mentality? No, we cared for him and educated him, and look what we got; one of the most intelligent and important figures in modern science.

We do kind things for a desire to make ourselves feel good, this is obvious. But what's wrong with making somebody else feel good in the process? Let's go out on a limb and define 'good feelings' on a 1-10 scale. If helping someone out gave you AND the person you helped a '3' feeling, and, oh, I don't know, let's say, watching a movie also gave you a '3' feeling, which one would you choose? The one that benefits solely you, or the one that acts on our moral impulses to help others (by the way, the assumption here is that both required the same amount of effort, work, etc.)?

Am I an extremist who would do something like that? HELL NO, I'm just not that devoted. But somebody with that desire to help others and the devotion to that cause should be admired, not put down. I'll do little things like help an old lady with her bags or retrieve a ball that rolled into the street that some kids were using. Help someone out, make yourself feel good, make someone else feel good.