Join our server on Discord

Do all parents have trouble letting go?
Quote:You run the risk of infection.

True

Quote:You lose time and money getting the piercing.

Kind of true, maybe an hour ( but hey an hour out of my house isn't a bad thing) and money is my parents problem :P

Quote:You'll be seen as less reliable

Possibly but it is their loss

Quote:less attractive by the majority of society.

I would only be unattractive to those who don't understand

Quote:Though you think you're rebelling

No I think I am being myself

Quote:you're just conforming to everyone else with a piercing

Good for me!

Quote:your message is ambiguous.

Only to those who are afraid (which is most) of being different

Quote:Now, do what no one on this board (except for urban dream) has been able to do in 2800 posts: Prove me wrong.

I will find a way, I have been waiting to do that for quite a while but my oppurtunity will come.
Veemon's Followers
Quote:Quote:
your message is ambiguous.

Only to those who are afraid (which is most) of being different
:?: I mean the message that you're trying to get across by getting a piercing. What are you trying to say? A piercing can have all sorts of symbolic meanings. Does it mean that you're a masochist? That would be the most obvious interpretation to someone unfamiliar with the supposed culture.

Quote:Possibly but it is their loss
If you're distrusted unfairly, it's still your loss.

Quote:I would only be unattractive to those who don't understand
If you're unattractive in a garish way to those who don't understand, and if those people happen to be police officers or others with authority, it could still be your loss.

Quote:Quote:
you're just conforming to everyone else with a piercing

Good for me!
At least you admit that you're conforming. Most kids who get piercings tend to think that they're rebelling (according to the stereotype, which you fit otherwise).
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Quote:and money is my parents problem

By the way, what if you indeed had an infection as Wise says? You'd make your parents lose lots of money in an operation just so you feel good with yourself? I think that's a bit unfair, don't you?
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
all this is confusing <.<;

rorancrystalwolf Wrote:Kind of true, maybe an hour ( but hey an hour out of my house isn't a bad thing) and money is my parents problem

bad boy o.o

DragonMasterX Wrote:By the way, what if you indeed had an infection as Wise says? You'd make your parents lose lots of money in an operation just so you feel good with yourself? I think that's a bit unfair, don't you?

well you can't be thinking of all the cons there will be before you do something, it would mess up alot of things anyone would try to do.
Veemon's Followers
I think it's quite normal to think what could happen if you let someone pierce your 1st barrier against infection. And what could result if you need to be operated. Your parents would have to pay a lot.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Quote:Question I mean the message that you're trying to get across by getting a piercing. What are you trying to say? A piercing can have all sorts of symbolic meanings. Does it mean that you're a masochist? That would be the most obvious interpretation to someone unfamiliar with the supposed culture.

Well I am trying to say that I am not afraid of society and I don't have to hide my interests and I can freely be myself. I might be a masochist but it is too early to tell.

Quote: If you're distrusted unfairly, it's still your loss.

It is bad to trust those you are afraid of anyway.

Quote:and if those people happen to be police officers or others with authority, it could still be your loss. [/code]

True but if they don't have the time to get to know me then I don't have the time to care.

Quote:Most kids who get piercings tend to think that they're rebelling (according to the stereotype, which you fit otherwise).

I am not like most kids.

Quote: Quote: and money is my parents problem

By the way, what if you indeed had an infection as Wise says? You'd make your parents lose lots of money in an operation just so you feel good with yourself? I think that's a bit unfair, don't you?

No, since my dad was in the military we have preety nice insurance and an infection treatment surgery is minor at best. Besides I am not ignorant enough to get an infection from a piercing ( which can only be caused by improper care)
Veemon's Followers
Wisemon Wrote:Unlike Nate, my opinion here isn't shaped by any religion.

My opinion on piercings as my personal choice is influenced by my religious views. I won't let any religion tell me what is or isn't right, though, nor will I allow anybody else to tell me what I think or should think. What I seek here is to share my feelings and perhaps come to understand the feelings of one person interested in body modification (clearly this particular discussion seems to not involve much of that community).

I did not come to tell him to not do it, but to discuss with him the risks and ways of thinking that both come with and surround the concept. His body is his to take care as he sees fit, and in the same way I wouldn't let anyone else tell me what to do with mine, I don't expect to sway him unless he has a desire on some level to be swayed. This attitude is my norm when enetering any controversial conversation or debate: "I do not expect to change your mind, but I will still put forth all the effort due to an attempt to do so."

How any divine being (Though I personally believe in one god, I also believe that there may be other gods in this universe) may judge him for doing it, this is not my place to take the role of such a being. I see this not as a desecration of a temple, but on par with cutting the bark of a tree to show that you were there, or pulling the legs off of a grasshopper. I view it as a crime against nature, not against the divine.

My reason for not doing it to myself is both natural and spiritual. But my spirituality has little to do with my stance on piercings, at least in my own mind. I realize that no matter how well I know myself, I will never understand how my mind works, and so although I do not believe my spirtuality is directly connected to my stance on body modification, I admit that I may simply not understand how exactly my mind links the two.

My stance on hedonism, however, comes from my spiritual side, and someone getting piercings for hedonisic reasons would clearly be part of my spiritual views, since thta's just one way they're trying to find a fulfilment I believe only some sort of religious belief, even atheistic beliefs for some, can bring. And religious beliefs, to me, are something only the person who needs to live with them can decide upon. Though I may teach what I believe, part of what I believe means teaching that your mileage may vary with anything, especially religious beliefs.

Perhaps to some, body piercings are their religious experiences. Perhaps some truly find satisfaction in that behaviour. I only stated that I've yet to see one who seemed happy or satisfied with their life, at least in my knowledge of them--not that it cannot bring happiness or satisfaction to anybody. I like avoiding unversalities, since very few things truly are universal.
rorancrystalwolf Wrote:Besides I am not ignorant enough to get an infection from a piercing ( which can only be caused by improper care)

Alas, if ignorance was the cause of most infections, they wouldn't be nearly so dangerous or inconvenient. Naturally, some places are more prone than others (particularly inside the mouth and naval), but sometimes no matter how hard you try, an infection sets in anyway. Just letting you know so you're not TOO surprised if it happens. ^_^

Nate Hunter Wrote:What I seek here is to share my feelings and perhaps come to understand the feelings of one person interested in body modification

This pretty much describes my stance on it as well, though I'm not quite so gifted with eloquence as Nate and, as such, haven't really said anything of great use or sense in this discussion.

Anyway roran, you can do it if you want. We're just on the outside wondering why you'd do it, trying to understand because it's not something we'd ever do ourselves.
senjuro Wrote:
Nate Hunter Wrote:What I seek here is to share my feelings and perhaps come to understand the feelings of one person interested in body modification

This pretty much describes my stance on it as well...

Same here, although I'm also trying to promote Roran's understanding of why others wouldn't want to be peirced, as well.

Roran, a Crystal Wolf, Wrote:True but if they don't have the time to get to know me then I don't have the time to care.

This is a very common way of thinking. That's why people should take the time to care.
Okay, this is becoming a little melodramatic; people are beginning to talk about an ear piercing as controversial for crying out loud! If you do think of a piece of jewelry that you can't see from 5 feet away as rebellious or even as a desecration, and Rorancrystalwolf doesn't, does he really need to be debated into thinking that? Even when it's not a debate?

Getting to the piercing itself: if you get your ear professionally pierced, and take care of it, it's an awfully small chance of getting an infection (by taking care, I mean cleaning it 2-3 times a day for 4 months!). If you're getting an ear piercing through the lobe, you're piercing the safest place on your face from a hazardous infection. Almost all infections there just need a spritz of ointment for a couple of weeks that'll probably set you back somewhere in the double digits, NOT an operation that puts your parents permanently on food stamps. lol .

And back to your first question about parents: If you're not a super child with a 4.0 GPA and a scholarship to UCLA at 15, they'll be censoring you until you finish high-school, believe it!