Join our server on Discord

Do all parents have trouble letting go?
Hey everyone! I don't know if this belongs in Rants or not. My problem is my parents. I am 15 going on 16. My parents seem to still think that I am 6 and I need a tricycle and a lollipop. Honestly I am sick of it. I want to get some piercings for my 16th birthday but my parents ( like most) aren't too keen on the idea. I don't know how to get it across to them that I am old enough to make a descision for myself. They may not even let me go to a concert of one of my favorite bands becuase they think I am too " young" for an all ages admitted show. Are all parents like this or is it just me? Do I deserve the right to be me or do I have to wait until I move out? That is what I don't get, it is my body, my money, my future, and my life. Do they have to make all my descisions for me?!?! I will get the piercings one way or another... I would just rather do it the easy way then the hard way.
Veemon's Followers
Oh, this is something I really don't understand; maybe it sounds to you a bit parent-ish. But: Why do you want piercings in the first place? Are they that good?

Well, whatever your response is to that, Col, I need to say that you should wait till you move out to do it. I'd rather try to see my parents smiling than angry. Otherwise, you should simply try to find a good argument to go against them and finally let you plan your life as you want to, not as they do.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
I don't like peircings. They aren't all that great, at all.

Repect your parent's wishes, but that concert thing is a little odd. All ages admitted? They should have let you go to that one.

But I'd say peircings are just a bad idea. I just can't see the attraction of being stabbed with a pin and then hanging things off yourself.
Clearly, you have no idea what piercings do to your body.

Unless you're a fan of mutilating yourself, you might want to think about reconsidering.

And parents... What can I say about them. They're your parents. Live with it.
In all ways it varies. Concerts, I don't know. Are you going by yourself or with a group? As for the piercings, if they draw the line and do not let you, wait. That is something you could definitely wait on.
Yeah, I moved it.
To make permanent changes like piercings, you have to think it over for a long time and then decide. You can't go back when you've decided. Think how would you look like with them when you're 30, 45, 60. Plus it has to be done by a doctor, and I don't think that many that perform them are.
On the safe side, why don't you wear some non-permanent piercings, like the magnetic ones?
I agree with Zeph, like I told you before, roran.

Kids with piercings and tatoos stand out and tend to get picked on and ostracized. Parents don't really want their children to go through that just for the sake of a cosmetic change that may or may not be difficult to reverse. If you're really interested in getting a piercing or tattoo, you still will be when you're 18 or whatever age it is in the US when you can make the decision with a parent's endorsement.
DrakeRR Wrote:Clearly, you have no idea what piercings do to your body.

Unless you're a fan of mutilating yourself, you might want to think about reconsidering.

And parents... What can I say about them. They're your parents. Live with it.

Not true, I have a cartilage piercing at the moment and I am well aware of all the risks involved. ANd as far as being outcasted and ostracized. That is already happened. I am not doing this to fit in or be cool I am doing it to be me and who I am. I find piercings to be an ancient traditon and I love the thought of changing my outside appearance. I am unhappy with my body and I know that piercings and tattoos will help me become more attached to my body. I am well aware of all the risk factors and I have thought long and hard for about a year. I will be 16 soon , meaning I can get them professionally done. Also, Body Modification is addictive.. trust me on this one!
Veemon's Followers
Piercings are stupid. You pay for them. They're inconvenient. You run the risk of infection. You're less likely to get hired. They make you uglier. Though you think you're standing out, you're actually conforming to everyone else who gets piercings. If you want to make a statement, do it vocally or on paper. Your parents are trying to keep you from being a dumbass.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
*palms forehead* Again, Wisemon being the excessively harsh voice of reason. If only politicians were as up-front as you!

Basically, roran, there are good points to what you want to do, and there are bad ones. Unfortunately, society has a VERY negative stigma attached to what you're proposing. You might feel like it's something you want to do now, but you may regret it later.

Just think it through.