Join our server on Discord

Do all parents have trouble letting go?
rorancrystalwolf Wrote:Piercing, tattoos, scarification, and other modifications are active political protest and lead to positive cultural reform.

Please tell me you were joking when you posted this. :shock:

The best way to get a point across? Talking and/or civilized debating. Costs much less and proves you as a much intellect person. True, it's your body and you can do whatever you want BUT don't do stuff like that just to get some stupid point across. (Because it doesn't get the "point" across) Do it if you truly do want to.

For example; I've thought of taking a tatoo of Finnish flag and bellow it would read "Suomi Finland PERKELES!!" Not because I'd want to make a point or because it'd please anyone, but because I myself want to have a tatoo. Plus, no one can laugh when you're patriotic enough to tatoo your country's name. :D

Also take it from me, since I used to feel that way. Cherish the moments with your parents. You'll miss them a lot, even the not so happy moments when you've moved to your own apartment.
[Image: Seethsig.jpg]

[Image: promo.jpg]

Lord Patamon Wrote:King of sadism alright, that's a perfect title for you
No I was not joking and there is posititve cultural reform where ever one with body modification goes. It exposes children and all people to the ways people live. It helps people become open minded and more educated in the way people as a whole and a person as an individual will act to be happy. Liven up Mr.T and open your mind alot more.
Veemon's Followers
rorancrystalwolf Wrote:No I was not joking and there is posititve cultural reform where ever one with body modification goes. It exposes children and all people to the ways people live. It helps people become open minded and more educated in the way people as a whole and a person as an individual will act to be happy. Liven up Mr.T and open your mind alot more.

I am sorry but I have no idea what you just said. If you meant I'm not open minded enough, I like to think of myself as quite open minded person and very accepting people as they are. As I said, if you do want to take piercings, be my guest. I am just saying you'd have better results with simply talking.

rorancrystalwolf Wrote:we demand the right to treat our bodies as our own, and we strongly urge all to do the same.

Do you really think this is right? And what for people who do NOT want to get pierced? Would you really encourage your friends to pierce themselves just because you do so?

How would you feel if after three months, one of your pierced friends would say: "What have I done to myself..." and you were the one who told him or her to pierce themselves? Would you feel right about what you would have done?

That culture seems a clear politic of brainwashing towards society in my opinion with that line you posted, Collin.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
DragonMasterX Wrote:That culture seems a clear politic of brainwashing towards society in my opinion with that line you posted, Collin.

It's just a poorly thought out sentence. "Brainwashing society" seems to be taking that a little far.

I would like to point out that the topic was not about "I want my ears peirced!", but about "I want my ears peirced and my parents won't let me!", so perhaps we could return, this cycle of debate complete, to the intital subject, and share some amusing, sad, or encoraging anecdotes about parents.
I know this is no laughing matter...but I'm laughing my ass off...w00t! Go Collin! Seriously..Wisemon, go voice your opinions somewhere else...Collin does have a good point...you close-mindedness isn't welcome. There isn't really much I can say because Collin said it...there ya go taking words right outta my mouth....again.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
The OCA
mistysilverwolf Wrote:I know this is no laughing matter...but I'm laughing my ass off...w00t! Go Collin! Seriously..Wisemon, go voice your opinions somewhere else...Collin does have a good point...you close-mindedness isn't welcome. There isn't really much I can say because Collin said it...there ya go taking words right outta my mouth....again.

I beg your pardon?

"Wisemon: go voice your opinion else where! We don't want to hear your opinion because you're close minded!"

Now, you've probably spotted the hypocracy, but in case you haven't, allow me to point it out.

That's close minded to Wisemon's opinion. In fact, by telling him to go elsewhere, you're being discrimative, which is about as close minded as you can get.

Now, please return to the topic's roots and stop with this "modified" business.
Herr Mullen Wrote:
DragonMasterX Wrote:That culture seems a clear politic of brainwashing towards society in my opinion with that line you posted, Collin.

It's just a poorly thought out sentence. "Brainwashing society" seems to be taking that a little far.

I'm to blame. I was the one who said it when he asked me what's the word. :D

Quote:Seriously..Wisemon, go voice your opinions somewhere else...Collin does have a good point...you close-mindedness isn't welcome.

Ironically; you two are the close minded ones in this discussion. (And everyone elsewhere in the forum, it seems to me) You can't accept any other reply other than the one that pleases you. (Which are like; non existant on this entire forum as it seems) That's called close mindedness. And for the record; it wasn't a good point.

rorancrystalwolf Wrote:
Wisemon Wrote:Piercings are stupid. You pay for them. They're inconvenient. You run the risk of infection. You're less likely to get hired. They make you uglier. Though you think you're standing out, you're actually conforming to everyone else who gets piercings. If you want to make a statement, do it vocally or on paper. Your parents are trying to keep you from being a dumbass.

I am sorry to say this Wisemon but your closed- mindedness towards the subject is unwelcome. Most of these statements are untrue. . .

Let's break this down, man.

(1) Piercings are stupid.

This one is subjective, and thus is as true as the person saying it believes it to be.

(2) You pay for them.

Whether in money or health effects, or both, this statement in true beyond doubt. You pay to get a piercing and you may pay for having one as well.

(3) They're inconvenient.

Again, a subjective matter, an opinion. If you don't agree, don't call it a lie, just accet that this is Wisemon's opinion and let him have, and express, it.

(4) You run the risk of infection.

This is irrefutably true. Whenever you get a piercing, it can get infected. Just like every scrape, cut, or pulled tooth can become infected, so can a piercing. Wisemon did not state is as an absolutism (if you get a pirecing you WILL get an infection), but as a possibility. A TRUE possibility.

(5) You're less likely to get hired.

In my place of employment, we cannot wear any jewelry, with I believe two exceptions -- a watch, and a wedding band. Many places will discriminate against you if you have multiple piercings, particularly in societally unsightly places, when looking at you for the sake of hiring. Even those that do hire you may still require you to not wear anything in the piercings while you are on duty. Therefore I would say that, while discriminatory, the statement is true.

(6) They make you uglier.

Wisemon's own opinion, but one I generally share. This cannot be universally true or false, as he is expressing an opinion here. However, the societal stance tends to look down upon people with excessive or multiple piercings and portray them as "undesirable", whether such is explicitly "ugly" or not. Socially speaking, they will make you less attractive to the general public.

(7) Though you think you're standing out, you're actually conforming to everyone else who gets piercings.

Since you are apparently showing yourself to us as a member of the Body Modification subculture, his wording seems to be an accurate view of what you're doing here. You aren't doing it to stand out for your own sake, but to be part of a subculture.

(8) Your parents are trying to keep you from being a dumbass.

Wow. A nice blunt way to put it, and maybe if you were to ask them directly in this fashion, they would even agree with the wording. Wisemon is only expressing his thoughts about why your parents are doing this, so let me add my two cents...

(8b) Your parents are trying to keep you from doing this because they love you exactly as you are.

Now seriously, if your 16-year-old mind is so dead set on this, maybe you shouldn't have even brought this up. If there is no way you will possibly be convinced to even consider another way of "standing out", if that's what you want, then ignore us. You lisyten and show the close-mindedness you claim we're showing. Well maybe we are, but at least we're honest about it.

And to be fair, if this is a truly mature decision you want to take full responsibility for, then here's my advice: If you are absolutely certain you want this, if you know that you will never, ever regret it -- GO FOR IT.

However consider this also: If you are so convinced, though, then why would waiting an extra 24 months or so hurt? You'd have the extra two years to ensure that you are committed to it and to make sure that it's what you want, and that you won't regret it.

Keep in mind as you make your decisions, the following words: "Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." (E.T. Bell)
Okay chill out people. When I said that Wisemon was being close minded I was directing it at his " Piercings are ugly" statement. That is all I was trying to point out that piercings to some, are way of expressing oneself. I am getting the piercings done, and they are my choice. I appreciate the comments ( no matter how one sided or blunt) and have taken them all into consideration. And as for the " we demand the right to treat our bodies as our own, and we strongly urge all to do the same." line. I was trying to get a point across. we ( the modified) demand the right to do what we want with our bodies. We are not trying to brainwash the community. The whole " we urge you all to do the same" is simply stating that you should do what you want to with your body and not think of anyone but yourself and what makes you happy. I didn't mean that I think people should be selfish but I know that people need to take themselves into consideration when making any kind of bodily change and do it even if there workplace prohibits it. When you think about it, almost any body change can be covered, removed, or even unnoticed.
Veemon's Followers