Join our server on Discord

American Inventor
Quote:Bah, America has rubbish telly.
British humor is like 70% men in drag. It's not nearly as "droll" as you think it is. Every British attempt at comedy I've ever seen has been incredibly overrated, just like British punk music. You're throwing stones from a glass television screen.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Herr Mullen Wrote:There is no poverty in American television. No-one starves, no-one is homeless and looked upon with sympathy. If there's a homeless man, he will be there to be made fun of. "Homeless people are crazy. Homeless people think the government is listening to their teeth."

You REALLY need to check out 24. There's one point in the first season when a girl is trying to escape her captors in some slums and comes across a squatter giving another guy a blowjob for cash. He flips out at her because his trick runs off, but reluctantly ends up trying to help her. He gets caught, though, and beaten to holy hell (and most likely killed).

In short, 24 shows the murky underbelly of North American society quite a lot more than most other shows, that totally ignore its existance. It's kind of like: "Hey, look! Crooked politicians, drug dealers, terrorists that aren't arabs! Gay people! Pedophiles! Bad guys killing hostages left, right and center! Characters with lives, backstories, skeletons in their closets!" I rather love it.

Even though 24 is primetime, I don't know many people besides me who watch it. I think everyone should. There are a lot of little things in there that speak so loudly of human nature.
Quote:In short, 24 shows the murky underbelly of North American society quite a lot more than most other shows, that totally ignore its existance. It's kind of like: "Hey, look! Crooked politicians, drug dealers, terrorists that aren't arabs! Gay people! Pedophiles! Bad guys killing hostages left, right and center! Characters with lives, backstories, skeletons in their closets!" I rather love it.
I've seen 24, and I know that a lot of these non-stereotypical culprits are exceptions. For the most part, 24 is propaganda perpetuated by the same company that owns Fox News. There's permeability between Fox and Fox News, despite the liberal nature of the Simpsons; never forget that what you're seeing on Fox could be subversively right wing.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Also never forget that most of what's on television is bullshit.

I turn on the TV for two shows, really: "The Daily Show" (now many people's main source of news, but I still read the papers every day) and "The Boondocks" (simply the best thing on TV).

It all makes me very thankful for the coming a la carte TV pricing and, of course, DVD seasons of any show I like.
Yes, I do like the boondocks. Wise does too. Any see the MLK ep?
24 sounds interesting, but it, seems to me, that if you miss an episode you'll get lost quickly. The other major deterant is that one time two of my friends where talking about it, and, if I didn't know what show it was, it would have sounded like they were talking about a soap opera.

I enjoy comedy and a little news... well probably not what most people call comedy these days.
I don't think I actually mentioned British comedy.
UnknownH Wrote:Yes, I do like the boondocks. Wise does too. Any see the MLK ep?

"And then a miraculous thing happened. The revolution finally came!"
Harie Wrote:24 sounds interesting, but it, seems to me, that if you miss an episode you'll get lost quickly. The other major deterant is that one time two of my friends where talking about it, and, if I didn't know what show it was, it would have sounded like they were talking about a soap opera.

Well, the plot is pretty convoluted, but it's a really great show. I have a funny sense of humor...for example, Jack Bauer (the main character of 24) makes me laugh a lot, but only because he's such a bad ass and says such hilariously bad ass things. Like, "The only reason you're still conscious is 'cause I don't want to carry you." Or his penchant for shooting un-cooperative suspects in the knee.

Yeah, maybe I'm a little sick, but deep down, I wish I was as tough as Jack Bauer.
Senjuro wrote:

Quote:I have a funny sense of humor...for example, Jack Bauer (the main character of 24) makes me laugh a lot, but only because he's such a bad ass and says such hilariously bad ass things.

Well, senjuro, you have a wierd sense of humor all right.... How about House? Talk about intelligence and being blunt to the point of genius.... House is my 24...

~~
lonelygabu~~
~~
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds