Join our server on Discord

DaD - Past and Future (contd. above)
holy crap that much a month... wow... um i could give like 6 buck monthly maybe but thats not enough to keep the site up.. unless like everyone did that. wow never knew it was that much.
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I don't have the firmest grasp on what the prospects are. From what I've gathered, it's the art section that's the biggest problem. I don't know about you, but I don't need an art section, or at the very least, I agree with the artists hosting their own work idea. How much would the site cost per month without the art? If it's reasonable, I'd be willing to help out with a chunk, either by check or PayPal.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
It's good that the sites back. (hey anon you forgot to list me. no problem though) But the other sites for artists would be pretty useful. It might cut down a lot on bandwidth. (and if I'd had any money this would be one of the first places I donate to.)
Yeah, I did. Lemme edit the post.

I just think that we should have a small art section for those whose work isn't hosted elsewhere. Look on the DHZ boards and note, for example, that this is the only place to host Prophet's work. Or TrickYAH (who only has one picture, but...) and others. They should get there space while multi-site artists' works get deleted and off-site links put in their place. Since most artists aren't only here that would cut down some on the bandwidth.
ah good to see the page is back. ^.^ Started to get worried about it after it didn't come back after the usual two, three days when such IP issues happened before. :3
Anonmon Wrote:Let's see, major posters before the crash:

Zephyr
Wisemon
Me
Zeebo (I think)
DV85
Jeannette
Anti-Wisemon (where is he, anyway?)
UnknownH

Minor posters:
A shitload of people

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'd like to say that I was a pretty active member. i just also happened to work behind the scenes. Moderating did happen to be needing for posts and topics, you know.

To the idea of merchandising, it sounds like a good idea, but we also have to consider that we'd be making money of an already-existing licensed property. I really dont think we'd want Disney, of all people, to get on top of us for selling bootlegged material of characters they currently hold the rights over in the US.

Maybe we could take a route suggested to me by Chibi when he first put up my ad for commissions and have artists start doing their own commissions with a small side amount paid towards the site for advertising them? I've actually gotten a pretty healthy load of customers, thanks to the ad for my services being put up in the galleries, so why not, maybe it could to have a few more artists be put up? Basically, they could be renting out advertising space, and maybe, to be fair and make sure they're not getting jacked, the site could have all requests be relayed through them and then to the artist, so they know of the business transaction, and thus make sure they get their commission from the sale.

Just a small idea, is all.
ok sorry if i sound like an idiot but can someone explain how to give cash to this place? been looking at this site since, 3 or so years back, wasnt active since this is the first post i got but i'd sure like to help, im in college now and most of its getting paid so once one of my job apps comes in i could start giving stuff, i really like this site (not in a perv way.. well not only..)
(Hello there, people... It's been a while since I was last around at this place. Other things have kept me preoccupied, so I haven't exactly been around a lot anywhere on the internet... But seeing this "crisis", I feel sort of obliged to add my ten cents and pop out of stasis at least for the duration. Don't mind me! ^^; )

I might be able to help out a little. I don't know if it does any good, but I at least want to make the offer.
As some of you know, me, Tiamat and Neko jointly have a small website (http://www.digifantasy.com if you care for a shameless plug) that is hosted by the aforementioned Ketnar. Now, our hosting and bandwidth is technically unlimited. Of course, it's not *really* unlimited, naturally it's expected to be kept within reasonable limits, but these are not clearly defined, and I know the Ketnar guys are tolerant about things as long as you don't harm the performance of their entire server or try to leech so many resources out of them they end up making a loss.
Anyway, out of that "unlimited within reasonable bounds" measure, the Digital Fantasy is really using hardly any resources, so I'd say it'd be acceptable to whack some more stuff on there, without ripping off the Ketnar guys. Now, no use letting that space and bandwidth all go to waste, it's payed for after all... So my offer: If it's needed, I'd be willing to let the DaD have some of those resources. I'm probably not in a position to host everything here (and I wouldn't want to find out the hard way, anyway). However, I can offer to host some of it. Maybe just the fiction, or the message board, or maybe I could set up some sort of mirror for parts of the gallery. Anything to ease the load on the DaD's main server.
The offer, vague as it may be, stands, and if it's wanted, I'll gladly give my help. Feel free to give me your thoughts on this, people, and Chibi - if you're interested, drop me a line and maybe we can discuss this further. If not, well, then not. ^^;
And they said the old-timers abandoned it. This proves the theory that you don't know your friends until you're down, even if you happen to be a website.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Wisemon Wrote:And they said the old-timers abandoned it. This proves the theory that you don't know your friends until you're down, even if you happen to be a website.

That why i have a GuilyScale now? Or is that meaning something else on your sig? ;P