Join our server on Discord

My Digimon run down...
Quote:Takuya lived in a house with his sibling and mother although I don't recall seeing a father. Then again I haven't watched episodes of digimon in a long time so I'm probably getting rusty on the subject.
Takuya's father was coming home for his birthday (phone conversation with Mrs. Kanbara), so Takuya obviously lived with both parents too. The point is: most anime leaders come from broken homes, but not DigiDestined leaders.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Wisemon Wrote:
Quote:Takuya lived in a house with his sibling and mother although I don't recall seeing a father. Then again I haven't watched episodes of digimon in a long time so I'm probably getting rusty on the subject.
Takuya's father was coming home for his birthday (phone conversation with Mrs. Kanbara), so Takuya obviously lived with both parents too. The point is: most anime leaders come from broken homes, but not DigiDestined leaders.

Right, because they're supposed to be recklessly optimistic idiots who don't take reality into account. Having a broken home sort of forces a bit of Reality on you.
Yeah besides, it's a bunch of different character types so they already have the angstbucket as a character so the leader is that type. Those types usally clash so that's a good dynamic.
Actually, the angstbuckets on Digiimon sometimes get so annoying you want them to die off. ie: Ichijouji Ken.
Quote:Actually, the angstbuckets on Digiimon sometimes get so annoying you want them to die off. ie: Ichijouji Ken.
Or Matt from Season 1.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
They didn't make nearly as big a deal of Matt's angst as they did with Ken's. Matt's they integrated into the plot very early on (like, the VERY first episode when it snowed at their summer camp) so you could at least think "Yeah ok, he cares about his little brother, and he doesn't feel like he has any friends."

Ken is just like, "Hi, I'm unspeakably evil...no wait, I had a very abrupt change of heart and now I'm really vulnerable and I have to cry, be uncertain, and refuse any overtures of friendship for no apparent reason other than that I am doing some soul searching totally uncharactersitic of a kid my age."

That was my take on it anyway.
True, well Ken hardly lived a normal kid's life.
Ken's problem was sam and his death. That was his whole deal, matt only had a divorce to deal with.
Well not really... there was also the whole thing of turning into the "Digimon Emporer" and trying to oppress the Digital World.
And that came from his brother being what he was and the death that he thought he caused. This made oikawa(or myotismon in oikawa) reach out to him when he was upset. That manifested into the emperor we saw.