Join our server on Discord

sensoring episodes: good or bad?
That's why I buy some of the shows on dvd the uncut uncsenored version of it
um yeah how do i delete a post i doubled?
Dont worry, I'll take care of it ;3

P.S. Im moving this into the general digimon discussion section, so you all know.
You have to consider this from a business point of veiw. Is having swears on a children's show considered to be good for business? It's a business, guys, not an artform.
Best way of fixing this is to make two versions of the show. One for the younger age group, and the full uncut way for the older age group!
yeah, well here where I live we got Inuyasha without cut escenes, same with digimon, but we sure got Pokemon with some escenes removed, but is because while we got Inuyasha and Digimon directly from Japan, we got Pokemon from 4-Kids Entertainment distribution.
Creative Minds
Lady Devimon's Minions
in my oppinion i dont see a thing wrong with swears cause there just words plus ANIME IS NOT MENT TO HAVE PARTS TAKEN OUT!!! Evil ......but thats just me :P
Let us not judge cut scenes as "good" or "bad", involving it to an issue of ethics or morals. Admittedly, it is a (potential) violation of the artist's work, but we can leave that for the law-makers and artists to decide.

I propose that we call it a "necessary imperfection" in the translation process, much like changes in the scripts and changes to character names. They may seem bad to a certain point of view, but too often they are nothing more than imperfections in the localization process of a series. Sometimes the imperfections are the fault of the company localizing the series, sometimes the fault of federal standards for broadcast (based on the time of day a program is aired, these regulations vary), and sometimes they're simply caused by a lack of a convenient translation (as with puns and many figures of speech) in the target language.

Any translation will be imperfect -- even within different eras of the same language a "perfect" translation can become difficult if not impossible, so between separate and unrelated languages, it's not hard to see that these imperfections are a necessary "evil".

I do not think it is "right" for a company to edit scenes simply for the sake of airing a program, unless they are willing to at least keep the unedited version for a VHS or DVD release of the series.

In regard to some of the comments posted, however...

GabumonRules -- First off, only one particular scene with Kojiro (James) was cut when the episode finally was aired (there are still two "lost" episodes of Pokemon, however, which may never be aired for reasons unrelated to Kojiro), and this has been addressed before anyhow.

Concerning the Sailormoon edits, there were a lot of changes there, including changing Sailors Neptune and Uranus to "cousins" to conceal their lesbian relationship, as well as the Zoicite and Kunzite relationship (by changing Zoicite to a woman)... it may be one of the most butchered dubs out there.

Jamesbond007 -- It would cost more money that it would bring in to make two versions of a show, unless you simply mean like the TV and Video versions of some series (ie: the North American version of Tenchi Muyo Ryo-ohki has 'swimsuits' airbrushed in during bathing scenes, while the video version retains the nudity of the original Japanese release).

To Everybody:

Even Digimon has been censored in the North American release -- in the episodes where Taichi and Yamato are fighting, they freeze frame a lot to prevent showing punches between the boys. This is visible because it sort of "pixelizes" during the freeze frames bits, and I only noticed this strongly while watching the second episode (the one during the Dark Masters arc) where they fight each other. This is only one such thing -- the episode where Pinocchimon kidnaps Takeru was cut (a bit more famously) because it involved a real-looking gun with company markings (for a real company).

Censoring is a "bad" thing, but censoring goes beyond just cut scenes and dialogue changes, because those would probably happen anyway. Censoring forces them to happen where they wouldn't normally occur, and is a way of protecting people from reality. I don't object to toning down language, but I do object to replacing a person who says "shit" with them saying something that removes the impact completely ("crap" or even "Oh, no!"
I have been most tempted to unleash my wrath apon the fcc.
(i am insane)
again pretty much what nate said was true if you look at the target audience and the time shown it can be much different like
inuyasha on adult swim 18 and up at midnight very few edits
yu-gi-oh kids weekdays afternoons and saturday mornings a large amount of edits
but the good news is now they have unedited yu-gi-oh dvds for the older crowd that like the show so it's all ok even thought the show may not have things that are "sutible" for the target audience

here's another example soul taker on g4tech tv at 1 a.m.
a bunch of religious references blood violence and in the end a girl looks like she's naked
this would never fly at any other time so it's on late night
and one more example super milk chan on adult swim 12:30 now this no kid would understand cause it's so messed up tha's why it's on so late
so that's all I will say about that