Join our server on Discord

Can this be Real? @_@
Hey, I got a new theory for ya! Gundam Wing: The Movie... a live action one too! And this will be in the movie as just a prop. The actual fighting will be CGI.

I can just imagine this being true too. Then again, from what I can tell in the pic, I think it's not really impressive enough to be in a movie. It looks like a model after all.

I think that it would be highly foolish to build a big and bulky robot. Gravity would have a fun time keeping the robot too heavy to move like even as fast as a human. My suggestion is to make smaller, more mobile suits. I can just imagine 10 feet tall suits that are mech, but they allow humans WAAAY more mobility than a large gundam sized one can. And they are built for speed, so they are slimmer. And if something can still beat it's speed, attach rocket boosters to them,

I'm really no robot fan like many I know. In this case, I know not what I speak of.
and that boys and girl is why they only use a robot to fight a robot it makes it look better
As I Said, the Extension Cable wasnt the way to go, what you think I agreed with EVA...
Heh the one-man one-machine is reffering to the pilot # vs the machine. It takes 4-6 people to run one tank efficiently. And not to mention you are also using conventional science to measure and judge this by.
I said there would need to be *significant* amounts of head way made in several areas.
Heck the mech's in the MW world are powered by Cold Fusion, we dont even have a clue how to pull that off. The internal Structure would be similar to the human skeleton in manyways... the armor much like the skin (cept a lot harder i hope). In that future they have something called Ferro-Fibrous metals, best way to describe it is kinda like fibreglass but done with metalic molecules. Hence the reason I said Go look up Bucky Balls and carbon molecules, the research is astounding to say the least.

As to our Aircraft, How close do you think a YF22 Raptor wants to get to a mobile anti-air missile launcher set up at a 60' height. With the same tracking systems that it has??? Not very close. And do to the complications of hitting a moving ground target, even if it is going a lousy 20 kmph, requires either laser guidance or other forms of smart weaponry. ALL of which can be combated electronically IF you have the proper systems. Ahhh Vulcan? why waste the time. Rail Guns are the answer, dont know what a Rail Gun is, go look it up... and YES they do exist. Cost of manufacturing ammo... it could lob Concrete balls with a metal coating... that is in no way hard to manufacture.
Now if you actually read up on what researchers around the world are toying with on the carbon molecules it is the possibility of a complex carbon structure that is much stronger than any metal or alloy we now have... Now i will admit that this will be expensive and difficult to produce, but someone will have a want to make it so it will happen.
You seemed to completely ignore my comment, the Mech is a weapon that plays on fear. as for Artillery?!?! LOL Do you even realize how much time, consideration, mathematics, and luck it takes to hit a moving target? This is the modern world, bombarding an entire mile or two of land isnt exactly something people want to see from their military. (we prefer precision weaponry now). All of what I am trying to do is make you perhaps for half a second understand why some people, including myself are fascinated with the idea of a mech in combat. Though I myself do realise that we have so far to go before one will be efficient or even easily possible.

I'm still trippin that you thought I was serious about the extension cord... I said that to get a laugh out of anyone who knows what the EVA - 01 is. Of course Gundam style mecha are even farther out of possibility... beam weapons, a beam saber (ask a physics nut about this, I havent got a good response yet[unless you consider hysterical laughter good...]), and speed and agility to boot. Sorry folks just not even theoretically possible with our current tech level... wait for us to start actually understanding Quatum Sciences... then maybe... just maybe.

Also if you actually know anything about the world of Mechwarrior/ BattleTech, you would know that due to the problems of improving tanks and other light crafts (ie there is only so much you can do with a tread on a tank...) Mechs became a viable alternative to the infantry, and most forms of Artillery. Why have a semi-mobile 105mm howeitzer when you can have one that moves around easily??? (yes we had them in Vietnam).
Gawd Im rambling again. Ah well. It is nice to see atleast that I am getting some fun responses to my tirades...

-Ever the insane visionary....
Quote:My suggestion is to make smaller, more mobile suits. I can just imagine 10 feet tall suits that are mech, but they allow humans WAAAY more mobility than a large gundam sized one can. And they are built for speed, so they are slimmer. And if something can still beat it's speed, attach rocket boosters to them,
Agumongugu

well You are almost perfectly descriping the Clan (descript in a sec) Elemental. Take a genetically Engineered warrior (bred for size, speed, and strength; oh and a generally nasty attitude), strap on a small fusion core, add a big machine gun, a small compact laser, and small rocket like jets that power off of electricity, you have an Elemental. Light, Fast, Manueverable... until Mr 3 stories tall steps on you anyway... against our conventional combat units, and with advanced metallics as armor; yeah i think one of these is a viable Reality in 10 years. Just dont give them swords... that would just be an Insult to sword wielding maniacs across the world.
Well, there's a few problems with all this. One, Japan sucks at making weapons, and if anyone could do this it's the US.
Two, nuclear reactors inside weapons is just screaming "shoot me so I can take out everyone around me!" Snipers would have a ball, and the guys would be screwed against non-conventional armies, which could snipe the core (or just the guy in the suit) easily. It's the same thing with flamethrowers with a tank on the back.
Three, napalm, napalm, napalm. You better make the suits so they can withstand very hot temperature. One napalm bomb could probably take out a whole lot of those (remember that lesson from Vietnam?)
Four, you can't use nuclear energy in a weapon, it violates international agreements. If someone were to use nuclear energy, then someone else could use napalm.
Five, experimental subjects. What about the guys who don't make it? They'll be mutants of their former selves, and there'd be a severe public back-lash (same people that says stem-cell research kills babies).
Six, the research, building, training, maitnence cost is all very high. You'd have to have experts, and these experts would have to be able to repair any damage, since this isn't something like fixing a tank or an aircraft (ok, maybe like a B52 Stealth Bomber with a giant nuke on it).
Six, NUCLEAR MELTDOWN!
Seven, nuclear waste. What would you do with it all?
Eight, leaks, raidiation could kill them all if there was a leak.
Nine, mines. One o your guys step on them and the leg is injured, the pilot is injured, and maybe the nuclear reactor. Especially those ones that the nazis made that hop up to your mid-waist and then explode. They could upgrade that so it packs more of an explosion.
*sighs* go Research FUSION. It doesnt have the same issues as fission does... No chain reaction/meltdown.
A sniper HITTING a core? with what the worlds biggest sniper rifle? if it can take a hit from a tank, what can a piddly bullet do... As for hitting the pilot, yep. thats why you do it a different way. No open cockpit. use cameras to see, or other methods.
No Nuclear BOMBS, man right now we have (that's the USA) numerous Nuclear Powered Submarines, Aircraft Carriers, Destroyers, Cruisers, and other ships moving all over the ocean...
A nuclear reactor is much different than a nuclear bomb is.
A bomb causes an unstable chain reaction, a reactor uses hundreds of safety protocols to prevent the reaction from going out of control...

hrm Napalm on a huge metal machine... with multiple heat sinks... yeah it would cause issues, but i doubt it would easily do too much damage.
Just so you know there ARE two kinds of Nuclear reactions. Fission and Fusion... Fission is the breakdown of already unstable molecules, Fusion is combining molecules to create other molecules.
Fusion is what happens in the sun, Fission is what we have been dicking around with for 50 years.
My first guess was a live action Gundam movie. They've already done/working on live action City Hunter, Sailor Moon and Evangelion after all. I wouldn't exactly count the Korean made Street Fighter movie, that was just messed. More so than the American version.

As for the effectiveness of mecha in combat, it depends on terrain. Open fields and deserts, you want a tank.

Inside a city where manueverability is key, a mecha could prove to be more advantageous. If you're riding the road in a tank, I'm snipering your ass with heavy artillery from the building above you.

However, it'd be a decade or two before technology gets to the point where a giant robot would have proper balancers to stay standing, have easy enough controls yet have human-like reactions, and couldn't be taken out by a sharpshooter taking out the robot's joints.
Actually on that last post, I was talking more about thw 10-feet high mecha idea.

But, still, no one has discovered how to make a fusion reactor, or what fusion exactly is. It'll take a few decades to do that. And when they do, think about how expensive it will be to put them in Gundams. Billions...upon billions of dollars. And what about that new metal you are so fond of, the one that's more powerful than any alloy we have now? How much is that going to cost when we make it? That's another $1,000,000,000 for the whole armor right there. And, let's mention the research cost it will require so they'll know how to make the eletronic devices needed. Another $5,000,000 right there. And pilot training! $100,000 for the training, and another $100,000 for the pilot upkeep.
And maitnence, $100,000 monthly. And weapons, bullets costing about $40, (no, you cannot just fill a metal ball with cement, that's not how a gun's firing mechanism works) and the weapon costing about $20,000.
It's just not worth the budget.
wow this is compleacated
Wow, ok peoples this is Digimon, not Gundam wing. Somebody move this into a Gundam wing board.

Everyone: *gives me a mean look*

n,nevermind, heh, babble on! *backs away slowly and runs away*