Join our server on Discord

Kharon's October Contest: With Submission INFO
Once again, when can we see the results in by?
Well, since my judges still haven't gotten back to me...

I'll post my scores tomorrow morning or afternoon, and I'll pester my judges for the scores one more time tonight. If they don't get back to me, the scores as I have them are final. If they do I'll post those.

Sorry to make everybody wait for so long. You have all been given my respect for your patience.
Well.. it's basically 5 days PAST tomorrow.

Kharon.. you're being a tad lazy.. either that, or your judges have.

I think the public wants to know thier scores.
The result is obvious: LA sure will win.

Behold! I come, I see, I conquer!
The results are complete, and Lord Archive is not the sole winner in this contest. Score-wise, he has the highest, but comparing "Courage" to "On the Edge of Silence" without any bonus points for lemonry skill, they are tied.

AGZ and Lord Archive both received the highest scores before bonus points, and one received them while the other did not. So I am going to declare them as co-winners of the Halloween Tragedy Contest.

Following are my scoring charts so you can compare for yourselves.

Lord Archive "Courage"

Semantics: 19
Excellent use of punctuation, capitalization, and word flow make the story really stick to me as being a nigh on masterpiece with a few minor flaws.

Story: 50
Depression is something I can relate to, suicidal depression no, but depression is. The feelings in this story really choked me up, even though I wouldn't admit it.

Quality: 15
This story is amazing, and my comments will tell you a bit about how it made me feel, but it flows so wel that it's like butter on a bald monkey. i know, that sounds stupid, but it's how I feel about it.

COMMENTS:
Had I gotten this two weeks later, I probably would not have finished it even by now, because of how it pulls my heart right now. Even thinking back to the story it hurts me to see how much hurt Juri had to deal with, both from within hersef and from her relationships with others. And the mind-games D-Reaper played with her... It's a horrible thing to go through depression, and from what I understand suicidal depression is a hundred times worse, or more.

BONUS -- Lemon:
5 Bonus Points; Thanks to this, "Courage" receves a flawless "85" in my score book. Though the Lemon scene is bland by most emotional standards, it reflects well on Juri's state of mind being depressed.

Total: 85/85; 100% -- 84/85 w/out bonus points; Approx. 99%

------------

Quilava Flame Sniper "Ryo Akiyama's Strange Digi-Journey"

Semantics: 10
The story has a good large number of semantic issues from "most good-looking", to the whole issue of jumping in the story's timeline, and a lost of other wording and punctuation errors.

Story: 38
the whole plot of Cyberdramon loving Ryo is a bit common (because it's true; Milleniumon loves Ryo, and is half of Cyberdramon's personality), but Ryo also loving Cyberdramon in return is less common. And though it's quite Plot-device, the "Digimon falling for Ryo" is pulled off reasonably well, though if Ryo is in love, I don't think he'd give so much of himself away to others.

Quality: 8
The story loses quality immediately by addressing the reader at the beginning, but a good portion of the story makes up for it. First person is difficult to write, so credit must be given where due. The story jumps a bit and is difficult to comprehend at points, but it flows well enoguh to get my approval as a good story.

COMMENTS:
A run through humorous tragedy that is about as light-hearted through the beginning as Taming of the Shrew becomes a romantic story where race and gender (or family) don't matter because of the love. Technically, it's not a tragedy in the end because Ryo and Cybie get back together, even after Cybie dies. But I can let it slide, because Cybie does die.

BONUS -- Lemon:
5 Bonus Points; The lemon scene is surprisingly short and lacking in the detail department, but this might be related to being a male author. 61/85 is a good score, even if not great, but points have to be subtracted on the technicality of it not being a proper tragedy.

Total: 61/85; Approx. 72%

------------

Daniel "Get Lost"

Semantics: 13
For the author, the semantics are quite well handled compared to previous works, and it's obvious he's improving his skills and techniques. Thanks go to him for showing me not to rely on every first impression. Mistakes still occur, however, and are still rather common.

Story: 30
A bit PD all the way through, and a classic example of Daniel's work with the very disturbing ending. The rape and fact that it simply ends with Suzie dying tend to make it all the more disturbing to me, but since the protagonist dies, it is a tragedy.

Quality: 7
Well, Daniel has certainly put himself into this work, and so it hurts me to have to penalize him so much here. Because of how PD this story is, I can't really consider it to score high on the quality, because although it's okay, it's not particularly good in any way.

COMMENTS:
Daniel has written another fine story with a tragic ending, involving less than consensual sexual behavior, a 'giant' with a small girl, and the type of disturbing tragedy that marks his conclusions in almost every case.

BONUS -- Lemon:
0 Bonus Points; The lemon scene is far too bland to earn any bonus points, consisting of Apemon wanking, fucking, and finishing without so much as a word of description. This story could have truly benefited from a decent lemon scene, so it's a shame there isn't one.

Total: 50/85; Approx. 59%

------------

AGZ "On the Edge of Silence"

Semantics: 19
Excellent prose and dramatic play in the story, a small amount of typos and semantic issues. An excellent work in technical writing.

Story: 50
An amazingly tragic story of love left silent, of the love between close friends. And the perversion of that love by a dark force, seeking to destroy. Jeri being a D-Reaper Agent is not a surprise, however, as it could have been, but the feeling is that it was not meant to be a surprise to the reader.

Quality: 15
It flows well, the dramatic tool of beginnign and end is cycled throughout the story, and the characters (knowing that we're dealing the Juri-Type ADR) are portrayed very well even in relation to the series.

COMMENTS:
A beautifully tragic story, this one actually ties Lord Archive's "Courage", before "Courage"'s Lemon Bonus calculates, at least. I was as touched by this story as I was by "Courage", and so this, and "Courage", are the co-winners.

BONUS -- Lemon: NA
0 Bonus Points; This story does not contain a lemon scene and is best left without it. The story is touching and horrifying, and touches all the emotions I'm trying to keep inside of me right now. On an overall scale, this story should be the winner, I think, even against Lord Archive's "Courage".

Total: 84/85; Approx. 99%

------

I wish my other judges had graded the fics and gotten back to me, but they didn't. I would like to give credit to everyone who entered this contest, because tragedies are not an easy thing to do well. They are not popular because people dislike "sad" endings, but right now, I want to thank all of you for these entries.

Especially, however, I want to thank AGZ and Lord archive, because your stories have gotten to me in a way that no other story I have ever read around here has, it has made me confront myself with the present emotions it stirred. I would like both of you, to be judges on the December Contest, if you are willing and able to do so.

Again, I apologize for the lateness of these results. Every story was difficult for me when I read them for the final judging, and when I went back to compare Edge of Silence and Courage they both hit me hard.
Wow. A tie. How...unexpected. O_O

Wait...I tied with *Lord Archive*? O_O

I think I'll just sit here and open and close my mouth mindlessly for a few minutes.

:o Wink :o :o Wink :o Wink :o

And Kharon: I'll take you up on being a judge.

agz, Wink :o