Join our server on Discord

New Fantasy RP
He's back! *annoying birthday party noisemakers noises* welcome! We saved a cookie orgy for you! (rofl)
But seriously, hope you're feeling better... Cause if not we got some work to do cheerin you up *^_^*
So, lets see, dystopia, ahem (following are a list of movie titles and why their societies were dystopias):

Bladerunner: society i's divided into two types of people: humans and androids. Androids are basically used as slave workers for the humans, working in areas either too dangerous or tedious for humans. These beings are looked down on by most of human society, and are shunned all together in some places. But androids are being built with increasingly human traits, and a few are being given memory abilities, etc almost identical to humans. This creates social issues within the society. Etc etc.

(can't remember movie title): most of society has come to use a system called "precrime": in this system, empaths - psychics who can see/feel the future through people's emotions - (created accidentally in lab experiments) are used to detect when murders are to occur, so that police operatives can intercept the occurrences before they happen. This system i's accurate up to a week for planned murders, and up to an hour for "crimes of passion". The people who were about to commit the murder are still tried and arrested as if they had committed the murder, even though they did not technically kill anybody. The empaths are very much human, and very much alive, and have to be witness to everything, both good and bad, in the world. On a separate note, eye scans are used everywhere for everything: personalized advertising, purchasing, etc.

Those are some of the better ones I can think of. I got more, but, well, I didn't exactly see the entire movies of all of them... Blush

Edit: thought of some more from books:

The giver: in this society, one of the main aspects i's that everyone has very distinct roles. You are constantly watched from birth onward, and you are given a job that they feel best suits you. This system i's actually pretty accurate in virtually all cases. Another thing about this society i's that they have attempted to remove all prejudices, etc. To accomplish this, two things have occured: first, almost nobody has colour vision and/or can hear music (save a select few who are born with this now unique ability); second, a very special job i's given to those with the ability to see colour/hear music: they are charged with carrying all of the memories of all of human history, then they must pass them on to the next person who i's charged with this job, and so on. Finally, use of hormone surpressants i's encouraged after puberty (to supress "stirrings"). There's more, but I think those are the basics for the dytopian side.

Can't remember the title, I think it's something like "pretty" or other: society i's separated into two halves, "pretties" and "uglies". Those younger than 16 are called "uglies" (they arent necessarily "ugly" so much as "imperfect"; there vasically normal as we know it now), and they, along with their parents, live on one side of a city. However, when you turn 16, you get an opperation to make you "pretty" -- that i's, you are given the aspects that biologically appeal to the primal instincts and generate the concept of being "pretty". When you turn 16 and have this opperation, you get to move to the other side of the city, wherein it's pretty much party central 24/7. So there's all this pressure created to get the pretty operation (which, for the most part, i's technically "voluntary"). There's a catch though: the anestesia used for the operation has a nasty side affect of creating tumours/legions on the person's brain, changing the way they think and act completely (and very consistently in the same fashion); they become unable to feel anger or hate or rage towards anybody (which i's why there aren't any wars anymore). There i's a way to reverse the legions (all of the higher ups in society have it done so that they can think clearly and effectively) so the government or whatever knows all about it. But there are places outside of these societies where people escape to to be a part of nature and not have to be a part of society. Etc etc
The most dangerous phrase ever uttered in all of minecraftia: "/give honeydew 46 64"

Imaginato disciplinis cognoscere modum; sciam quid et ingenii?
My learning and imagination know no bounds; why should my knowledge and abilities?

[Image: scorpiomoon.jpg]
Alchemy: [from the Moon to] Scorpio to man to eagle to the phoenix (female) [to the sun] back to Her consciousness outside the box she created.
Renamon's Army
The Sabre Clan
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
Lady Devimon's Minions
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
(06-01-2011 01:21 PM)johnalt Wrote: (can't remember movie title): most of society has come to use a system called "precrime": in this system, empaths - psychics who can see/feel the future through people's emotions - (created accidentally in lab experiments) are used to detect when murders are to occur, so that police operatives can intercept the occurrences before they happen. This system i's accurate up to a week for planned murders, and up to an hour for "crimes of passion". The people who were about to commit the murder are still tried and arrested as if they had committed the murder, even though they did not technically kill anybody. The empaths are very much human, and very much alive, and have to be witness to everything, both good and bad, in the world. On a separate note, eye scans are used everywhere for everything: personalized advertising, purchasing, etc.
That would be Minority Report, and I believe it showed that, while in some cases the system could prevent crime, in the main character's case, it actively caused the crime it was meant to prevent.
"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hillfolk and were never seen again, it was the best day ever."
I missed the second and last 30 mins of that movie... I just got the basic beginning and the part where he's on the run...
The most dangerous phrase ever uttered in all of minecraftia: "/give honeydew 46 64"

My learning and imagination know no bounds; why should my knowledge and abilities?

Alchemy: [from the Moon to] Scorpio to man to eagle to the phoenix (female) [to the sun] back to Her consciousness outside the box she created.
Renamon's Army
The Sabre Clan
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
Lady Devimon's Minions
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
(ok, right up front, ik you hate double posting, but I checked, and technically, as it isn't spam, and it's been much greater than 48 hours, I'm technically in the clear :P)

Heeey, how's it goin? Just thought of another book to rip o- I mean another idea for a dystopia! ^^; this book I came across I find really interesting; it's a little old (I think from like the seventies or something) but it sounds really really cool. It's called "Hellstrom's Hive" by Frank Herbert (the dude who wrote the "Dune" books, also good ones to rip off- mean steal ideas from- I mean "borrow concepts off of" ^_^; ). Its about like insect-humans or something. It's really awesome, you should totally check it out ^_^.

Edit: some links for more specific ideas:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellstrom's_Hive
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/AuthorSpec...?BkNum=103
http://us.macmillan.com/hellstromshive

Happy dystopias! lol

Edit2: ok last addition then I promise I'll stop. This i's taken word for word from the back of the book:
The hellish
hive in Oregon
The time: The 1970's, Police State, U.S.A.

The all-powerful secret government agency want Dr. Hellstrom's Project 40. But it also knew that Hellstrom was dangerous. Any move to investigate his hidden farm must be very carefully made.
A team of operatives was sent to invade a world of insect-humans more fearful than even the agency's chief suspected. A world where specially-bred scientists with huge heads and stunted legs developed weapons that hummed with insect venom...chemically neutered workers with a sting that could poison the entire world...hidden tunnels immune to atomic fission...hormones for hyped-up sex orgies...and the vats in which everyone finally ended to nourish future generations of human insects.
Hellstrom's Hive
by Frank Herbert
[/size]

Renamon's Army
The Sabre Clan
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
Lady Devimon's Minions
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz