Join our server on Discord

Does music inspire your stories?
Nate Hunter Wrote:Definitely. My latest big project, "Digimon: Through the Looking Glass" starts by the power of music -- namely a popular song which hadn't been recorded at the time the story takes place. Taichi wakes up to HIKARI, the theme from Kingdom Hearts (sung by Hikaru Utada, who has a beautiful voice). Genki's evolution is driven by a three of pieces, Run Around (Season 2 Dub), Bohemian Rhapsody, and Nobuo Uematsu's "Other World" (Zanarkand Blitz Theme from FFX), reflecting the mood during various parts of the scene in which Genki tries to lead Kabuterimon in a chase (Run Around), turns to find Kabuterimon still attacking Yamato (Bohemian Rhapsody, the beginning of the song), to his rage-filled assault of Kabuterimoon (Other World), then the end (Bohemian Rhapsody again).

I can, given the right song, write almost any mood or setting. I use a variety of music, mostly Japanese stuff and old school rock and roll, but some other stuff as well. My selection helps me when I get a little blocked up on my ideas or even just scenes.

I find this quite interesting, because I've started writing a series that involves links to music files in the storyline as well (ah the power of writing in .htm files).

This series is actually more like a "Season 1 Continued" thing where, assuming 02 with Davis etc never happened, the original 8 kids are forced back into battle with with the reborn evil forces in the Digital World.

I must admit I didn't think of the music idea on my own, I've read another amazing fic for another series where the author used this method which I found quite powerful. I'm planning on posting maybe a third of chapter 1 here so I can hook some people into waiting for it because I think it's going to be great.

This should be a good sign since I normally think my writing is horrible, but I've got this entire series (easily enough if written into 30 minute episodes to fill a season, I am an avid Digimon Season 1 fanatic) pre-planned.

I got off topic there yes, but I believe that music is a powerful thing when used with writing. Music makes or breaks the mood for written work I've realized lately. I love the music in Season 1, and some of Season 2 which I'm going to incorporate into the series I'm writing at the correct times.

That being said, if someone could just point me to a nice collection of Digimon Season 1 music I'd be appreciative as I only currently have the Opening theme.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Daemon - 05-11-2004, 07:11 AM
[No subject] - by Wisemon - 05-11-2004, 03:30 PM
[No subject] - by Red Mage Dragon Tiamat - 05-11-2004, 09:49 PM
[No subject] - by FinalEnix - 05-11-2004, 11:27 PM
[No subject] - by UnknownH - 05-12-2004, 02:25 PM
[No subject] - by _agz_ - 05-22-2004, 12:57 AM
[No subject] - by Wisemon - 05-22-2004, 03:19 PM
[No subject] - by Shadowshard - 05-22-2004, 05:21 PM
[No subject] - by Reaper T Bone - 06-16-2004, 02:35 PM
[No subject] - by Wisemon - 06-16-2004, 03:02 PM
[No subject] - by Stormy  Wizard - 06-16-2004, 03:31 PM