Digiartists' Domain Community!
Does music inspire your stories? - Printable Version

+- Digiartists' Domain Community! (https://digiartistsdomain.org/phpboard)
+-- Forum: Author's Den (https://digiartistsdomain.org/phpboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Forum: The Author's Domain (https://digiartistsdomain.org/phpboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Does music inspire your stories? (/showthread.php?tid=3196)

Pages: 1 2

Does music inspire your stories? - Stormy  Wizard - 05-11-2004

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there that uses music to help with their writing. I use it all the time, I particularly find Final Fantasy music to be most effective because it always relates to the storyline, and because Nobuo Uematsu is a genius.

For example, by listening to 'Feel My Blade' (ff9) it's possible to write something about a fancy play, or listening to one of the final boss battles, it's possible to write about the final boss or something in a story.

So, do you write a story driven by the power of melody?

- Daemon - 05-11-2004

Although I've never actually finished anything I've written, yes. Music definately helps with the creative process. It sets your mind into the tone of the sound.

Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda are my favorite composers. Both have made songs for almost any mood.

Re: Does music inspire your stories? - Nate Hunter - 05-11-2004

Stormywiz Wrote:I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there that uses music to help with their writing. I use it all the time ... So, do you write a story driven by the power of melody?

Definitely. My latest big project, "Digimon: Through the Looking Glass" starts by the power of music -- namely a popular song which hadn't been recorded at the time the story takes place. Taichi wakes up to HIKARI, the theme from Kingdom Hearts (sung by Hikaru Utada, who has a beautiful voice). Genki's evolution is driven by a three of pieces, Run Around (Season 2 Dub), Bohemian Rhapsody, and Nobuo Uematsu's "Other World" (Zanarkand Blitz Theme from FFX), reflecting the mood during various parts of the scene in which Genki tries to lead Kabuterimon in a chase (Run Around), turns to find Kabuterimon still attacking Yamato (Bohemian Rhapsody, the beginning of the song), to his rage-filled assault of Kabuterimoon (Other World), then the end (Bohemian Rhapsody again).

I can, given the right song, write almost any mood or setting. I use a variety of music, mostly Japanese stuff and old school rock and roll, but some other stuff as well. My selection helps me when I get a little blocked up on my ideas or even just scenes.

- Wisemon - 05-11-2004

My entire series has its tone set by alternative rock.

- Red Mage Dragon Tiamat - 05-11-2004

I am listening to Nightwish and Within Temptation while writing. Sometimes I use Final Fantasy music too for inspiration.

- FinalEnix - 05-11-2004

I juse;
Ome Henk- more than one song or story;
Napoleon- they canne take me away;
ghost riders in the sky;
de apres skihut;
Danny elfman- whats this.

- UnknownH - 05-12-2004

I was going to say that I saw that wise uses music for all of his fics
I don't write though so this is irrelevant

- _agz_ - 05-22-2004

Music always inspires my writing. I even put lyrics to songs that are relevant to the story at the end of the document. ^^;;; And I named the three parts of my huge-ass Tai/Kari story after White Stripes songs. I'm always listening to music while I right, and sometimes stuff influences me. I usually listen to:

White Stripes
Alien Ant Farm
Tool
Linkin Park
The Offspring

...that's really a weird mix. O_O;;;

agz

- Wisemon - 05-22-2004

Actually, certain songs by The Offspring have Linkin Park-esque lyrics. "Amazed", "Get It Right", "Kick Him When He's Down", "Vultures", and "Race Against Myself" are good examples, and awesome songs. Oh, and "Gotta Get Away" is awfully close to "Papercut".

- Shadowshard - 05-22-2004

Indeed, music inspires me to write. And to do other stuff, such as my schoolwork. Maybe I should listen to it more often -.-

What help me is a mixture of classical and various techno.

.....wow. No wonder I get such crazy ideas for my stories!