Join our server on Discord

E3 2010
I can't believe you guys aren't talking about this already. :P

Well, the big three companies have posted their upcoming games and gadgets, and I have to say that I'm really disappointed in Sony and Microsoft.

Microsoft: Heyyyy kids! Want to flail your arms like a sugar crazed jackass without the "burden" of a controller? Then buy the Kinect, a name our marketers guarantee is void of all imagination and wit, but has plenty of poor literacy. Oh, and more Gears of War and Halo. What, did you expect something new and original?

Sony: :P Silly Microsoft, at least when we ripoff the Wii, we have give our customer a real controller, and only for a third of the price of your Kinect. (Eye camera and spare controllers sold separately for $50 each. XD) Oh, and maybe, just maybe, we'll really release Gran Turismo 5 this time. Who knows? lol Oh, and FYI, here's the PSN Plus! That means you have to pay online gaming now. Yay capitalism!

(In fairness though, at least a new Twisted Metal is interesting.)

Nintendo: Huh, that's what you guys were busy with? You do know that this conference is for NEW things, right? The Nintendo 3DS is nearly as powerful as the Wii, doesn't require glasses for 3D, has a 3D camera, motion sensor, and has video playback. Did we mention all the games that we and several third parties are making for the system? Hell, we're on the verge of making Kid Icarus actually fun for a change! And for the Wii, we have new Zelda, new Kirby, new Goldeneye, new Donkey Kong Country and new Metroid. (Heheh, they forgot all about that crappy Vitality Sensor from last year after that lineup.)

Alright though, seriously, that's what I saw looking at all three of these companies. Nintendo is making all of these promising games, while Microsoft and Sony are ripping off the motion control gimmick instead of focusing more of their efforts on making fun games. I realize that motion controls with better graphics does open up some possibilities, but it still seems lame.

Oh well, at least third parties are looking to release some cool stuff on the PS3/360 like that multiplayer Castlevania game from Konami.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
Let me say this from the start: I am a Nintendo person. And so, here's my sarcastic links.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/6/16/

http://users.skynet.be/fa036594/FACT_E3_...es_3DS.pdf
List of games for the 3DS.

And I'm gone. Not smirking for once.
Gotta hand it to Nintendo for pulling through with the 3Ds and new games this year. I honestly wasn't expecting a new Zelda or goldeneye. That said I don't think Sony's conference was that bad Twisted metal was fantastic. The fact that dead space 2 includes extraction and Medal of Honor includes frontlines. Also sly cooper. Is getting his own collection. These were all announcements that I cared about. Really don't care much for 3D or motion controllers for that matter.

Watching microsoft on the other hand was completely boring aside from the MGS Rising footage that lasted all of 30 seconds.
Gabumon Loverz
Veemon's Followers
Renamon's Army
Was it only me and a few others who noticed Sony took inspiration from the "I Love War" speech from Hellsing OVA and changed it into a gaming sense?
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
Sony and Microsoft might not have had a huge line-up of crap to show, but at least I didn't want to punch them in the throat every time they announced something.

I must say, that dead horse that Nintendo continues to beat every single year must be almost mush by now. Here are my responses to a few things in the Nintendo line-up:

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Wow, Nintendo, you really pulled out all the stops for this. ANOTHER Zelda game. Oh, but now your sword follows the Wiimote and your nunchuck controls the shield. Woop-dee-freaking-doo.

Wii Party - It looks exactly like Mario Party only without Mario, and those games stopped being interesting 15 games ago even WITH Mario. Hopefully the game isn't online, or you'll end up playing mini-games with a bunch of Mii-Hitlers.

Mario Sports Mix - You can play Volleyball now! Yeah, that doesn't really interest me. No thanks.

Kirby's Epic Yarn - Eat shit and die, Nintendo. Kirby swallows enemies and copies their powers, THAT IS HIS DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC. That is what he did in the original NES game, that is what he did in the N64 game, that is what he did in Smash Brothers, that is what he did in the anime. Kirby isn't YARN, and the person who came up with that needs to be slapped. How hard could it be to make a classic 2.5D side-scroller? I don't see you making Donkey Kong into yarn, so why Kirby?

Donkey Kong Country - I'll admit that it could be pretty cool, but only because there hasn't been a decent Donkey Kong country for a while.

New Goldeneye - another year, another remake. "Okay, so GoldenEye was a pretty awesome game, but how could we make it better?" "How about we give it to another developer, put it on the Wii, and make the graphics look as shitty as they did on the N64?" "Perfect!" Seriously, the graphics in that demo looked AWFUL. I look forward to see how they can screw up a classic game.

Metroid: Other M - I don't really understand the name, but besides that I can't really say anything about it. The gamecube games were pretty good, and the Wii one was okay, so this one could turn out okay.

That Kid Icarus thing - Didn't play the NES game, don't understand why people wanted a new one, but at least it's going to be a NEW game instead of another cookie-cutter sequel.

The 3DS - Anything I could say about this would be pure speculation, but I'll give my thoughts anyway. People need to understand that Nintendo is not a technological powerhouse, and the 3DS isn't going to be some huge leap in 3D technology. What I assume they did was instead of giving you glasses and having the film or material or whatever in front of your eyes to give the illusion of 3D, they probably replaced the top screen with the same material. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I have to assume the 3D effect will suffer a bit because the screen is too small to give that "Holy shit it's coming right at me" feeling.

As you can probably tell, Nintendo didn't impress me. Sony and Microsoft didn't really impress me either, but at least they intrigued me.

Sony intrigues me the most, and I'm not even a Sony fan. They have the best hardware, and they have the best of both worlds because they're usually controllers AND a camera. Maybe they can do some good with a motion controller. The Wii's motion control is so awful to the point that it's BARELY motion controlled at all. All you do is point at the screen and flick your wrist, and even that doesn't work half the time. Sony has the hardware and caters enough to the non-casual crowd that they could make something that's actually cool and not a gimmicky, over-rated piece of shit.

Seriously, Nintendo; Do something interesting. I was a fan right up until the Wii, and you're not doing a whole lot to win me back.

This is mostly opinion by the way, but I still expect people to bite my face off when they read this. I regret nothing!
In soviet goggles, Russia does nothing.
I personally liked Gears Of War 3, Call Of Duty : Black Ops and Dragonball Raging Blast 2.

I have to admit, Microsoft was pretty weak this time. Not as good as they have done previously. And the Nintendo 3DS looks pretty good. PSN Plus is total BS. The New Xbox, Hm. Slimmer, You cant move it at all and it comes with all the things you need ''Just £300!'' They copied Sony. And they failed. Spec Ops. :O! It made me almost cream my pants. It looks amazing!
To be fair, Nintendo's conference last year was terribad. Expecting all three developers to have golden content at the same time is an expectation just asking to be let down.
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

Eh, I was just annoyed with Sony and Microsoft going with the whole motion control thing, especially Microsoft who seems intent on copying Nintendo's casual games and advertising. I wouldn't have minded so much if those two showed off more games, but a big part of their whole presentation seemed to just about the motion controls. A problem that I do see with all three of the big companies is "Sequelitus". How many original IPs have we seen this year from any of the publishers compared to the number of sequels?

(06-18-2010 02:05 AM)Asesino Wrote: Sony and Microsoft might not have had a huge line-up of crap to show, but at least I didn't want to punch them in the throat every time they announced something.

I must say, that dead horse that Nintendo continues to beat every single year must be almost mush by now. Here are my responses to a few things in the Nintendo line-up:

Sony intrigues me the most, and I'm not even a Sony fan. They have the best hardware, and they have the best of both worlds because they're usually controllers AND a camera. Maybe they can do some good with a motion controller. The Wii's motion control is so awful to the point that it's BARELY motion controlled at all. All you do is point at the screen and flick your wrist, and even that doesn't work half the time. Sony has the hardware and caters enough to the non-casual crowd that they could make something that's actually cool and not a gimmicky, over-rated piece of shit.

Seriously, Nintendo; Do something interesting. I was a fan right up until the Wii, and you're not doing a whole lot to win me back.

This is mostly opinion by the way, but I still expect people to bite my face off when they read this. I regret nothing!

Nah, I don't bite. :P What I said was mostly opinion as well.

I'm a big Nintendo fan, but I also own a XBOX 360 so I'd like for all three companies to do well and show off some great stuff. However, Microsoft and Sony just struck me as two companies showing up about three years late to the motion control party and with little else to show. Halo is fine and all, but I can thing of several other FPSes that are more vibrant and fun than this series. GoW3 is something I do look forward too since it is a lot of fun, but it is a very shallow game character and story-wise. I don't really play Call of Duty, so I'm not going to comment on that. Kinect, besides the lousy name, just seems bizarre. What the hell is wrong with a controller? We use them for our TVs. They aren't that complicated.

On Sony's side, Gran Turismo 5 looks good, but it's been delayed so long that I couldn't help making a joke about it. I'm a bit annoyed that they're still going with the Twisted Metal Black approach to that franchise. I preferred the Twisted Metal 2 look with awesome rock music and the slight humorous slant to all the mayhem. Regardless though, I'm sure it will be a fun game for those fortunate to have a PS3. I can't really comment on Sly Cooper. I got 100% on the first game and liked it, but I never played the other two games they released. As for the Playstation Move, it's copycatting Nintendo's design. Sure, it's better than the basic Wii controller, but with the Motion Plus, aren't the two about even in regards to motion recognition?

Hmmm, and I'm willing to agree with you, Asesino, that it's lame that Nintendo isn't putting more effort into new, original IP, but a lot of the industry is mired in relying on sequels or remakes. Anyways, a few response to what you said about the games.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Isn't it a little early to say it's going to be boring? I don't see any tedious sea to sail and it's doesn't look brown like Twilight Princess did.

Wii Party - Yeah, this was Nintendo's shout-out to more casual fans. Or maybe they got tired of paying Hudson for making Mario Party games. Who knows?

Mario Sports Mix - Yup, not interested. I don't play sport games, though Nintendo seems determined to have Mario play every type of sport out there. I'm still half-expecting to see Mario Hockey and Mario American Football one of these days. XP

Kirby's Epic Yarn: I'm pretty sure he wasn't able to absorb powers from enemies in his debut Game Boy game. In any case, at least they're trying to do things a little differently this time around. Don't know what to say about the art. I think it's alright, but I can see how people would be off put by this. There are some out there who despised the art directions for games such as Yoshi's Island and LoZ: Wind Waker.

Donkey Kong Country: As long as it's not a Collect-a-thon like Donkey Kong 64, I'm sure it will be fine. Retro Studios did great on the Metroid Prime games. It's nice to see them stretching their talents into a different kind of game.

New Goldeneye: I'll admit, I'm wary of products linked to Activision. There's time between now and the release date for them to improve the graphics, but honestly, I would have preferred for them to just make a good, new Bond game. The original Goldeneye was superb because it outdid most console FPSes at the time and had an excellent array of multiplayer options. With this game, I have trouble seeing it compete with all the other FPSes in the market today. Well, if it ends up not looking all brown, I suppose it will at least have one advantage.

Metroid: Other M: Yeah, the name seems stupid, but the mix of 2.5D and 3D sections, and a little more emphasis on story looks promising. Hopefully, this will shut some more people up about there not being any mature games on the system.

Kid Icarus: The NES game was not very fun and at times seemed like a lame version of Metroid. Nintendo has learned a lot since those times though, so maybe this game will actually be good.

The 3DS: Well, Sony may counter with a new handheld, who knows? The system looks promising based on the demos they've shown off and they seem to have a healthy amount of third parties interested in developing for the platform. I kind of see 3D being another one of those annoying gimmicks that won't be going away any time soon, but at least Nintendo is giving us the option to turn off the 3D on the system so it's not all bad. It looks like it will be a powerful little machine though and should have a fair amount of storage space if those reports about storing whole DS games on the system are accurate.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
Quote:The 3DS: Well, Sony may counter with a new handheld, who knows? The system looks promising based on the demos they've shown off and they seem to have a healthy amount of third parties interested in developing for the platform.

I've heard that there MIGHT be a Metal Gear Solid 3 remake for that. I don't know if that's true, but it'd be interesting to see
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
(06-17-2010 07:44 PM)Kyosan Wrote: Was it only me and a few others who noticed Sony took inspiration from the "I Love War" speech from Hellsing OVA and changed it into a gaming sense?
So... Sony was talking like Nazis? (appropriate use of Godwin's Law)

(06-18-2010 02:05 AM)Asesino Wrote: This is mostly opinion by the way, but I still expect people to bite my face off when they read this. I regret nothing!
I could say a lot. But, I learned that arguing about things like this is pointless and makes me look bad. And as such, I will say one thing. You must have a different view on what games can be. That is ok if you act normal about it. This sadly, is an issue with the internet. Thanks to work, I learned this.