Join our server on Discord

Began writing again: Death of the Digital World.
I've been playing around with this idea for a while and so far this is the Introduction i have. Please give me your honest opinions and any recommendations would be swell.

Introduction
The Digital Plain is a giant world generated from the exchanged communication of the Internet. Among the many data streams and transfers of information live strange digital organisms called Digimon, a group of creatures that fight each other to the death to expand their living. Data is the one thing that drives them besides the social code of battle, the reason for two digimon to challenge one another...and for one to leave with the other’s data.

Digimon ultimately were generated by humans, who also gave life to the worlds the Digimon thrive in; the humans generated the creatures based on animals that their children created. After their introduction to the digital plain, the Digimon begin breeding with one another and soon Nurseries of children Digimon began cropping up all over the digital world. Digimon could only grow by absorbing data and as children they were fed data packets to grow strong enough to challenge an opponent. Digimon fed off the data of a defeated opponent to grow stronger and social traditions began to become distinct such as the idea that feeding on the data packets was a childish way of gaining strength.

This is where it all began falling to pieces; whilst blissfully unaware of what they had created, humans focused more on fighting each other to the death over petty matters such as land, physical features/preferences and honour. The human race’s children became obsessed with war also, turning their attention away from creation and toward the ‘cool’ side of killing.
Coincidentally Digimon began to adopt these ways themselves, copying their creators despite being innocently unaware of human existence. Resultantly, this has led to the decreasing population, enslavement and even the extinction of many defenceless species of the Digital world by the data-obsessed tyrannical Digimon that strive to be the best. The Nurseries were burned to the ground, the children Digimon were mercilessly slaughtered and their carers met a similar fate.
With no human children to replenish the world with new Digimon species, hope for a civilised and sustainable existence seemed dire.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
I think the word you're looking for to describe an alternate dimension is "Plane". Plain sounds like you were approaching to describe the relieve of some landscape instead of describing a different world as a whole unique extrapolation.

"to expand their living" sounds sort of off to me. I'd replace it with something more formal like: "to increase their life expectancy.", since you're talking about it as if it was some sort of documentary.

Quote:After their introduction to the digital plain, the Digimon begin breeding with one another and soon Nurseries of children Digimon began cropping up all over the digital world.

Woah woah woah. Wait a sec. Choose one tense to narrate in and stay with it, jumping from one tense to another can lead to a reader's premature disorientation, you can easily change from past to present, but not backwards, and much less so spontaneously.

"began to become" sounds kind of odd to me. Might wanna switch either of those words for a synonim, like "started" for "began" or "turn into" for "become".

Quote:Coincidentally Digimon began to adopt these ways themselves, copying their creators despite being innocently unaware of human existence.

Coincidences are said to have had no cause, only an effect. If Digimon are 'copying' their creators (Even if unaware), then they are the reason of their new behavior. Your sentence sounds highly contradictive as a result. I think the word you should've used at the beggining (And as a link to the above paragraph) shoulda been: "Consequently".

Quote:Resultantly, this has led to the decreasing population

We don't know and you haven't mentioned anything about a decreasing population in the entire narration (The title doesn't count). Therefore, using a definate article will annihilate your chances to captivate a reader's attention. You should remove "the" and replace it for an "a", as it's an indefinate article suited to a sentence speaking about a new or "unexpected" event.

Quote:The Nurseries were burned to the ground, the children Digimon were mercilessly slaughtered and their carers met a similar fate.

...And? Similar in what way? They were killed too? Used as batteries? Smashed and made into egg omelletes? You describe slaughter in the preceding sentence and you seem to want to finish making the point things are currently being horrible, but why did you end it so abruptly to switch onto a new paragraph? "...met a similar fate."

Hmm, other than all that above it was a pretty narration.

Onto plot analysis though, let's see... First two paragraphs is you reiterating what any basic digimon fan knows. Just having watched a few episodes of Digimon Tamers would give anyone enough basis to understand it.

Now, third, fourth and fifth paragraph. You twisted the normal thread of Digimon franchise and went for your own alternate universe, that's cool. You made humans warring assholes, also cool, kind of realist. Children became miniature and a physically weaker adults, kind of far fetched, but with a bit more of tweaking for their standard psychological revamp, it could work.

Digimon went to war because humans did. That's a nice cause & effect conflict to set the story on.

It's not a bad setting, but not good either. Probably because you just focused on things getting burned to ashes because humans went to war instead of focusing on a more in-depth cause.
Then again, this is just an introduction.

Is this going to be a fan-fiction or a RPG?
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Thanks for helping with my spelling DMX, I have a tendency to mis-spell words. I wrote this rather rapidly so it needed a fair bit of mopping up to do.

"In a similar way" was kind of a lazy way to conclude that paragraph i'll admit, but I wasn't sure of my audience so I avoided going with an all out gore-fest of detail on what they did to the carers.

My idea for the plot was not exactly about children being miniature adults, it was sort of looking at the world around myself and relating this world to the digital world. I mean, how many children can you honestly say still care about Digimon? They're all interested in the newer things these days like Ben 10 and Yugioh etc, and the ones that were interested in Digimon have moved onto more "adult" things like reality TV, News, Horror movies, comedy shows etc.
The way I see it, Digimon fight because they inherited their nature from us, dispite never actually knowing we created them, because it was children that designed them in the first place, whereas the adults simply built them, and the children essentially put their own personality, their own self into these Digimon. That is why you find some that fight, and some that simply want to follow a role. Take for example Takato from season 3, you can see alot of his personality within his created partner, Guilmon. Also note Alice, the girl from the same season; both she and Dobermon are similar so there is a chance, seeing as she is one of the Monster Maker's children, that she created Dobermon.

Because they have our nature, I believe they are capable of doing things we are able to do, such as hunting defenseless Digimon to extinction for their data, as we did with many animals for the food or other petty reasons.
This is what leads to the extinction of many species of Digimon in the Digital World and because the children of the human world are too busy with newer toys or getting into more mature interests, there is noone to replace the lost Digimon.

I'm thinking, if i continue this, of having a group of digidestined discovering this catastrophe and learning of a league of powerful digimon that have gained so much power from data, they have become lazy and corrupt rulers of sections of the Digital World.
The digidestined decide they would beat the league by using their creative nature in coordination with the digignomes to create new species of Digimon to fight the tyrants and during the assault, and the digidestined and their partners finish them off or something.

I dunno though, this was just a means of getting back into writing and as i say, it was rushed so I haven't quite got it all collectively sorted...it's like the ideas are swirling around in my head and I haven't the net to catch them all. It is probably going to end up just as a fanfiction if i was going to continue it, because I'm not great at RPGs.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds