Join our server on Discord

The Flame of Youth - Part 4 Added!
Hey guys,

This is a bit of my “new, original, non-fan fic story”. If you read my “Furry Universe History” thread, you should have an overview of the alternate history in this world. If you haven’t read said thread, I suggest you do that now.

I can wait. *hums while uninformed readers catch themselves up*

Ok, you good? You sure? Alrighty then.

Some of you might recognize the name of the main dude. It’s the same name as in my lemon, “Dua’s Lemon”. Sue me; I like the name and appearance. It fits. So now I think I should stop talking/typing to you and I should introduce the fic.

So here we go.

Thanks to Gulimon and a Shotgun for the amazing title!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1 – Introductions

Adam awoke. Before he could open his eyes, his nose was assaulted by the various stenches that filled his apartment. His eyes, still closed, watered at the realization of the odor. He opened his eyes and placed his hand over his mouth, suppressing a yawn. He looked around; picking the sources of the foul smell that flooded his nostrils. He spotted the huge pile of dirty clothes, under which was buried a laundry hamper. He also picked out the small buckets of fuel in the corner, ready to soak his fire poi to light-able perfection. He stood and walked over to the pots of flammable liquid, their scent increasing as he approached. He opened a few windows to prevent the fumes from filling his apartment. The last thing he needed was a static shock from a light switch causing a fireball.

As the noxious gases vented from the room, Adam looked up at the clock. The small circle on the wall informed him that he needn’t be at the studio for another three hours. Deciding that it was time to clean both himself and his abode, Adam walked off to the shower. He abandoned his pajama pants as he walked, tripping slightly as his feet and tail refused to exit the cloth. He turned on the stereo, turning it up as loud as possible, and walked the rest of the way naked, thinking about his future. He stopped about ten feet from the bathroom.

“If I ever have a room mate I won’t be able to do this,” he said, recognizing his nudity. He shrugged the thought off and continued to the bathroom. He left the door open, a habit of living alone. The water began to poor from the shower head, starting out hot, but fading to lukewarm within seconds. Adam stepped in and soaked his head, his sensitive ears flicking about as drops of water collided with them. He poured shampoo over his head, causing his ears to instinctively flatten themselves against his head. He hummed as he removed the scum from his hair. He finished rinsing his head and went to clean his tail. Once his body was clean, he stepped out of the shower, refreshed and awake. He dried himself with the old, flat towel that he used for himself. He possessed nicer towel sets, but he saved them for the rare occasion that he had company. The Half-breed feline began to dig through the cupboard under the sink for his hair drier. He found the device and plugged it in. Once he had retrieved his comb and hair straightener, he began to dry his hair.

Twenty minutes later, Adam emerged from the bathroom, groomed and clean. He located a pair of boxers and his favorite pants. Once his pants here on and comfortably adjusted, he began to pick up the various pieces of trash that littered his living space. Two and a half hours of cleaning and laundry later, he was walking out the door, backpack and sweater in hand. He walked down the stairs to the ground floor and exited the building. He put on his shirt and jogged for about a mile until he reached a small building with a sign out front that read: Nick’s Fire Dancing and Yoga. He opened the door, hitting the small bell inside as he did.

“Your five minutes late,” came a voice from the supply room in the back.

“I know,” Adam responded, removing his sweater and backpack, “I had to clean my place.”

A human male walked out from the small room, wearing clothes very similar to Adam’s.

“Well, you only have an hour until your new class gets here,” Nick said, stepping behind a small desk.

“I have a new class?” Adam asked, picking something out of his teeth.

“Now you do,”

Adam yawned, still tired from his cleaning tangent. He walked to the front of the class. He was the assistant instructor at the studio, and enjoyed his job. He got paid to stand in front of a bunch of strangers and teach them how to spin poi for three hours. He took out a pair and began to play. He played for about fifteen minutes before he was joined by Nick. The human was better at the dance, but Adam’s skills were closing in on his instructor’s. After an hour of playing, dancing and laughing the first of the new students began to trickle in, enrolment checks in hand. They stood awkwardly in the waiting area, looking at the eccentric decorations that covered the walls. The studio walls proudly wore everything from movie posters to renaissance paintings to pictures of other classes. Soon, the waiting area was filled with twenty people. Adam walked over to the desk in front of the waiting area. He reached beneath the table top and removed a box.

“Everybody put your checks on the counter and take two poi of different colors from this box,” he said, opening the box. The crowd followed Adam’s instructions, and then crowded into the main practice area. Nick organized the people into a phalanx while Adam locked the checks in a safe box. Once the students were ready and their money safe, Adam approached the front of the class.

“Alright, Ladies and gentlemen,” Adam said, drawing the attention of his class, “Welcome to our beginners class. My name is Adam and I am the assistant instructor here at the studio and I will be teaching this class. I will now give a short demonstration.”

Nick turned off the lights and handed Adam a pair of hard plastic poi with slots cut in the sides. Adam flicked a switch on each poi, turning on LEDs in each of them. The slots cut in the side gave the light a beam-like effect. He spun them around, weaving a web of light about himself. He continued to dance for about five minutes, careful not to hit himself. When the lights were turned back on, Adam saw the faces of his students. Most of them were smiling in amazement at the sight of the act. A short applause erupted from the class, but it was soon silenced by Adam.

“Now I’ve been doing this since I was fourteen,” he said, performing a spiral wrap to finish his routine, “And that gives me five years of experience. So I don’t, and you shouldn’t, expect you guys to be this good. Today we are going to start with the basics, so let’s get going.”

Adam exchanged his rock hard poi for some glowing performance ones and began to teach. These lit up two different colors so his students could clarify between the left and the right. The next two hours were filled with the teaching of “the basics”. Many individuals hit themselves in the head, and, for the less fortunate, in the crotch. Those students with tails often tangled them in their poi. Adam finished teaching them the final basic move, crossing both poi in front of them at the same time, and told them to take a thirty minute practice period. The phalanx of students disintegrated as they moved about and began talking while they played. Adam was re teaching a man how to cross his poi when he noticed a pair of poi consistently spinning in the back of the class. He began to rubberneck while he demonstrated the move he was teaching. He caught a glimpse of the student in the back, but he was unintentionally speeding up his spinning. He lost concentration and hit himself in the back of his head, the speed of his poi knocking him out. He heard a consistent “Ooooh” from the class as he slipped into darkness.

Adam awoke five minutes later, his head throbbing. The class had gathered around him, as well as his instructor.

“What happened?” Nick asked, helping Adam up. The feline began to race through his mind for an excuse.

“That was a demonstration,” he said slowly, “To show that you should always be careful. You can do damage to yourself and your property if you aren’t careful. Were I using harder poi, I could have given myself brain damage.”

The class bought his excuse and returned to their original positions. Adam stood up and began to pace around the class. He soon located the cause of his distraction. The student was a Half-Breed, feline like himself. Her hair on top of her head and her bangs were white, but the rest was a deep color that walked the line between red and brown. Her haircut was short and neat. The fur on her tail was the same deep color with a white tip. She had a small smile as she spun her poi. The two she had chosen matched the stockings she wore; one of the poi was a golden yellow while the other was a dark orange. The stockings were striped by the same colors, and she wore long sleeves, the same pattern, that came up over her shoulders and clasped around the neck and at her sternum. The sleeves were a bit too long, extending over half her hand. The rest of her outfit consisted of short cut jean shorts and a tube top, worn beneath the sleeves.

The two poi seemed to be an extension of her arms as she gracefully performed the basic moves that she had been taught, almost flawlessly. She did not appear to notice Adam watching her, so he smiled and continued to pace through the crowd. When the class ended, Adam invited the class to stay and play as long as they wished. This, of course, was ignored by most of the members. Their impatience caused them to leave, intent on carrying out the rest of their schedule. Nick left to go to lunch with his girlfriend, telling Adam to lock up when he finished. Adam recounted the money they had received before going back into the practice area. He looked up, and, to his surprise, the girl he had seen earlier was still present. She was playing with her back to Adam, still not hitting herself. Adam did notice a small imperfection in her left hands plane control. He decided it was time to speak.

“Nice technique,” he said, casually, putting his hands in his pockets. The silence being broken caused the girl to jump slightly in surprise. She dropped her poi to the floor, where they bounced once then came to a stop. Adam smiled as he walked over to her, untying his own poi from the small ring on his waistband. The girl blushed as her smiling instructor lifted her poi from the ground and handed them back to her.

“What’s your name?” Adam asked as he began to play. The answer was quiet and almost inaudible.

“Hmm?”

“Koneko,” the girl responded for a second time, holding her hands to her chin as she received her poi back. Adam continued to spin casually as he looked at the clock. It was only three in the afternoon.

“Well, Koneko,” he said, twirling his poi behind his head, “I have a proposition for you.”

He spun around to face her and stopped spinning.

“How would you like free poi lessons until you are as good as me and better?”

Koneko smiled gently and nodded. Adam smiled again as a drop of sweat ran down the side of his face.

“I am more then willing to give you these lessons, if you are willing to do something for me. I am an amateur fire dancer who goes from club to club and I need a partner. I don’t have a show for about three months and I think that is plenty of time to teach you how to spin fire. Would you, Koneko, like to be my partner?”

The feline female closed her eyes in thought for well over a minute, then nodded.

“Yes,” she said, smiling at Adam.

“Alright!” Adam said, beginning to play again, “Would you like to start now or later?”

Koneko didn’t answer, instead she began to spin her own poi about. Adam took this as a yes and began to teach.

When Adam finally locked the doors of the studio, it was nine o’clock at night.

“Can I walk you home?” Adam asked, putting the key in his pocket. Koneko, blushed once again and looked down at the ground. She shook her head. Adam’s spirit sank.

“Oh, alright,” he said, turning to walk away. She stopped him before he got far though.

“I would want you to,” she said, still looking at the ground, “But… I don’t have one…”

“What?” Adam asked. He stooped until he was within her gaze. She made eye contact with him and followed as he stood up, until she was looking up at her instructor and new friend, “You don’t have a house?”

She shook her head again, a shamed look on her face. Adam thought for a minute, and then his face lit with an idea.

“Would you like to… uh…” Adam started, his face slowly turning red. He never finished the sentence. Instead, he made a strange gesture that finished his statement for him. She understood his question and reacted, her face filling with joy. She stepped forward and wrapped her slender arms around him in a tight hug. She was five or six inches shorter then he, so the end result was Koneko snuggling into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her in return.

“Thank you,” Koneko said, smiling up at Adam. The male smiled back at her.

“You’re welcome,” he said, “Now we should start walking before we get jumped,”

Koneko laughed quietly and released him. She then followed him to his apartment complex and up to the top floor. He unlocked the door and led her in. He locked the door behind him and turned, expecting to see a look of disappointment on his partners face. Instead, she wore a look of amazement. Adam stood by the door and watched as she admired the bare, red brick walls. She looked at his makeshift TV stand fashioned out of cinder blocks and two by fours and at his glass-top coffee table. She came to a stop at the three large windows that Adam had left open to vent the apartment. She walked up to the middle one and stooped to look under the blinds. She turned.

“May I…?” she asked pointing to the drawstring that controlled the covers. Adam nodded and she pulled the string. The blinds pulled themselves up and revealed the view. Adam had never taken the time to look out the windows, but he decided to now. He stepped up and stood next to her as she looked out. There was an unobstructed view of the city from here. The tallest buildings stretched out of the middle like a citadel. The black outlines of the city met the dark, night sky and the stars seemed to blend with the sparkling city lights. When she had finished with the center window she moved to the right one, Adam following close behind her.

She pulled the blinds on the second window, revealing a completely different sight. The window revealed the mountains to the east and the low lights of the small buildings leading out to them. Car’s moved along the streets, giving life to the scenery. Koneko’s eyes sparkled as she saw the lights of the tramway moving slowly up the mountain to the station at the top. She then dodged around Adam, brushing his tail aside as she did, to the jog to the third window. By the time Adam arrived, she had pulled the blinds away.

The final sight was completely natural, free of all urban development. It was nothing but bare desert, stretching away to meet the horizon, where the remnants of sunset still stood, brightening the dark sky to a pale indigo-blue. The only thing in the expansion of earth they looked upon was low brush which grew spread out over the land. Koneko stood and watched until the sky on the western horizon had shed its trace of light and stood as dark as the rest of the night. The female then stepped back, until she could see all three windows at once, this time though, she didn’t wait for Adam to follow. She pulled Adam back with her.

“It’s beautiful,” she said, never taking her eyes off the view, “I wish I could see this every night.”

“You can,” Adam said, looking down at his friend, “You live here now.”

She hugged him and thanked him again.

“Now, let me show you your new home,” Adam said. He led her around, showing her the master bedroom, the kitchen and the closet. He finally stopped at the bathroom.

“This is the bathroom,” he said, opening the door, “You can shower in the morning if you want.

She turned to look at him and leaned against the doorframe.

“Can I shower now?” she asked, looking up at him with large eyes.

“Of course,” Adam said, “Hang on a sec and I’ll get you a towel and washcloth.”

Adam turned and walked away. Koneko rocked on her feet while she waited, looking around. Adam soon returned with a set of soft, yellow towels and a fresh bar of soap. He handed them to her smiled.

“Enjoy!” he said, before going out into the living room. Koneko heard the TV turn on and she decided to start. She stepped inside and set the towels down on the counter. She locked the door and began to undress. She unclasped her sleeves and removed them along with her top. She took off her stockings and shorts, after kicking off her flip flops, of course. She slid out of her panties and set them on the counter. Nude, she sat on the edge of the tub and attempted to turn on the shower. She gripped the dial on the wall and turned. No water emerged from the faucet. She tried again several times to no avail. She stood and grabbed one of the towels Adam had given her and wrapped it around herself. She purred slightly as she enjoyed the feeling of the soft cloth on her skin. She unlocked the door and walked out into the hall way. She stepped into the living room to see Adam watching cartoons. She quietly cleared her throat and Adam’s ears swiveled around, picking up the quiet sound. Adam turned his head to face the same direction. His face turned a bit red as his mind fought to say something. Despite his best attempts, all he could do was stare at her for about ten seconds as his male instincts distracted him. He got a grip on himself and spoke.

“Is there a problem?” he asked, smiling slightly. His new room mate blushed as she realized she was nearly naked in front of a male.

“I… don’t know how to turn on the water,” she said, looking down. Adam laughed and stood up.

“Come on,” he said, walking towards her, “I’ll show you.”

Koneko followed him back into the bathroom where he kneeled next to the tub.

“Alright all you have to do is pull out,” he said, demonstrating. The water poured from the lower faucet into the tub, “And pull this little thing up.”

He pulled a small knob on top of the faucet up, causing the water to revert up into the shower head.

“Then you can adjust the temperature by turning the dial,” he said, standing up.

Koneko nodded, her face still a bit red. Adam smiled and left once more. She locked the door behind him and dropped the towel. She climbed into the shower and enjoyed the warm water. She soaked her hair and ears before taking a small amount of shampoo to her head. Once her hair was clean she went on to wash her body. Abandoning the washcloth, she ran the bar of soap along her body, covering herself in a thick layer of suds. Once she was completely covered in white foam, she stepped back into the stream of water. She rinsed herself off and continued to use the shampoo once again, this time on her tail. Once this was clean, she turned off the water by doing the opposite of what Adam had told her to turn it on. She stepped out and began to dry herself. Once she was dry, she opened the door and stepped out. She looked down to see two small piles of clothes with a note between them. The folded piece of paper read:

You can have these. They’re brand new, never been worn. I promise!

-Adam

She smiled and picked up the two piles of pajamas. She took them back inside the bathroom and looked them over. There were two pairs of pants, one of them was red plaid and the other was plain black. The two shirts that came with them were plain long sleeve t-shirts, one white and one black. She put on the plaid pants, making sure her tail made its way through the hole in the back, and the black shirt. They were both a little big on her, the pants going down so far that she could only see her toes and the sleeves of the shirt fitting extremely similar to her own sleeves. Fully clothed this time, she collected her clothes and walked out into the living room, where Adam was still watching TV.

She walked over and stood by the couch. Adam looked up at her.

“I see you found the clothes,” he said, standing up, “Now where do you want to sleep? You can have the couch or the master bedroom,”

She tilted her head.

“I get to choose?” she said, amazed at the decision presented to her. Adam nodded. She weighed the options of each and finally decided on the bedroom. Adam showed her to the room. They walked in and Adam held up the covers of the bed. She climbed inside and Adam laid the sheets down on top of her.

“Comfy?” he asked. When she smiled up at him in response, he smiled back.

“G’night,” he said as he turned the light off. He stepped out of the room and closed the door. Koneko rolled over on her side and fell asleep.

That is the first bit of my original fic. What did you guys think?
[Image: Rainbow_Dash_haters_gonna_hate.gif]

See that guy, he's a drifter! But drifting leads to Bickering, Bickering leads to Karate, and Karate leads to flying around between windows and shit! Then a big guy starts shooting lightning everywhere and Kurt Russell Shows up and Kicks his Ass!
I would suggest the title "The Flame of Youth", due to the main subject being about teaching how to spin poi
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
Hmmm...

I love it! :D

Do you mind if I use it? I promise to credit you!

See that guy, he's a drifter! But drifting leads to Bickering, Bickering leads to Karate, and Karate leads to flying around between windows and shit! Then a big guy starts shooting lightning everywhere and Kurt Russell Shows up and Kicks his Ass!
No credit is required on my part, you asked for it and i gave you it for free.

Your courtesy is much appreciated though, thank you.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
I hope you don't mind but I'm still going to credit you!

I'd feel like I was stealing it if I didn't!:D

Hey guys,

What’s up? Did you all enjoy Part 1? I did. And for the first time in history, somebody answered my plea for a title! Thanks, Guilmon and a Shotgun for the amazing title! ‘Tis greatly appreciated

Now, I proudly present the second bit of my tale.

Part 2 – Friendship, Practice and Strawberry Ice Cream

Koneko slowly opened her eyes as she woke up. Her vision slowly clarified as she blinked the sleep out. When she had a firm vision of the wall she was facing, she sat up and stretched. She looked around to see that the room was in the same condition that she had fallen asleep to, but for one difference. She noticed the subtle scent of a hot breakfast somewhere nearby. She turned around to see a large plate covered by a plastic lid to keep it warm. On top of the cover was a note, written clearly by Adam. It read:

Stepped out to get groceries. Enjoy breakfast in bed!
-Adam

She smiled and reached over to the plate and lifted it up. Beneath it was another note, slightly moist from the steam that had formed under the plate. Before eating, she lifted it and read it as well.

And I know what you’re thinking. This isn’t a one time deal, I promise! See you in a bit!

-Adam

She refolded the not and placed it with the other. She placed a hand on each side of the plastic lid and lifted it up. Her face lit with surprise as she realized the magnitude of the breakfast she had been served. It was not one plate, but several, each holding a different variety of food. On top were three small plates, one with toast and the other two with a variety of fresh fruits. There was a plastic separator between that and the next plate. This one contained two pancakes and a small cup of syrup. She smiled and set the plate down next to the fruits and toast. She removed the last separator to reveal a plate full of some of her favorite food. The final plate had a large serving of scrambled eggs, accompanied by several sausage patties, a few strips of bacon and a small mountain of hash browns. This plate also held all of the silverware.

She sat cross legged on the bed, looking at the bounteous breakfast before her. She picked up a fork and began to pick at every dish, enjoying the selection. The sausage was moist, the bacon crunchy. The eggs seemed to melt away in her mouth along with the toast that was buttered perfectly. Every morsel of fruit seemed to explode with flavor in her mouth. She arrived at the pancakes, feeling slightly full, but not enough to deny the steaming hot cakes before her. She cut off a bit and put it in her mouth, savoring the taste. Within the next few minutes, the pancakes had vanished; the only trace left was the small dry feeling in the back of her throat. She removed a small portion of the hash browns from the pile and ate them, tasting a zing from the spices that Adam had cooked in. She consumed the rest rapidly, wanting the flavor to be a constant one. When she had finished the shredded potatoes, she sat surrounded by empty plates, full and content. Just then she heard the front door open. Koneko stood up and walked over to the bedroom door and opened it, revealing Adam loaded down with bags. He held his arms outstretched with six or seven plastic bags each and one hanging on his tail. He slowly made his way to the kitchen, attempting to keep his balance. He made it half way there before he saw his female friend.

“Please help,” he said, a strained look appearing on his face. Koneko laughed and walked over to assist him. She removed the bag from his tail and three more from his arms. His load lightened, Adam was able to move the rest of the way to the counter and set down the food. Koneko placed her bags on the counter and turned to Adam.

“Thanks for breakfast,” she said, clasping her hands behind her back, “It was delicious!”

“Tomorrow’s will be better,” Adam replied as he began to unpack the groceries, “I was in a hurry this morning.”

Koneko helped Adam place all of the food he had purchased in various cupboards and pantries. When they finished, Adam pulled a pair of poi out of his pocket.

“Ready to practice?” he asked, spinning them around his body, “We only have an hour before the movie starts,”

“Movie?” Koneko asked, tilting her head cutely to the side, “What movie?”

“I go to a movie and lunch every Saturday,” the male replied, spinning his poi behind his head, “Would you like to join me?”

Koneko hadn’t been to a movie in over two years and she had no idea what was playing, but she decided to go along. Over the next hour, Adam reviewed with her over all of the techniques that she had already learned, making sure that she had them down.

“Alright,” Adam said, “Try this. It’s called a two beat weave.”

The male began to spin his poi forward with only one of them coming to the front at once. As his left poi swung down by his knee, he crossed his right over, causing it to follow the exact same path. Just as the right weight reached Adam’s left knee, his left poi had reached the top of its arc. Adam then crossed the poi over and as the right reached the top of its arc on his left side, the left began its arc at the bottom of his right side. Once again, the right poi chased after the left, but it was always half an arc behind. The left poi returned to its respectful side and continued spinning, while its companion on the right surrendered and returned to spinning on its side. And with that the move was finished.

The move was basic but elegant, and Adam smiled as he finished.

“Now you try,” he said, crouching to watch. Koneko began to spin her own poi, starting slowly. She settled into the rhythm that Adam had and began the move. As her left poi passed by her knee, she brought her right poi over. As it passed her left knee, it brushed against her leg, disrupting its trajectory slightly, just enough to cause a problem. As she brought the left poi over, the right followed, its plane corrupted by the touch. The right never made it to the other side of her leg; instead it bounced of the inside of her right knee and back behind her. When the slack ran out, the poi swung up in between her legs. It pulled itself free from her grip and tangled around her tail. She blushed as she realized her mistake and attempted to release her tail, to no avail. Adam laughed at his student’s attempt and walked over to her. She stopped spinning about as Adam placed a hand on her shoulder.

“I got it,” he said, kneeling down. He gently took hold of her tail and began to unravel the cloth from it. He carefully avoided pulling any of the fur out as it slowly came free. Once he was finished, he stood and returned the poi to its owner.

“That was great for your first attempt,” Adam said, spinning his own poi about once while he spoke, “It took me two days to get that far. And that looked much better then my first attempt.”

“Really?” she asked, looking up at the male.

“Yeah. You are much more graceful than I was,”

Koneko blushed at the complement. Adam looked up at the clock and saw that it had been forty five minutes since they started.

“Alright, go get changed and we can go to the movie,” he said, wrapping his poi through the metal loop on his waistband, “We’ll work on that more, later.”

Adam sat down on the couch as Koneko went to change. Five minutes later, Koneko emerged from the bedroom wearing the same clothes she had arrived in.

“Ready?” Adam asked, standing up. Koneko nodded, “Are those the only clothes you have?”

Koneko looked down at the ground and nodded. Adam lifted her chin,

“You’re always looking down,” he said, “It doesn’t really suit you. Come on, we’ll catch the movie then go clothes shopping. And then we can get some lunch. Okay?”
“Thank you,” Koneko said, smiling. Adam led her out the door.

Adam’s apartment building was about a fifteen minute walk from the mall and the theater. They arrived just in time to purchase concessions and find good seats. Adam had let Koneko select the movie, but as she hadn’t been to a theater in a while, she didn’t know what was playing. She had asked the lady in the box office for a suggestion, who in turn recommended a romantic comedy that was a huge hit for young couples. They had found their seats just in time for the trailers. After two hours of movie, they departed into the mall.

“Alright,” Adam said, blinking to adjust his eyes to the light, “Well that was a good movie. What did you think?”

“I liked it,” Koneko said, stretching slightly, “The ending was great,”

“Yeah,” Adam replied, “Well, you need some clothes for performing, so let’s go see what they have.”

Adam took Koneko to a performance store that he shopped at frequently and they walked back to the clothing section. Koneko spent the next thirty minutes trying on various pants and tops, enjoying the process. She finally narrowed it down it a pair of pants and a shirt. She stepped out of the dressing room to see that Adam was talking to the guy behind the counter. She slowly walked over to him and stood behind him. The man at the counter stopped talking. Adam turned around and looked at his friend. She had selected a pair of pants that ended just below her knees. They were black with a golden stripe down the side. The top she had selected was a form fitting sleeveless shirt with a thin hood. She stood there for a moment, looking at Adam’s expression and waiting for a response.

“How do I look?” she asked as Adam stared.

“You look great,” he said, still staring, “Perfect.”

“Thanks,” she said,

“So is that what you want?”

Koneko nodded.

“Alright, go change so we can head out.”

The girl walked back into dressing room and changed. Soon enough, the two felines had left the performance store and towards the door. At the last minute, Adam veered off to the left.

“Where are we going?” Koneko asked, following Adam away from the door.

“To get you some more clothes,” Adam said as though the answer was obvious, “You can’t wear your show gear all the time.”

“You don’t need to buy me anything else,” she said, as she jogged to catch up with him.

“I know I don’t have to,” he said turning to look at her, walking backwards, “But I want to,”

She finally caught up to Adam, matching his pace. They walked quickly from store to store, Adam allowing Koneko to select what ever she liked. Not wanting to wear out her friends pockets, Koneko held back, selecting only what she really wanted. Adam, however, purchased every item without regret or hesitation, enjoying spending time with his partner. When they finished shopping, they walked to a restaurant about a block away. They arrived and waited about five minutes for a table, then ordered some food. They talked about the movie, poi, and the clothes she had picked up. When those conversations wore themselves out, Adam looked around.

“This is my favorite restaurant,” he said, feeling a sense of nostalgia.

“Why?” Koneko asked, eating a fry.

“This is the first restaurant I ever went to,” he said, taking a sip of soda, “I still remember. I sat in that booth over there and had a cheeseburger with guacamole and bacon and a root beer. Then, I had a milkshake. It was the best meal I ever had. Then h…”

Adam’s voice trailed off into nothing. His eyes became misty as he remembered, but he soon came back to reality.

“Do you want any desert?” he asked out of nowhere. Surprised by the question, Koneko could only nod. Adam called the waitress over.

“What’ll you have?” the New Race avian asked. Adam turned to Koneko and waited for her answer.

“I-Ice Cream?” she stuttered, unprepared.

“What kind?”

“Uh,” the feline responded, “What do you have?”

“Well,” the bird responded, “We have chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. But it’s illegal for us to serve food that will kill people so I can offer you strawberry or vanilla,”

“Uh, strawberry?” she replied awkwardly. This waitress jotted the order down on her pad, then turned on Adam.

“And you, sir?”

“Strawberry ice cream,” he replied, eating a few fries. The waitress left, and returned a minute later with two dishes of frozen dairy. She set them down on the table along with the bill and departed. The two felines looked at each other over the treats waiting for the other to make a move. Koneko moved first, taking a spoonful of the cream and putting it in her mouth. Adam ate his as well. They continued to eat in silence until Adam heard a small noise. He turned to his companion to hear her purring quietly as she ate.

“Enjoying that ice cream?” he asked, choking back laughter. The female suddenly realized how she had reacted and her face began to turn red.

“Sorry,” she said, embarrassed, “I didn’t realize… I…”

“No problem,” Adam said, taking another spoonful, “No problem at all.”

They finished their desert and went back home, where Koneko had the two beat weave mastered by the end of the day.

The next two weeks went by quickly. Every morning Adam would make Koneko breakfast and they would practice. Once a week they went to the movies and lunch. They had gone to dinner several times and out to the mall once more.

After the first week, Adam began to teach Koneko fire work. When they started, Koneko was timid and cautious with the flames, but she soon conquered her fear and was spinning as though they were not on fire. One day while they were practicing, the phone rang. Adam answered it and after a bit of celebrating, hung up.

“Do you want to do a show in two weeks?” he asked.

That’s the end of “Part 2 – Friendship, Practice and Strawberry Ice Cream. What did you all think of it?

Hey guys,

How many of you read the first two parts? Raise your hands? Anybody? Hmm, well that’s fine. If you happen to have opened this thread, sit back, relax, and enjoy reading Part 3 of The Flame of Youth! Thanks Guilmon and a Shotgun for the epic title!

Part 3 – Fire Has Two Traits

Adam and Koneko stood in the back of the Wolf’s Den club. The club was an old venue that Adam had performed at before and belonged to a friend. The owner, Kasra, was a New Race canine who had purchased the bar when he was eighteen. Five years later the bar became a popular hot spot for New Race and Half-Breeds. Humans were welcome but they often avoided the building due to the lack of people without fur and tails. The two felines hid behind the stage, quietly practicing while the room filled.

In the past week, Adam had taught Koneko many simple but impressive moves that she could safely pull off in front of a live audience. He watched her practice with ribbon poi, talking her through one of his favorite sayings.

“Remember,” he said, listening as the ribbons that swirled around her mocked the noise of flame, “Fire has?”

“Two traits,” Koneko answered back, still performing flawlessly.

“And those are?”

“Fire can keep you warm and safe if you treat it properly but if you provoke it you will get burned,”

“Perfect,” Adam said, smiling, “You nervous?”

Koneko nodded as she stopped spinning. Adam stood and walked over, placing his hands on her shoulders.

“Don’t be,” he said, smiling, “I’ll be right behind you. Literally.”

The routine that Adam had planned out did indeed have the two dancers one in front of the other. Adam handed her two fire poi, ready to light. He then lifted his poi from the bag, which were slightly bigger than hers. He removed a lighter from his pocket and tossed it in the air. He caught it and made sure that it worked. After the lighter was stored away, he walked towards the curtain to go onstage. A hand came to rest on his shoulder.

“I’m still nervous,” Koneko said, adjusting her hood. Adam put his arms over her shoulders and lifted the cloth over her head.

“You’ll be fine,” he said, smiling, “I promise.”

Adam killed the lights in the club, eliciting a large cheer from the patrons. The pitch black before them was the stage and beyond it was the crowd, waiting to be impressed. Adam led his female companion out into the dark as they took their positions.

Adam’s acute hearing picked up on Koneko’s breathing, which was heavy and forced. He smiled and gently put his unseen hand on her back. He leaned in while retrieving the lighter from his pocket.

“Relax,” he whispered directly into her right ear. He clicked the lighter twice, creating a three inch tall flame, “Need a light?”

She lifted her poi until the one of the balls came in contact with the flame. As the orb ignited, music began to play, cued by the barkeep. Koneko waved the poi back and forth like a pendulum careful to keep the other flammable ball away until the cue. The audience was mystified as the hooded female that wasn’t there a moment ago, commanded a seemingly floating orb of fire back and forth to the music. As a loud and long note struck, she moved the second orb into the path of the first, igniting it. The two pendulums swung back and forth, slowly getting higher. They eventually made it all the way to the top and rotated around. They continued to move along this path until they were moving too fast for the eye to track, creating seamless rings of fire. It was only then that two more orbs, larger then the first, ignited. These two orbs rapidly began to spin on planes perpendicular to the first two. Then, when the speeds matched, the planes meshed. They broke apart as the dancers separated, Adam rotating one hundred and eighty degrees so his back was to the audience, and Koneko stepping off to the left. The male began to weave a blanket of fire behind his person, carefully avoiding his tail. While Adam moved with speed and strength, Koneko gently performed more delicate moves. Her body moved in delicate lines and curves as she painted a portrait of flame around her, displaying her grace as nothing else could. Adam moved behind her, once again turning so he could face her, and began to move the poi in huge circles behind him, creating the perfect background for Koneko. She delicately went through every move in her arsenal in an order that appealed to the eye. She slowed her spins until the poi were clearly visible, possessing ribbons of flame behind them. Adam then took the lead.

He stepped forward and began to cross his flaming poi not only in front of him, but in front of Koneko, placing the female between her friend and the fire. He performed several moves in this manner, moving behind her with power and talent. When he had finished, he spiraled the poi inward, wrapping them around two fingers. The poi slowly vortexed inward, moving dangerously close to his hands. He then moved his arms up and around Koneko and dropped the poi into an extinguishing pot. Ten minutes had passed, the song ended. The crowd clapped and cheered as the lights rose, revealing the two dancers. Adam stepped forward.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” he announced, “We are going to take a short break. But we will be back in five minutes!”

The crowd cheered once more as Adam hopped off the stage. Koneko approached the edge, her poi still ablaze.

“Can I keep spinning?” she asked Adam innocently. The male smiled.

“Yes you may, but be careful and hood off,”

The girl shook her head backwards, revealing her head and kept spinning. Adam grinned up at her before walking away. He approached the bar to talk with Kasra.

“Hey, Kasra!” the feline said, taking a seat, “Did we get any tips?”

The wolf emerged from behind the counter holding a jar full of one dollar bills.

“Yeah,” he said, dumping it out, “You got about forty bucks here. Wanna order something?”

“I can’t drink, man. I’m nineteen, remember?”

“Oh, yeah,” Kasra replied feeling a bit down about losing a sale, “What about your girlfriend? How old is she?”

“She isn’t my girlfriend, and she’s only eighteen,” Adam said, laughing, “Have any ice cream?”

“This is a club, not a Baskin Robbins,” the wolf said, “I have soda?”

“Not now,” Adam said. His ears swiveled around to face backwards as he heard a loud arguing from the stage area. He turned around.

Koneko was still spinning while Adam talked to his friend. She was carefree until she noticed what appeared to be the only two humans in the bar approaching the stage. One of them appeared to be holding the other back. As they got closer, she began to pick up their conversation.

“This isn’t that kind of club, man,” said one with brown hair combed politely to the side, “Let’s just go home.”

“I’m not leaving until I get a lap dance,” said the other, bald and obviously drunk. He pushed his friend away and continued to the stage. He stopped at the edge.

“Hey, girly!” he yelled up at Koneko, “How ‘bout you come down here and have a little fun?”

Koneko ignored him as the man’s friend tried to pull him away. The man pushed his friend to the floor and turned back on Koneko.

“I’m talking to you, girl!”

“I’m talking to you, girl!” a bald man yelled from the other side of the room. Adam turned to see a man yelling at Koneko, obviously wasted. She continued to ignore him and spin. Adam stood up and began to slowly walk over. To his shock, the man reached up and grabbed Koneko by the tail and pulled, causing her to collapse to the ground. She dropped her poi in front of him. The man released her tail and stared at the flaming ball.

“Oh, shit!” he yelled as the fire registered in his mind. He scooped up one of the fire extinguishers as the whole bar watched. He fiddled with the catch for a moment, then blasted the flaming ball. He over did the action, covering Koneko’s bare feet and legs with freezing substance. She squeaked and began to push the foam from her legs as fast as she could. Adam began to jog across the room, being blocked by people.

“You stupid bitch!” the drunk yelled, “You almost lit me on fire!”

Adam began to push through the crowd as he saw the man’s hand rise up. His middle finger locked itself behind his thumb, building tension. Adam was ten feet away when his finger blasted out. Time seemed to slow as the digit made direct contact with Koneko’s right ear. Feline Half-Breeds ears were more sensitive than any other part of their body. Adam’s own ear twitched empathetically as he saw it happen. He had been punched and even kicked in his ears, but Koneko had no such experience. Furthermore, she was exponentially more sensitive than he.

Koneko let out a feline cry that was heard by the whole bar. She crawled to the back of the stage and sat there, her hands over her ears. Adam pushed in between the men and jumped up on stage. He dropped to his knees as he slid over to his friend.

“Koneko?” he asked, reaching out to touch her. She lashed out with her left hand; claws extended, and struck Adam in the face. She left four thin scratches from along left cheek, barely deep enough to draw blood. Adam paused as she realized what she had done. She then opened her arms and allowed Adam in. He cradled her torso while she cried into his chest.

“It’ll be alright,” he said quietly, rocking her gently, “It’ll be alright.”

His heart practically broke seeing the girl hurt. A tear fell from his own eye as he held her. She cried for a full ten minutes while the rest of the bar watched. When she seemed to run out of tears, Adam lifted her face up.

“Everything is going to be okay,” he said, looking kindly into her eyes, “I’m going to make the man apologize. You stay right here, okay?”

Koneko nodded and sat back, curling into a fetal position with her back to the wall and her eyes closed. Adam stood and turned to the two humans. He pointed to the guy in the brown hair.

“Hey, you,” he said, his eyes dark and ominous, “Did you do anything?”

The man shook his head vigorously.

“No,” he said, “I’m just his designated driver!”

Adam stood for a moment looking back and forth between the two men.

“You’re driving home alone tonight,” the feline said, “Beat it!”

The brown haired man was gone before anybody could blink, leaving the bald drunk alone. Adam dropped from the stage to the main floor, landing without a sound. A circle formed as Adam approached the man.

“What’re you going to do, kitty?” the man said, attempting to strike a threatening pose. Adam did not respond. He stopped about four feet from the human and jutted his middle finger into the air, flipping the man off. Enraged at the offensive gesture, the drunk dived at Adam, who stepped out of the way. The attacker collided with a table, drawing laughs from the crowd. He stood back up, only to find Adam two feet from him, still flashing the obscene hand sign. He stared into the man’s eyes as he brought the finger back down, then flipped it up again, this time bringing his index finger with it. Claws extended from the two digits as they stood straight. A malicious look upon his face, Adam drove the sharp points through the bottom of the man’s head and up into his mouth, where they remained.

The human let out a blood curdling, guttural yell as the Half-Breed led him to the stage. The cat smashed his victim’s head down onto the hard wood and pointed his face towards Koneko.

“Apologize!” he shouted, “Now!”

The room fell silent in anticipation, and it was only when Adam removed his fingers and pressed down on the man’s temple that a gurgling reply came.

“I’m sorry,” the man said to the best of his ability.

“I don’t think she heard you!” Adam said, applying more pressure on the man’s head.

“I’m sorry!” he said, wincing in pain.

“That was good,” Adam said, lifting the man and taking him to the door. The cat paused at the bar and grabbed a bottle of whiskey off it. He smashed the glass over the man’s head, dousing him in the liquid. He pulled him to the door, fiddling in his pocket for something. Standing in the door way, he pulled lighter he used for shows and clicked it on. He held it two inches away from the man’s face.

“Punishment time,” he said. He touched the flame to the man’s nose, igniting the liquid. The man ran away screaming, his head and shoulders ablaze.

“FIRE BURNS!” Adam shouted after him.

Koneko opened her eyes when she felt a gentle touch on her shoulder. Adam was once again crouching next to her with all of the poi gear in a back pack, a kind smile upon his face.

“Are you all right?” he asked, leaning in a bit closer. She shook her head slowly. Adam once again embraced her, and she returned it.

“Were going home,” he said, carefully placing an arm beneath her knees. He lifted her up and carried her off the stage. Kasra stopped them halfway to the door carrying twenty dollars in his hand.

“Whiskey bottles are twenty, so this is yours,” he said. The wolf held out the money and waited for it to be taken. Adam simply walked around him.

“And the rest is for the mess. Send the check.” He said, walking out the door.

Adam arrived at the apartment door, still carrying Koneko. He set her down and opened the door, then led her inside. He escorted her over to the couch and had her sit down.

“I’ll be right back,” he said, walking away. He rushed into the kitchen and opened the freezer. He reached into the back and took out the carton of strawberry ice cream he had purchased earlier that week. He then went on a hunt for a clean spoon. Once he found the silverware he was hunting for, he returned to the living room to find Koneko still sitting where he had left her, her ears flat against her head.

She jumped slightly as he rested a hand on her shoulder.

“Ice cream?” he asked, taking a seat next to her. She slowly nodded, her face solemn. Adam scooped out a generous spoonful and offered her the utensil. Instead of taking it, Koneko simply ate the frozen treat from the end, then looked at Adam with a wanting look on her face. He smiled and scooped her another spoonful. She leaned against him as he fed her, her mood slowly lifting as she consumed more of the treat. When she had taken the last bite from the box, she reclined into Adam’s lap, staring up at him.

“Ready for bed?” he asked, setting the empty carton on the coffee table. She nodded.

“Can I sleep out here with you?” she asked, her voice cute, innocent and irresistible.

“Of course,” he said, smiling, “Do you want to change first?”

She sat up and allowed Adam to help her up. They walked into the master bedroom and Adam waited outside while she changed. Once she was in the pajamas she had worn the night before, Adam stepped in and got dressed. He emerged from the room and escorted her back to the living room, where he lay himself down on the couch. He gestured for her to lay down next to him, but she opted to crawl over one of the arms and lie directly on his chest.

Before settling in, she planted a kiss directly on Adam’s lips, and waited there. It was not long before Adam returned it. She slowly stuck her rough feline tongue into his mouth, sharing the taste of strawberry. They lay their for a minute, their tongues intertwined, before she broke off.

“I love you,” she said, nuzzling into his bare chest. Adam brought his hands up and rested them on her back.

“I love you, too,” he said, admiring the flavor she had left in his mouth. He gently stroked her back, running his hands along her spine from neck to tail until she fell asleep.

And that night she slept warm and safe. Because fire has two traits.

And that was part three! This part has my favorite close! What did all of you think?

Hey guys,

I planned out two more parts to this story. But I also have another original fic waiting in the wings that I feel I should work on. So answer me this truthfully:

Is this story worth a Part 4 & 5? Or should I leave it with a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling ending?

Okay then, no responses to the question. Hmmm... This is really a decision between keeping it a clean and innocent love tale or throwing in a sex scene to finalize the relationship. I think I'll sleep on it tonight. My decision shall be swayed by any responses that might occur.

I mean, even if one person would like to hear the remainder of what I planned as the story, I'll write it. But if nobody is going to read it I'll move on and call it a completed piece.

I was going to answer the question earlier, but just as I did with your previous topic, my short attention span caused me to trail off what I was doing and forget.

Anyway, to answer your question of whether this story should have a part 4 and 5: I'm not sure. As you said, there isn't much further to go after the two are done doing each other. You could just add on to part 3, insert the sex scene and then have the final kissing part afterward. That way you get sex AND the romantic ending without adding too much.
In soviet goggles, Russia does nothing.