Join our server on Discord

Work anecdotes.
Okay, so let me state for the record that I've been meaning to share a few of these along the way during my time working at my uncle's restbar (4th summer working there by the way!), but I continued proctrastinating due to the fact I had limited access from THERE and that any time I'd spend here at home I'd barely have the energy to even think up of anything clever to say along with them. Now, having covered up for my lazyness, let me present a few stories that I found curious and/or simply ironic/interesting or that made me mad/sad at some point.

So, this guy, let's say, Antonio, works in the balneary as its DJ (although most of what he does is just set a CD on the player, adjust the volume and then he just wastes time talking to people). This guy's a childhood friend of my uncle, not to mention a somewhat charismatic individual who happens to have some sort of superiority complex among youngsters (He's probably 40-50 at this point) and loves to tell people what they should do with their lives because of what he's seen during his travels to the United States and many other hot spots in Argentina.

While this might edge around the ranty area, I'm just sounding kind of biased with my description of the guy simply because he always liked teasing me when I was a brat, and even continues doing so for the sake of old times despite I'm clearly three heads taller than he is (People often remark how I should just shut him up by compressing him to the floor singlehandedly, but. Although tempting, that's not how I solve problems with attention-whores) and let's just say I have my own kind of fun getting back at him when he leasts expects it.

For example, he likes annoying me with anything I eat during lunch break at work. Dude's kind of seated, so even if the whole personel is fed, let's say, spaghetti with sauce, he may just change it for a milanesa with a large stack of mashed potatoes. The fun fact is, he doesn't pay for it. While that doesn't bother me, he likes to pick on me aloud if I pay for a change in the menu whenever I feel like eating something I want or in case they serve fish (That's the one food I'll never like).

So, one day, I decide I want to try an item on the menu. A simple thing anyway, it was just a "Fresh Gourmet", a pair of broad buns with chicken, peppers, oregan, tomato and lettuce in it. Just as I begin eating it, he called me from his table: "Would you like high-heels with that, Missy?" he said. Don't remember how many picked up on the joke, but it was suddenly feeling like high-school again, so I decided to give him the same treatment as I did back then. Thing is, he wouldn't stop.

As I finished eating, I just did the same as always (even though I don't have to since the girls in charge do it) and pick up my plate, glass and proceed to go to the kitchen, when I hear that irritatingly cunning voice again: "You're a whiny girl, changing the menu like that. Why don't you just eat what they serve you like a man?"

So, thinking about what I knew, I just told him: "Thought I'd follow your steps. By the way, you might wanna stop letting your mouth ramble on, you're sounding like a girl your age."

While upon retrospect that sounded kind of machist and insultive to our eldery, at the time I found it quite fitting to say, and as my boss nodded at me from my workplace with a smirk (He covers for me when I go to lunch) I just noticed Antonio had decided to just shut up. He never talked to me again for the rest of the day, which I found, to say the least, utterly relaxing.

Anyway, all that was just to boast a successful confrontation, but also to condition you guys for what's to come as I found it immensly hilarious. As you might all have deduced by now, Antonio acts like your typical old-school jock, and is prone to being shocked if you act like you're playing his game and then you overthrow him. Now, we're all used to him by now, but what about people from 'outside'?

Alright, it was one ugly day during January. Two middle-aged women working for the goverment came to assess our balneary's earnings and all that yadda, as well as to take the personal data from our workers (myself included) for our 'salary checks'. I remember it clear as a day, they were sitting at Table 3, which was just in front of my work desk. As one of them processed the data from the tickets I was giving her, the other one kept taking the personel's information on their work status.

Let me say one thing about where I work: It's sort of conveniently in 'black', and every year we sort of go through this. During this time, most of the personel 'excuse themselves', and as such, only a few have to give their info out. So, during this time, we were short on waiters and waitresses, and I recall having seen Antonio verrrry flustered, since the remaining girls had so much in their hands that they barely could graciously display their mannerisms and work to a certain degree. So, being the 'problem solver' he thinks he was he decided to start 'helping' by telling the girls how to place plates and crystals around in the rests. Naturally, the government ladies saw him carrying plates and stuff.

In order to finish their assignment, the women had to take the data from one last person, that was Antonio. Both our supervisor and manager were out to take care of things outside, and I had the privilege so to speak to catch some of the conversation between Antonio and the woman.

W(oman): *Taking notes* So what is it that you do?

A(ntonio): Oh, you see, I take care of the music in the Administration's cabin.

W: *Blinks in confusion* Where is that?

A: *Points to the location, outside of the restaurant and talks some more*

W: I was under the impression you were a waiter, sir. Is that not your occupation?

A: Oh, no. You're getting it wrong.

W: Really? Well, might you explain to me why you were not in your work post, then?

So, they talk some more, and then comes the sweet part:

W: You can't be seriously telling me you're this place's DJ when I clearly saw you carrying plates over to empty tables and into those rests to set the tables up. That obviously doesn't match with your work's description.

A: *Flustered* Are you going to continue this for long? I was only helping the poor waitresses!

W: Sounded to me like you were trying to show them how to set tables up. I hardly find it consistent for a DJ to be butting in a waitress' job.

A: How dare you! I was there, being a good samaritan, and you,

W: *Trying to hold her laughter* Wait, a good samaritan? Srnk. Oh, come on. You can't be serious.

So, as they both became increasingly bothered by each other, I just amused myself with the red-faced Antonio and the largely annoyed lady. At one point in the argument though, it exploded as the woman got fed up with Antonio's antics and slammed the desk with her hands, saying something like: "Very well, if you've no interest in your salary check then so be it, out of my sight!" she said, not even looking at Antonio as she grabbed the paper she was filling with his info and shredded it in front of him. Antonio left with something shy of rabbies in his face and I just silently laughed along with everybody else.

And here I thought his 'charm' worked with everyone. Guess you can't hope to be inflexible with equally inflexible people. Anyway, that's something I wanted to type up. I'll type another anecdote shortly, feel free to comment on this one though! XD
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Sorry DMX, but it's not a great comeback. In that sort of situation, I'd just say something like, "This is what I feel like eating. Why do you care?" If you don't like harmless teasing, indifference is usually the best strategy.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
More or less it seems like the everyday thing. But.... I dunno. hope you enjoy working though.
That's okay, Wise. I had tried that before, with a similar, if not the precise same phrase, but seeing as it wouldn't work and it would still annoy me during lunch break, I just decided for a different course of action. Which is to say, the unexpected, for him anyway. It was a nice distraction for that day!
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
I've never been so attracted to a woman before! XD

And the thought of you compacting people to the floor makes me giddy! X3
[Image: self_centered_coyote_by_kerol-d2zmoca.png]
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
Veemon's Followers
I have at least one customer per day where I want to leap over the counter and murder them bloodily with scissors.

Today, a woman was telling me that I "didn't understand" her billing situation.

I replied with, "Oh I understand, I'm just not telling you what you want to hear."
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

Oh, hey! That reminds me of the previous season to my last. That day one of the waiters comes to me and says: "Uhm, buddy. We got a problem, guy says we're charging him for what he hasn't eaten."

I reply with something like: "Really? Show me that bill."

So, we started reviewing the additioning I had done to form the bill with all the food the customer had eaten and finally I just asked him (the waiter), "Tell me what kind of burger he ordered." He told me something like it had been a burger with ham, tomato and lettuce. In additionist's terms, that means: Hamburger H&C (Ham & Cheese) + Sandwich Additional.

Basically, the menu has these in terms of burgers:

Hamburger.
Hamburger H&C.
Complete Hamburger. (Ham, Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato and Egg with Fries)

Apart from that, if a customer would ask for a simple Cheeseburger, that'd mean we'd charge for a Hamburger + Sandwich Additonal. Since it's only the burger plus cheese.

So, in this precise case, according to our 'Scrooge' who I had a talk with the next day, I should've charged a Hamburger + 3 Sandwich Additionals, as "everything comes out as it is in the menu". According to my BOSS, whose logic I understand clearly, I could just play nice with the customer and charge a Hambuger H&C (Which is basically a two additional burger) plus a single additional which meant like 3 pesos cheaper. I always do that and I don't listen to the other guy, I know who my boss is.

'kay, that's the explanation needed for you guys to understand my logic.

After explaining the same in a shorter manner (Since he's a waiter and understands somewhat), I told him to explain that to the customer. The waiter goes off with the unchanged bill.

He later comes back saying that the guy says the hamburger still is wrong and that he'd wish to be charged what he ate and not more. I'm used to those situations, and I hate dealing with clients, but I had to do what I had to so I told him to return, try explaining again and if he wouldn't accept it that he could come speak to me personally.

Maxi (The waiter) comes back with this middle-aged gentleman with a flat nose and a rather short statute (redundant for someone as tall as I am, but still true to others apparently) who turns out to be the complaining client. Maxi tells me about him and then he leaves us to talk, some of my work mates start watching me as I'm sitting at my work place and talking with the angered client, my boss sitting next to my PC, browsing internet on the other PC only 2 feet apart from me.

The client starts by saying I'm not supposed to charge him what's depicted in the ticket bill, so I just play it safe and rethorically ask: "What did you eat, sir?" and then as he started telling me I lifted the ticket and started pointing at everything he told me with my finger on the ticket. He stopped at 'Burger'. Once he saw everything he told me was there he started arguing that the burger didn't have ham and cheese and that he didn't understand what a Sandwich Additional was, and why we were charging him for it.

I calmly explained what I explained to you guys. The menu depicts what you can ask for, and I also explained the guy that I wasn't charging him a Hamburger with 3 additionals which is more expensive than a H&C + 1 Add. He then asked about additionals, and said that he wasn't aware we charged for extra ingredients. I asked if he had read the menu, I heard my boss chuckle a bit, and fortunately the client didn't hear him.

While I hadn't tried to sound insultive or arrogant, I somehow must've come out like so because he then got angry and started describing his food.

"I ate this small burger, with a diminute piece of tomato that couldn't even be considered a single ring, a small leaf of lettuce and a bit of ham. You're crazy if you think I'll pay what you're asking me for in this ticket!"

That's when I stood up from my seat as I thought I wasn't making myself clear, he stood back a few feet and looked up at me from below. So- I showed him the menu, attempting to feign ignorance about what he was trying to do (Because it's obvious he was haggling) and calmly explained pointing at every possible combination he could've made, I re-explained I was charging less than I was supposed to and then, just getting fed of his repetitive glares I looked besides to my boss and simply uttered: "Sebastian."

I really had fun with that. My boss never gets angry, unless it's with the printer or the dust-old PCs. Sebas tells the man: "If you're not satisfied with what we're charging you, we'll charge you what we're supposed to, then." He nodded to me and then I sat down, looked at the guy in the eye and asked: "Would you like me to charge you the extra money for the Burger + 3, then?"

I just knew he had just cursed at me or Sebas, or maybe at both, at least in the back of his mind. He suddenly got flustered and began blurting stuff about us poking fun at him and being disrespectful, Sebas just nodded and told him that he was just going to charge for what he had consumed and nothing more, and that if he had no money, that he could go without paying, and here's where I can insert a verrrry tense, yet secure elipse.

Guy just gave me the money, turned around and left.

I was told I had done a good job :3
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
It's like the Hamburger Mafia! You should totally get Sebastian to put on a dark suit, smoke a cigar and speak in a husky sicilian accent :D

I don't work, but i have a few idiots at my school who poke fun at me due to the, shall we say, well worn nature of the uniform i wear. I remember on one occasion one of them, who was of a large build body-wise, said "At least i'm not a smelly tramp that lives in a cardboard box down by the river", to which i replied "Better that then being a vain, self-obsessed walrus-shaped waste of space like yourself".
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
And what happened after you said that?
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
People laughed and i had a sandwich, but i don't really think the events after that are very funny ^^
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds