Join our server on Discord

What is the best gaming computer to get?
Okay, my birthday is right around the corner and I have been looking at gaming computers. I've had my eye on them for a few years now, but never really spoke up about it towards my parents. I know there is Alienware and other gaming computers out there. But I'm not sure which is the best one for me to get. So to anyone who owns a gaming computer, which computer do you recommend me getting?

Both laptop or desktop.
Alienware is overpriced IMO. I got a computer just as good as one of theirs, for half the price. They're like Mac, all brand name and no power. Also, Laptops are MUCH more expensive than Desktops, if you're looking into gaming computers. If you compare a laptop and a desktop with the same general power, the laptop is bound to be at least 50% more expensive.

This is the PC I have, and it's VERY powerful for its price. (Ignore the $799...I got it for $680 on Amazon.) But if you're looking for a computer that you can mod / switch out components, then you're better off building your own PC, because really, the LX6810-01 is well, built VERY crappily. Putting in a new processor was easy, but putting in a case fan was annoying because the adapter was hidden inside the case. Also, the fan must be dusted out every couple of months, or else it overheats like a bitch.

You don't really need to mod it, though, unless you're a nerd like me :P Before putting in a new processor, it played WoW and TF2 perfectly fine.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Laptops are also difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade. They're generally not designed with modular replacement in mind. In a desktop, it's pretty easy to swap out video cards and whatnot. In laptops, components are usually integrated into the same board or soldered together to save space.
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

You don't get the best gaming computer, you make it. :P
While I have absolutely no idea how to do it myself. My friend Zach says that upgrading laptops is more difficult, but the average person could easily upgrade their ram or hard drive if they aren't afraid of taking out a few screws. The rest they would need help to upgrade..

I think I'd stick to a desktop. The parts are easier to find, and even a 4 year old can figure out how to put them together (Granted he's a surprisingly intelligent 4 year old.. But it can be done.)
"You are such a smartass."
"Objectively I am very smart, although it has nothing to do with my ass."
(02-16-2010 03:51 PM)Erethzium Wrote: Alienware is overpriced IMO. I got a computer just as good as one of theirs, for half the price. They're like Mac, all brand name and no power. Also, Laptops are MUCH more expensive than Desktops, if you're looking into gaming computers. If you compare a laptop and a desktop with the same general power, the laptop is bound to be at least 50% more expensive.

This is the PC I have, and it's VERY powerful for its price. (Ignore the $799...I got it for $680 on Amazon.) But if you're looking for a computer that you can mod / switch out components, then you're better off building your own PC, because really, the LX6810-01 is well, built VERY crappily. Putting in a new processor was easy, but putting in a case fan was annoying because the adapter was hidden inside the case. Also, the fan must be dusted out every couple of months, or else it overheats like a bitch.

You don't really need to mod it, though, unless you're a nerd like me :P Before putting in a new processor, it played WoW and TF2 perfectly fine.

Only problems I had with gateway was the power supply.
Well, it is easier to upgrade a desktop if you don't get a small tower of course. But I do hear it's true. you don't buy a gaming computer, you build it.
Buy a simple one and upgrade it.
(02-25-2010 02:29 PM)Ryan Wrote: Only problems I had with gateway was the power supply.

Haven't had a single power problem with my Gateway, yet.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
thing is, are you a hardcore gamer or more of a passive gamer?

Myself, I only really play Secondlife, so my Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 Laptop is perfect. Good sized harddrive, dual-core processor, and more than capable of handling a few games.

If you're looking for melt-your-face-off-your-skull performance, then Building a desktop would be the route for you.
The last mutt standing.

The one and only, Cowboy from Hell.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I reach the other side, 
I can show him what it feels like to die.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I'm cast out of the skies,
I can shoot the Devil right between the eyes.
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
(02-25-2010 03:14 PM)Erethzium Wrote:
(02-25-2010 02:29 PM)Ryan Wrote: Only problems I had with gateway was the power supply.

Haven't had a single power problem with my Gateway, yet.

xD Well. I had a 2004 model once. Switched the ram in it. boom. Power supply went out as soon as I turned it on.