Join our server on Discord

Left 4 Dead!
Well, I usually am playing at least by 10pm Pacific Time and stay on maybe till like...4 am
[Image: 2hrn80k.jpg][Image: 25hpq38.gif]
The Mod Squad
The OCA
Thing is though, i'm kind of stuck on whether to get the 360 version or the PC. i mean obviously the 360 is better but with PC i can have Johnny Bravo as the tank and Chris Crocker as the witch and even Mario as the Infected.

What do you guys think? is it worth getting PC, or just stick on with the 360 version?
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
(03-12-2009 07:17 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: Thing is though, i'm kind of stuck on whether to get the 360 version or the PC. i mean obviously the 360 is better but with PC i can have Johnny Bravo as the tank and Chris Crocker as the witch and even Mario as the Infected.

What do you guys think? is it worth getting PC, or just stick on with the 360 version?

A lot of people prefer getting the PC version. I kinda do myself, but my computer just isn't made for hardcore games. I'm just sticking with the 360 version right now until I get work, money, and everything fixed up so then maybe I may just get the PC version and give it a try.
[Image: 2hrn80k.jpg][Image: 25hpq38.gif]
The Mod Squad
The OCA
This is such a fun game >> ; Marf..... Played it through the first scenario once. I enjoyed. Versus mode is insane <3.
~Gabu

Live life and let live.

2 years on the DaD
Gabumon Loverz Group Trooper
DMAW moderarator
Art Section Mod
Muse of many talents
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds
Just bought the game and to be honest, it's not fun...25 pounds just to be totally raped by creatures that are not zombies? (seriously, they're not. Zombies can't walk properly, can't run, can't use their tongue to kill you or turn into fat/muscled bastards and beat the crap out of you)

I know that it is supposed to be like that, with chances of surviving at a bare minimum, but Nazi Zombies got it right - sure they might run at you, but the weapon variety is immense, plus you can get upgrades to weapons fire rate, running speed, health and even quicker revive times. Another benefit of NZ is that you can aim properly, unlike L4D where you shoot something in front of you...somewhere. I'm not going to go on about how much i hate it, in a giant rant but i'm just saying that you won't expect me to keep this game for long.

EDIT:
Okay, fuck it. Left 4 Dead is ADDICTIVELY GOOD! sure it'll never be as grippy as NZ due to it's lack of aiming and fucked up game system (Tanks can take down safe room doors, i mean FUCK ME!) but it can still be fun to get the achievements and work with friends. All in all, an okay game besides the old fashioned FPS system and lack of weapon variety.
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
(04-30-2009 04:36 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: Just bought the game and to be honest, it's not fun...25 pounds just to be totally raped by creatures that are not zombies? (seriously, they're not. Zombies can't walk properly, can't run, can't use their tongue to kill you or turn into fat/muscled bastards and beat the crap out of you)

Nobody, at any point, EVER refers to the Infected of L4D as "zombies." Not the box, not the books, not the characters. Question: if they were zombies, would that make getting completely mauled by them more enjoyable to you? :p

Quote:Another benefit of NZ is that you can aim properly, unlike L4D where you shoot something in front of you...somewhere.

Of the four human PCs, only one of them has formal weapons training. If you're expecting a university student and an office worker to be snipers with weapons they've been using for ~2 weeks, you have unrealistic expectations.

Word to the wise: never play a Silent Hill game. The PC's fragility combined with their lack of skill with any kind of weapon and limited firearms selection is sure to frustrate you.

Quote:EDIT:
Okay, fuck it. Left 4 Dead is ADDICTIVELY GOOD!

I completely foresaw this turn around.

Quote:(Tanks can take down safe room doors, i mean FUCK ME!)

>_> No they can't, at least not in any of the builds that I've played.

Quote:but it can still be fun to get the achievements and work with friends. All in all, an okay game besides the old fashioned FPS system and lack of weapon variety.

And again I quote, civilians are generally unskilled with weapons. A town overridden by Infected is not likely to have conveniently stockpiled grenade launchers and magnums like a Resident Evil Title. And, for a game built on the Source engine which is nearing 5 years old, L4D looks and plays spectacularly and easily competes with FPS titles of the current generation of gaming.

My biggest beef with L4D is the playerbase. It seems that every time I want to play online, every 12 year old in the US decides that he wants to come on and say "fuck" a lot. I don't mind 12 year olds that have some grasp of how to do well (taking it slow on campaign, rushing on versus). But 12 year olds who hang back in versus and get smoked and scream their heads of at me for not coming back to save them, generally in a place I cannot reach (ie. near the saferoom in NM2) and then try to kick me from the game piss me off to no end. WORST of all are 12 year olds who have no conception of how to use special Infected in anything remotely resembling effectiveness. By this I mean Smoking from the front, which drags a Survivor CLOSER to the goal, running right into undistracted survivors as a Boomer, Hunting when you're the only special Infected alive, or Tanking an incapped Survivor while the other three circle strafe and team-shoot the shit out of you.

My biggest joy with L4D is how amazingly fun it is to play with good players. I LOVE seeing Boomers stand next to alarmed cars. I love seeing Hunters pounce from extremely far away after a Boomer got two or three survivors while a Smoker grabs one of the others. I love when, as survivors, people choose a variety of weapons instead of taking shotguns the whole way which no longer do the job for taking down a tank. I love when people share healing items, watch your back when you heal, and actually SHOOT when they're incapped to help you out. Most of all, I love when people realize that they're totally fucked and urge you to go on and finish the level without them because saving them only means both of you are toast.
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

(05-05-2009 11:43 PM)senjuro Wrote: Nobody, at any point, EVER refers to the Infected of L4D as "zombies." Not the box, not the books, not the characters. Question: if they were zombies, would that make getting completely mauled by them more enjoyable to you? :p

Yes they have, look at the back of the box art.
[Image: l4d-360-backofbox.jpg]
i read zombies mentioned four times.
Quote:Of the four human PCs, only one of them has formal weapons training. If you're expecting a university student and an office worker to be snipers with weapons they've been using for ~2 weeks, you have unrealistic expectations.
I would at least expect them to aim down the gun sight, if they can do it with the sniper then why not the assault rifle?

Quote:Word to the wise: never play a Silent Hill game. The PC's fragility combined with their lack of skill with any kind of weapon and limited firearms selection is sure to frustrate you.
Thanks for the warning

Quote:>_> No they can't, at least not in any of the builds that I've played.
No Mercy, Rooftops, on the hardest diffculty. Myself, Ghostiemon and some of his friends ran back to the safe room and a tank took the door down. Don't believe me? ask Ghostiemon.

Quote:And again I quote, civilians are generally unskilled with weapons. A town overridden by Infected is not likely to have conveniently stockpiled grenade launchers and magnums like a Resident Evil Title. And, for a game built on the Source engine which is nearing 5 years old, L4D looks and plays spectacularly and easily competes with FPS titles of the current generation of gaming.
Okay, but i don't give a crap for realism. Do you think i would play a game because it's realistic? No! Do you think i would play the game because of it's entertaining gameplay, variety of weapons and powerups, as well as having great interactivity such as sticking knives on rifles or mounting grenade launchers? Yes indeedy!

Quote:My biggest beef with L4D is the playerbase. It seems that every time I want to play online, every 12 year old in the US decides that he wants to come on and say "fuck" a lot. I don't mind 12 year olds that have some grasp of how to do well (taking it slow on campaign, rushing on versus). But 12 year olds who hang back in versus and get smoked and scream their heads of at me for not coming back to save them, generally in a place I cannot reach (ie. near the saferoom in NM2) and then try to kick me from the game piss me off to no end. WORST of all are 12 year olds who have no conception of how to use special Infected in anything remotely resembling effectiveness. By this I mean Smoking from the front, which drags a Survivor CLOSER to the goal, running right into undistracted survivors as a Boomer, Hunting when you're the only special Infected alive, or Tanking an incapped Survivor while the other three circle strafe and team-shoot the shit out of you.

My biggest joy with L4D is how amazingly fun it is to play with good players. I LOVE seeing Boomers stand next to alarmed cars. I love seeing Hunters pounce from extremely far away after a Boomer got two or three survivors while a Smoker grabs one of the others. I love when, as survivors, people choose a variety of weapons instead of taking shotguns the whole way which no longer do the job for taking down a tank. I love when people share healing items, watch your back when you heal, and actually SHOOT when they're incapped to help you out. Most of all, I love when people realize that they're totally fucked and urge you to go on and finish the level without them because saving them only means both of you are toast.
I understand your problem with kids, they can be annoying. Only yesterday i met one showing off his modded controller and me telling him to stop being a fag.
However, as far as team playing goes you generally won't find it from complete strangers. And i think you will find that same team spirit exists in Nazi Zombies, which includes alot more weapons and interactivity then Left 4 Dead, as you actually have to hold out in a building as long as you can.

All i can say is that i think that L4D was a dissapointing title, it is what GTAIV is to Saints Row 2. Yes, it is a classic title and yes the gameplay is quite astonishing for the amount of effort that went into it, but there is a heck of alot more fun to be found in Nazi Zombies.
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
(05-06-2009 04:04 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: Yes they have, look at the back of the box art.

Feh, European boxart. But ya got me there, it does say Zombies.

Quote:I would at least expect them to aim down the gun sight, if they can do it with the sniper then why not the assault rifle?

Realism, I would imagine. Nobody, not even professional marksmen, are 100% accurate 100% of the time.

Quote:>_> No they can't, at least not in any of the builds that I've played.
No Mercy, Rooftops, on the hardest diffculty. Myself, Ghostiemon and some of his friends ran back to the safe room and a tank took the door down. Don't believe me? ask Ghostiemon.[/quote]

Oh, I thought you meant the safe room door at the END of a level. Yes, tanks can take down >that door<, and for good reason: so teams can't turtle and take out a tank without it being a threat to them. Valve is always tweaking stuff to balance the game out.

Quote:Okay, but i don't give a crap for realism. Do you think i would play a game because it's realistic? No! Do you think i would play the game because of it's entertaining gameplay, variety of weapons and powerups, as well as having great interactivity such as sticking knives on rifles or mounting grenade launchers? Yes indeedy!

Games can be entertaining and realistic at the same time. Even fantasy has a basis in reality. Judging from most of what you say in your posts in this forum section, I don't think our taste in games overlaps very much, if at all.

Quote:And i think you will find that same team spirit exists in Nazi Zombies, which includes alot more weapons and interactivity then Left 4 Dead, as you actually have to hold out in a building as long as you can.

Left 4 Dead now includes a survival mode, which is essentially what you describe.

Quote:All i can say is that i think that L4D was a dissapointing title, it is what GTAIV is to Saints Row 2. Yes, it is a classic title and yes the gameplay is quite astonishing for the amount of effort that went into it, but there is a heck of alot more fun to be found in Nazi Zombies.

My only problem there is that you didn't say "in my opinion." Unless I am mistaken, there are very few, if any FPS titles that employ something similar to the AI Director that dynamically changes the game each time you play. Go through most titles of any genre once, and that's enough. The enemies will always be in the same place, the powerups will always be waiting for you in that next room. I mean, hey, if you derive enjoyment from a predictable gaming experience that you can whip through with little to no challenge because you have it memorized, then knock yourself out. L4D is designed such that, even if you DO know all the weapon and item hotspots, you're never guaranteed an easy ride, even on Easy difficulty.

In >MY< opinion, FPS titles that romanticize and endlessly rehash global conflicts are a waste of VG development money that could be going toward developing the next great idea. There hasn't been one in a really long time. All that's on the horizon lately is predominantly sequels with ever-increasing numbers.

Quote:Games can be entertaining and realistic at the same time. Even fantasy has a basis in reality. Judging from most of what you say in your posts in this forum section, I don't think our taste in games overlaps very much, if at all.
You never know, i'm not against Left for Dead completely you know, i just think it could be much better.

Quote:My only problem there is that you didn't say "in my opinion."
No, but i did say "I THINK" therefore highylighting my chain of thought based on little or no fact. However, if that wasn't enough for you Senjuro then i apologise.

Quote:The enemies will always be in the same place, the powerups will always be waiting for you in that next room. I mean, hey, if you derive enjoyment from a predictable gaming experience that you can whip through with little to no challenge because you have it memorized, then knock yourself out.
Well frankly i have so many games and so little gaming time that i hardly find it repetitive at all. Maybe it is for you, seeing as you're probably a faster and better gamer then me but for me if i ever feel like it's getting reptitive or boring, i switch games.

Quote:In >MY< opinion, FPS titles that romanticize and endlessly rehash global conflicts are a waste of VG development money that could be going toward developing the next great idea. There hasn't been one in a really long time. All that's on the horizon lately is predominantly sequels with ever-increasing numbers.
I respect that, and you're right there will be alot of video game title sequels. But how is this a problem? the sequals are likely to be better then the originals, and new games like Halo:ODST and Diablo 3 are coming out so whats changed?
Also, could you give me some examples of FPS that romanticise conflicts or other events that you find to be a waste of money? i only ask so i can just verify your statement about us not sharing the same interests in video games.
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
(05-06-2009 05:05 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: You never know, i'm not against Left for Dead completely you know, i just think it could be much better.

Games can ALWAYS be better. Just the improvements you're suggesting are not the ones I would think to add. To me, L4D doesn't need more guns...it needs more maps! And the AI needs to use pipe bombs/molotovs

Quote:No, but i did say "I THINK" therefore highylighting my chain of thought based on little or no fact. However, if that wasn't enough for you Senjuro then i apologise.

No, I apologize for that one. I came off like an ass there. I'm sorry.

Quote:Well frankly i have so many games and so little gaming time that i hardly find it repetitive at all. Maybe it is for you, seeing as you're probably a faster and better gamer then me but for me if i ever feel like it's getting reptitive or boring, i switch games.

Ya got me there. I do have an abundance of free time and spend that vast majority of it gaming. I do tend to plow through non-RPG titles pretty quickly. Unless it provided a really fun experience for me to go through (like Dead Rising), I probably won't play through it many more times, if at all (like Assassin's Creed).

Quote:I respect that, and you're right there will be alot of video game title sequels. But how is this a problem? the sequals are likely to be better then the originals, and new games like Halo:ODST and Diablo 3 are coming out so whats changed?

You can only milk a franchise for so long until it ceases being profitable, as Nintendo is discovering. :p Franchises and genres need to be revamped every so often before they become stale. Platformers and fighting games became 3D; FPS games became multiplayer; RPG's became MMO's. Everything is always changing. We're just kind of in limbo until that next big revolutionary change happens. (Guess what, Nintendo? The Wii was NOT that big revolutionary change we were hoping for...)

Quote:Also, could you give me some examples of FPS that romanticise conflicts or other events that you find to be a waste of money? i only ask so i can just verify your statement about us not sharing the same interests in video games.

For example, the Medal of Honor games. They take the premise of, say, WWI, and borrow some of the events from it. Then you play through a series of extremely important moments during that conflict, as one person, changing the course of events. The whole "one person changing the world" thing is part of the reason why I'm so disenchanted with RPGs right now. Call it me being a jaded 25 year old, but 6 kids going up against an empire and successfully taking it down is too ludicrous for me to stomach. Similarly, one super soldier, no matter how super, cannot possibly hope to bring down an entire race/faction of enemies. And yet they do...every time.

My problem with the genre is more how formulaic they all are, in both thematic material and in gameplay. It's always one person against the world, coming out victorious in the end.

Part of what I enjoyed so much of L4D was that feeling of, "Okay...so I escaped. But what am I escaping to?" I win, I beat the game, yes. But did the victory accomplish anything? Not really. That's what I like about it. The game offers no delusions of grandeur. It's refreshing.