Join our server on Discord

Division
I've got a civil serice exam for the fire department coming up and I'm having trouble understanding a math problem in the book I'm studying.

Percentage; Whole = Part ÷ % · 100
Whole = (16 ÷ 47) x 100
Whole = (0.34) x 100 = 34

Now I won't be able to use a calculator on the test, so what I'm needing to know is how to do 16/47 on paper. That's the part that's got me stumped pretty much; how to do that kind of division (if there's a name for it, I'm afraid I don't know it)

Any help would be much appreciated.
Hmm.... I can half explain this, but this is one of those concepts in which the Handwriting tool in MSN Messenger is actually worth something. If you can meet me at a time, I can work you then.
[Image: crimson_brilliance010-albums-my-deshackl...mation.gif]

[Image: crimson_brilliance010-albums-my-deshackl...tion-2.gif]
The OCA
(01-08-2009 01:56 PM)BigD Wrote: I've got a civil serice exam for the fire department coming up and I'm having trouble understanding a math problem in the book I'm studying.

Percentage; Whole = Part ÷ % · 100
Whole = (16 ÷ 47) x 100
Whole = (0.34) x 100 = 34

Now I won't be able to use a calculator on the test, so what I'm needing to know is how to do 16/47 on paper. That's the part that's got me stumped pretty much; how to do that kind of division (if there's a name for it, I'm afraid I don't know it)

Any help would be much appreciated.

It's called longhand division. I have forgotten the finer specifics of it, but it actually involves a lot of work, so find a way to learn it and practive as much as you can. Take up Crim on the offer!

Believe in yourself! Not you who believe in me, not me, who believes in you.
Believe in you, who believes in yourself!
- Kamina of the Dai Gurren Brigade
(01-08-2009 10:50 PM)Crim Wrote: Hmm.... I can half explain this, but this is one of those concepts in which the Handwriting tool in MSN Messenger is actually worth something. If you can meet me at a time, I can work you then.

Is this how it goes:

[Image: Division.jpg]

I asked the question on another forum and someone put that up.
First of all you need to check if the problem has any LCD, if their is a way to get to an LCD of 100 or 1000 you really don't need to do any long division, all your really doing is pumping out a number a fraction of a number and moving decimal points.

16/47 =x/100 Thats what you have to do rather then long division. It may be easier...and cross multiply

16/47 =x/100
47x =16000
x=16000/47
x=34.04
x= about (34%)

and for those that want to try "guess and check." This only works with numbers close to numbers of 5 and of 0. You take a risk but you could do this to see if your answer falls between this.

16/47
9/40 = 18/80 [[]] 20/50 = 40/100
18/80 = 23% [[]] 40/100 = 40%

This is called the middle check. It shows you that the number of your answer should fall between 23% and 40%.

Another thing you want to do to see if you have an LCD. In the problem you do. Its 2. If you want to see where your number is close to look at this.

16/47 (2) = 32/94 and your answer is so close to the 30's that your answer should lay in between the following.
32/9431
28/90 ]][[ 38/100
28/90= 31% ]][[ 38/100=38%

And there you go. Pretty much another way to show your answer. Its really weird but you could only do this to find out where your answer is inbetween. This is if you need to go and do something fast. You have the high and the low percent and you just go for the higher percent because you are covered.

I hope both methods aren't confusing. ;3
~Gabu

Live life and let live.

2 years on the DaD
Gabumon Loverz Group Trooper
DMAW moderarator
Art Section Mod
Muse of many talents
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds
(01-09-2009 03:20 AM)BigD Wrote:
(01-08-2009 10:50 PM)Crim Wrote: Hmm.... I can half explain this, but this is one of those concepts in which the Handwriting tool in MSN Messenger is actually worth something. If you can meet me at a time, I can work you then.

Is this how it goes:

[Image: Division.jpg]

I asked the question on another forum and someone put that up.

Yes, that is long division. Don't know why it's called "long" but yeah. But whether or not the math is right depends on if it's 16 or 160?

(01-09-2009 10:26 AM)blueeyedgabulvo0o Wrote: I hope both methods aren't confusing. ;3

Too bad! They kinda are, lol.
[Image: crimson_brilliance010-albums-my-deshackl...mation.gif]

[Image: crimson_brilliance010-albums-my-deshackl...tion-2.gif]
The OCA
But atleast they are correct ;3 XDDD *Laughs* Problem solving in College I would have loved. :P
~Gabu

Live life and let live.

2 years on the DaD
Gabumon Loverz Group Trooper
DMAW moderarator
Art Section Mod
Muse of many talents
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Creative Minds