Join our server on Discord

Best Video Game Deaths!
(12-07-2008 02:02 AM)Guilmon and a shotgun Wrote: Unlike you i prefer game deaths with a message other then "ha ha you/your friend(s) are dead, now you get to watch yourself die.".

If you haven't played the game, then you have little context to base your judgement on. Adrienne is seeing past events of the house that she and her husband bought in the country side so she could get away from civilization to write her book (Shining style). The man in the visions isn't killing his wives because he wants to: he's motivated by demonic possession to kill each wife based on what it is about her that annoys him most: her incessant gardening, her gluttony, her drinking, her nagging, and so on. The purpose of seeing these is so the player can figure out what's happening to Adrienne's husband before Adrienne herself does and become frustrated at the limited actions she can perform that inevitably lead her to a direct confrontation with the demon posessing her husband.

Quote:COD4 for instance, gave the player the chance to try and flee from the Nuclear blast detonated by Al Assad which i think gave a noticeable message about nuclear weapons and terrorism. This was a good ending because it gave the player the illusion that they could escape.

Yeah, I've seen that scene before, and it is very well executed.

Quote:I don't really care about how realistic the violence is in your game Senjuro, nor how good the make up was. You are right, mine may have no features better then yours, but at least it had a message other then "Boo motherfucker, now you die.".

If a game doesn't reward/punish you for dying with a gory cinematic, then it's missing a great opporunity to garner some shock value.

Quote:I criticize games, yes, but that's because i don't like them.

If you don't like games, then why do you play them? They're supposed to be a source of entertainment. If all you have for them is criticism, you should read books, instead. They tend to hold up better against a degree of scrutiny than videogames tend to - even ones with enormously high production values.

Anyway, you seem to be vastly outnumbered in this thread by people who prefer/enjoy gore and violence. Again, this is a video game deaths thread; blood and gore are par for the course.

And yes, Crimson Fox, the Fallout messy kills are hilarious. I remember, the first time I left Arroyo in Fallout 2, my first encounter was a group of farmers and guys in Power Armor. I was like, "Uh...shit?" And then they blew away the farmers, children included and I was like, "Ummm...killing children in a video game? Am I on crack?"

I remember at a later date, Vic tried to snipe an enemy but ended up critically shooting a child in the eyes for an obscene amount of damage, and then I got labeled as a child killer.
FCWm2afrw A-- C- D H+ M P+ R+ W Z Sm++ RLET$/M$ a c++w e+++ f h+ i++ j+ p+ sm+

Forgive my lack of detail Senj, i meant i criticized games that i didn't like for example Juiced was THE worst racing game i had played in a while. Sometimes i get pissed at some game aspects, but i usually settle down and enjoy them after a while E.G COD4's martyrdom perk.

And i don't like to be shocked in games, it's irritating rather then entertaining. I prefer to go around, shooting shooting shooting until either A. i win or B. I win...uh i mean i die.

Plus, i don't think that deaths NEED to be bloody and violent...you could always do the death without the player seeing too much of the NPC's internal organs being splattered everywhere like diuretic spaghetti.
UnknownH Wrote:We do have soap and smarter doctors now
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
But where's the fun in that?

Case in point: compare the following.

Pretty similar Baraka fatalities, the first from MK vs. DCU, the second from Mortal Kombat Deception. The first one is okay, until we see what the second was like, and then we start thinking: "Okay, we have a character who has inherently deadly anatomy (blades that protrude from his arms). How can his finishing moves be anything but a slice-and-dice-a-thon?" I know that Mortal Kombat characters tend to fly apart pretty easily (ie. punching someone's head off), but when you give the gamer that expectation and suddenly fail to deliver, gamers wonder what the hell happened.

If you don't think deaths need to be bloody and violent in combat situations, then you need to watch some violent movies/documentaries to see what people are capable of doing to each other. "Saving Private Ryan" is a great place to start. The Normandy beach landing scene is about 15 minutes of really uncomfortable violence that, according to my father who's a Viet Nam veteran, is a somewhat romanticized but roughly accurate version of what armed conflict is really like.

If you don't like feeling uncomfortable with the concept of people being killed, then stick with your E-for-everyone titles where characters just fall offscreen making a face when time elapses, they run out of energy, or what have you. Games are creating an expectation now that when you fail, you get treated to what game designers think is an apt punishment: your character getting pwned in a violent fashion.

Do VG deaths need to be bloody and violent? No, but there is an expectation among gamers for them to be and developers like to deliver. If you have a problem with it, go e-mail ex-Disney animator Don Bluth, who animated the 1983 arcade hit "Dragon's Lair". That was probably the first time your character was shown actually dying when you failed. Or failing that, you could always e-mail Ed Boon, co-creator of Mortal Kombat, which really started the whole "if you lose you must die" mentality in the gaming industry.

Anyway, stop hijacking the thread that's supposed to be about video game deaths by trying to argue your opinion about the validity of violence in video games. If you want to hash it out, put up a thread in debates but it DOES NOT belong here.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=wKHqIRVE7iU :3

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=ybLj-XWk4hk&feature=related (Fatal Frame, the Blind Ritual)

The first one is more like the guy is already dead, but still cool!

The second one gives meaning to the phrase: "My eyes!"
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
(12-07-2008 10:32 AM)senjuro Wrote: But where's the fun in that?
The fun is that i don't have to regurgitate my breakfast, lunch and dinner combined with my stomach acid because a games designer got bored of the same old death scenes.
and for the record, I'M NOT WATCHING THOSE.

Also, i have seen Private Ryan and i must say that it was THE most pointless war film i've ever seen. Dunkirk 1940 something was the most retarded military strategy ever, mainly because it didn't work.
I would have happily accepted a little bit of plot exaggeration, you know like bombers dropping tanks onto German bunkers and squashing the Nazi's within with a ton of concrete weighed down by a big rumbling titanic war machine. Then they find Ryan, swigging Russian vodka with two french maiden girls and saying to the rest of the blokes "I'm not coming home to my wife, I've got two local ladies who serve me rather then yell at me and beat me with a rolling pin" and the film just ends saying "War is like gambling. Its just not fun if you don't win."

Pearl Harbor had plot exaggeration, and i fricking LOVED it! fitting big bombers on top of an aircraft carrier (which would have never flown off it realistically) and then blowing the shit out of a country who got just a little cocky.
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
Quote:Also, i have seen Private Ryan and i must say that it was THE most pointless war film i've ever seen.

Aww, don't say that. That movie gave some people the idea for a cool, bloody, gorey and randomly huge and conflictive scenario in Conker's Bad Fur Day! I mean WHO DOES NOT WANT TO SCREW TEDDY BEARS UP THE ASS WITH A MACHINE-GUN?! Make them explode with bloody stuffing <3 <3 <3

I don't like teddies.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Honestly deaths don't have to be gorey, and many games (famous ones) are T for teen and does not have lots and lots of blood. The second clip the guy was spewing more blood than his body could have POSSIBLY had room for even if the organs and everything else was taken out JUST for the blood. I don't mind realistic amounts of blood at all however.
Tediz.... everywhere.

Chaos from the Original Final Fantasy. Very advanced for the NES.
[Image: WalkingEye-1.jpg]

No super-villain can resist the temptation of a Walking Eye.
The OCA
"Oh my god it's that bloody squirrel, Quick into character!!!"

Heh you're right DMX, both Conker's version and the original were funny in parts...like when the American and the German run out of bullets and just throw their helmets off each other.

But aside the funny bits, it wasn't as good as most war films that i have seen. My favorite type of war film would be one where soldiers trample down an apposing force with big heavy Mechsuits, yelling curses out of megaphones attached to the shoulder pod and winning. Of course, this kind of film has never been made as far as i know, but i can still hope; I don't like films where war's realism is always highlighted, because it's almost as if it's nagging me to not kill anyone. Fair enough it's a good idea, but i KNOW i don't need to kill anyone; i don't need the nagging, i just want to increase my serotonin concentration by watching huge explosions and watching cool kills. Films are for entertainment, not "nag nag nag nag nag educational subliminal messaging" shoved in the plot.
Yay!
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
In Midway's last Mortal Kombat creation that was any good - Deception - they introduced a new way for your opponent to die. Fatalities were there, as always, and they had added in insta-kill deathtraps in Deadly Alliance. Midway decided it might be fun for the defeated opponent to contribute to their demise by adding "Hara kiri" (腹切り) moves. Not to be taken literally as depictions of stomach-slashing ritual suicide as dictated by bushido honour code, it was basically an opportunity for your character to do a fatality on themselves before the enemy got a chance to do anything to them.

Some of them a pretty clean and fit well (ie. Scorpion breaking his own neck, ninja style). Some wouldn't even kill you and would only cause you to suffer more than you really would like to (ie. Tanya ripping out bones in her own shins and jamming them into her eyes). And then, there's this one, which is just fucking hilarious.