Join our server on Discord

... Really, Citramon?!
Yeah, I just saw a few episodes of Digimon Data Squad (yeah, I'm a little latent with Data Squad, compared to everything other incarnation of Digimon, mostly because of the erratic scheduling Toon Disney has), and... when I saw the big Orange monster chucking suspiciously 'green' orbs that explode, it got me to realizing that Citramon was none other than BomberNanimon digitally colored orange, and his bombs digitally colored green. Toon Disney butchered it, just becuase of a few bombs! I mean, how to you tie in "juice" to "fireworks that go 'BOOM'!"? Are they THAT out of touch with reality to completely change a Digimon's appearance AGAIN (Revolvermon becoming 'Deputymon', not as bad, but the point remains)?!

Yeah, so 9/11 happened, and I don't have a heart of stone, but COME ON!!! It's not like we can't handle a few exploding orbs! We can handle a fire-breathing dinosaur, and Garurumon using his teeth and claws on Marcus... but not a few explosives?!

Maybe I'm just too desensitized, or they're just too sensitive.
I live in Canada so I have to watch it on the week ends. The schedual for me is so fucking painful as I have to wake up at like 7 after going to bed at 2. Both in the morning. And only one episode per week on sunday and Saturday is a reshowing the the previos sunday show.
[Image: seifer.jpg]

FCF2adw A+ C- D- H M- P- R+ T++++ W->+ Z Sm++ RL- a- c++++w d--->++ e-->+ f-- h*>+++ i++>+++ j+>+++ p+ sms>+
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
Gabumon Loverz
Creative Minds
Yeah. That was the channel not the dubbers that did it. Check With the Will for all the information. And it was a very clever edit for a very unimportant episode.
Jesus calm down, Waru! It's just a little edit, and for an actually GOOD reason.

After 9/11, anything to do with bombs or blowing up via explosives, or causing massive destruction with explosives, just won't fly in the US, so they changed it to Citramon. Not that much of a big deal, considering that in the other 4 seasons, FAILkidsTV edited every single episode a minimum of 3 times, with usually major edits and cutting out scenes that depicted even the smallest amount of violence.

A fire-breathing dinosaur, or claws/fangs is nothing compared to blowing up things with explosives. Physical violence isn't a big deal, as most cartoons have lots of violence nowadays, but if Stuiopolis (the people dubbing Data Squad) had kept it as BomberNanimon, they would probably get their asses beat for depicting blowing up things in an anime, in that sort of way. (doing it destructively)

Data Squad is superior to the other english dub seasons, I don't care about little edits like these.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
I'm not flipping out. I just find it insulting that people are still so damn sensitive about the subject. The people who died back then, I can fully sympathize. The World Trade Center being decimated, I can completely understand. But explosives? They might as well edit any two towers that are suspiciously close enough to resemble the Twin Towers, if they're going to be this silly.

OH OH! Or how about they take it further, and recall Devimon 'Darkmon' again. Or Daemon/Demon 'Creepymon'. Or maybe they can rename Beelzemon 'Bikermon'. Would YOU be ok with that (some name changes are cool, don't get me wrong, but the above are NOT)?!

As for 4Kids... you're talking about them as if they're the most shining example of what it means to be a dubbing franchise. To do the surgical work they do means that have absolutely no respect for the medium.

And maybe it's me, but I find a giant black wolf that's right in my face, so close that you can feel the heat of its breath on you, trying to chew me up like Beef Jerky a LITTLE more scarier than a few bombs. And as for "physical violence not being a big deal"... was THAT why they always edited Tai and Matt's fist fights into a non-contact, flash-filled, goofy sfx-fest, or when they chopped up the scenes when MaloMyotismon beat up Arukenimon to near-death, or when they altered when Beelzemon impaled Leomon in the chest with his own claw? They MUST not find violence a big deal if they did that (sarcasm).

Oh, and for curiosity sake, not being an ass (which I'm not trying to be for this topic, mind you) ... did they cut out when Agumon kicked Marcus in the balls? I didn't see Data Squad that early on.
(11-21-2008 08:49 AM)Waru Wrote: I'm not flipping out. I just find it insulting that people are still so damn sensitive about the subject. The people who died back then, I can fully sympathize. The World Trade Center being decimated, I can completely understand. But explosives? They might as well edit any two towers that are suspiciously close enough to resemble the Twin Towers, if they're going to be this silly.
Well, people(*cough* Government, military, ect*cough*) would be pissed off at an anime company if they did not change that.

(11-21-2008 08:49 AM)Waru Wrote: OH OH! Or how about they take it further, and recall Devimon 'Darkmon' again. Or Daemon/Demon 'Creepymon'. Or maybe they can rename Beelzemon 'Bikermon'. Would YOU be ok with that (some name changes are cool, don't get me wrong, but the above are NOT)?!
Those are just bullshit, but really. ONE NAME was changed! Would it be fitting if a giant orange was called "BomberNanimon" ? Not at all.

(11-21-2008 08:49 AM)Waru Wrote: As for 4Kids... you're talking about them as if they're the most shining example of what it means to be a dubbing franchise. To do the surgical work they do means that have absolutely no respect for the medium.
No, I am NOT talking about them like that. 4KidsTV did not dub Data Squad. A company called "Studiopolis" dubbed it, watched over by Toei Animation themselves.

(11-21-2008 08:49 AM)Waru Wrote: And maybe it's me, but I find a giant black wolf that's right in my face, so close that you can feel the heat of its breath on you, trying to chew me up like Beef Jerky a LITTLE more scarier than a few bombs. And as for "physical violence not being a big deal"... was THAT why they always edited Tai and Matt's fist fights into a non-contact, flash-filled, goofy sfx-fest, or when they chopped up the scenes when MaloMyotismon beat up Arukenimon to near-death, or when they altered when Beelzemon impaled Leomon in the chest with his own claw? They MUST not find violence a big deal if they did that (sarcasm).
Dude, that's 4KIDS, not STUDIOPOLIS. If 4KidsTV got Data Squad, they would cut out every single fighting scene, or any scene where Marcus punched anything. They'd cut out any little trace of violence.

(11-21-2008 08:49 AM)Waru Wrote: Oh, and for curiosity sake, not being an ass (which I'm not trying to be for this topic, mind you) ... did they cut out when Agumon kicked Marcus in the balls? I didn't see Data Squad that early on.
Yes, they did cut that out. They just made him kick and made a red flash or something like that.

You've gotta understand that Digimon is on Jetix, which is a cartoon channel aimed at kids ages 5-12. If they see all this fighting and violence on TV, they'd be a lot more likely to go out and do it in real life.

Not to sound like Jack Thompson here, but I don't think they'd want a bunch of angry people threatening to get their torches and pitchforks and picket outside Studiopolis' building, because they depicted massive destruction via explosives in one of their cartoons.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
I thought Citramon was by far one of the more clever edits, really, a much more original concept than BomberNanimon. If it hadn't been for Thomas's "I have to do something or he'll flood the whole park with juice" line, they might've gotten away with it without looking conspicuous.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Angewomon's Lover... 4Kids NEVER touched Digimon. Period! You're thinking of Saban Entertainment.

And I DO suppose, Citramon aside, Studiopolis is doing a good job, from what I can recall.
(11-21-2008 05:38 PM)Waru Wrote: And I DO suppose, Citramon aside, Studiopolis is doing a good job, from what I can recall.

Yes, they are doing a great job with dubbing:

-Painting over japanese signs with english text
-NOT cutting out violence
-NOT making a million lame, stupid jokes in the script
-NOT screwing up the plot
-NOT re-using the same music from the last seasons
-Actually making it seem like the show is set in japan. (If I do recall, the other seasons were in Japan too, but they were dubbed shittily and the characters would talk and make references as if they were in the USA)
-Even going so far as to translate japanese expressions into english. (IE, one part where in the Japanese version, the characters say "Itadakimasu" before eating, which translates to "Thanks for the food", which is what they said in the English version of that episode! <3 )
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
What!? I love that old digimon song. It's got that techno music that I like.

Um if I do remember correctly didn't the 4th season of digimon is the only one who got a different theme song?
I'm more active in FA and DA now. Click here to look at my gallery!
The Sabre Clan
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
Creative Minds
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)