Join our server on Discord

Young no more
Last night, I purchased AC/DC's newest album, Black Ice. Despite relatively bad reviews, I decided to give it a shot. I noticed that the music wasn't as fast paced or angry as some of their older works. Just to point it out, Angus Young is, like, 60 years old. He aint Young no more. The demented schoolboy was bound to slow down at some point.

That being said, it was an enjoyable album to listen to. I'm not going to break down the album song by song, like Wisemon does. I'll let him do that. However, I will give you the Highlight Reel.

Track One - Rock N Roll Train: at first, I was disappointed by this track. But, after listening to it a few times, it's grown on me. Its one of those songs, where the more you listen to it, the better it gets.

Track Five - War Machine: in my opinion, the best song on the album. The rolling bassline can be heard, and the lyrics remind me of their younger, angrier days. I listened to this track when I walked to the convience store earlier, and it made me feel like an instant badass. One of my friends and fellow board members here(you know who you are) showed a strong dislike for this song. I guess taste varies. I love this song.

Track Seven - Spoilin' For A Fight: pretty standard AC/DC. A pretty good song about pickin' fights. The guitar is well played, and the pounding bassline isn't overpowering. The solo is pretty good, too. Kinda makes me want to air guitar it.

Track 15 - Black Ice: one of the more fast-paced songs, if you can call it that. Another song that's good for pumping you up. The riffs are enjoyable, and Brian Johnson's howl-like singing makes the song. The solo is a little faster than the others, which I enjoy.

Overall, the album is pretty good. If you expect the old style of AC/DC, with Angus just flat-out wailing on the guitar, you'll be disappointed. That being said, they could have mixed the album a little better. Unless you have your stereo at Wide-Open Throttle, you'll barely hear him.

I rate this CD 6.7/10. A good album, rather enjoyable, but, they're a little too old to kick it like they used to.
The last mutt standing.

The one and only, Cowboy from Hell.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I reach the other side, 
I can show him what it feels like to die.

Bury me with my guns on,
So when I'm cast out of the skies,
I can shoot the Devil right between the eyes.
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
Interesting. Nice review. I also would like to see if Wise has an opinion.
Yeah, good review, don't have the album, but I've heard snippets here and there recently. I'll agree with you on AC/DC not being as talented as they used to be. I find their songs to be passable, sometimes enjoyable, but I've never been much of a fan. Their lyrics are mostly stereotypical 70s rock band, the voice is original, but not right, and the guitar-work, while memorable and riffy, can't be that difficult if every high schooler with a guitar can play it. They also don't change their style or experiment, which is why I'm assuming this album is more of the same.

Edit: See below.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
In my own oppinion I like the tracks like TNT, Shoot to thrill and Back in black from the older times. One of the most popular shows in Argentina plays Shoot to thrill as its default theme opening, for example and it catches the attention of many.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Wise, Angus Young isn't lead vocals. The serrated steel vocal chords belong to a man named Brian Johnson.
The last mutt standing.

Bury me with my guns on,

Bury me with my guns on,
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
(10-27-2008 03:16 AM)Cowboy From Hell Wrote: Wise, Angus Young isn't lead vocals. The serrated steel vocal chords belong to a man named Brian Johnson.
Then who's the guy who replaced the dead guy? Shows how much I know/care about AC/DC.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Brian Johnson.

Bon Scott, the original lead singer died in 1979 due to a rather unfortunate drunk driving incident. Later that year, they recruited Brian Johnson, and in 1980, they released Back In Black, to show the world, while they missed Bon, they wouldn't let that stop them.

...this shows how much of an AC/DC fan I am.
The last mutt standing.

Bury me with my guns on,

Bury me with my guns on,
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan