Join our server on Discord

What if Digimon had been an adult anime?
This just popped into my head at work today and I think it's an interesting muse. What if Digimon had been an adult anime along the lines of Tenchi Muyo...or even La Blue Girl (the only two adult anime's I've actually seen)? Would it have been better/worse, would it be even more popular, how would the stories have changed, etc?

I think the show would have had more emotional conflicts (imagine all the fuss we've seen over Daikari vs TkKari being on TV), the romances that were just hinted at would have probably been more visible, and the battles would have probably been more brutal (Primary Village and digimon reformating would have probably been cut out). Frankly, I almost wish the creators had gone that route, as the show would have been, in my opinion, better and something a lot of people could empathize with.

One of the main reasons I read digimon fanfics is because since they aren't bound by the show's ratings, we get to see a more in depth look at the characters and conflicts. If you ask me, an adult anime version of digimon would have opened the door to a lot of things we've read in the fanfiction community.
To answer your first paragraph, it depends on the areas it's aired. I'm gonna remain silent on SPECIFIC details that might harm people's feelings or nationalism (If that's even a word), but let's just lay it down in an example based on easy comparisons:

Adults don't watch lots of TV, they are busy, and have busy lives, whereas children don't have anything at all to do in most places, which means that, if Digimon were to have been aired in places where children don't have usual access to watching TV in a conditioned air time for the supposed Adult Digimon, then their popularity would drastically have dropped in terms of rating.

Sure, to people like us, this would be rather appealing and we'd like it a lot more, but if you think about it twice: Kids fuel the ratings. Popularity wouldn't be as great.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
It would have been less popular. For one thing, it wouldn't have received the large American audience that it did. For another, the plot would have been built around sexual eventualities, which wouldn't have been nearly as good. Mostly though, the visual gratification can never be as good as we imagine. It's better to leave the tension in the air.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Oh, please, just think of having to think up of the many different kinks and sexual features the drawers would have to think about! Unless they would actually narrow it to only having the digidestined and their digimon partners AND tentacle-rape situations.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
"Adult" Anime? More violent. H-anime? More sex and sexually violent.
That's pretty much it. And adult would mean anything that would have to be aired at a certain time. We know it as 11 the English and possibly some of Europe, know it as the "watershed". One episode of the Simpsons is supposed to air during that time this season.
(09-22-2008 02:21 PM)UnknownH Wrote: "Adult" Anime? More violent. H-anime? More sex and sexually violent.
That's pretty much it. And adult would mean anything that would have to be aired at a certain time. We know it as 11 the English and possibly some of Europe, know it as the "watershed". One episode of the Simpsons is supposed to air during that time this season.

Actually, the watershed is at 9pm in most English-speaking (including the UK) country AFAICT. In NZ, it's 8:30. it's 10pm in several countries, but I lack data to give a good evaluation, but 11-12pm watersheds appear to be a minority (at least for countries that do have a watershed to begin with).
"Mental Note: The guys you think are gay are normally straight, even thought they'll make out with you if they've had enough to drink." JJriddler

"If Jeri says you're cute, you're CUTE. " Renafan
Hmm, perhaps if it were gorey like Elfen-Lied, Hellsing or Gantz. OOH, Or maybe Higurashi, only with Digimon, and the Uber Sexy mon that people love. There'd probably be more... Inuendo. And maybe a little "Digimon Bathing with Kids" Scenes.
[Image: self_centered_coyote_by_kerol-d2zmoca.png]
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
Creative Minds
Gabumon Loverz
Lady Devimon's Minions
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
The Sabre Clan
Veemon's Followers
Thank you Cireus. I knew someone here knew what it was.
The reason why it is a "Children's Anime" ( actually it is a lot more mature than some of those "Adult" ones at time ) is because it is also a marketing vehicle for toys, games etc.

So I reall don't think that Bandai would want that.

And making it all sex, gore and rape would pretty much suck.
Franz: Yes, Touma, I raped your mother. I also rape Relena daily! But in turn I get raped by your grandmother!
Touma: Father, this is disturbing. Gaomon! Time for your daily rape!
Gaomon: Yes, Master!

Also imagine how chopped up the Dub would be. Some stupid company would perhaps take it and try to make an Anime for Children...
Quote:Touma: Father, this is disturbing. Gaomon! Time for your daily rape!
Gaomon: Yes, Master!
What, no tea first? Yeah, like the majority here have been saying, adult Digimon from the outset, especially wholly rape-based, would not have been such a great idea.

Quote:There'd probably be more... Inuendo. And maybe a little "Digimon Bathing with Kids" Scenes.
More innuendo, say along the lines of Inuyasha or Neon Genesis Evangelion, would not have been such a bad idea. There was some, if you Freuded enough, but more would've been welcome.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against