Join our server on Discord

Favorite Game System?
I think we had a thread a while back about our first game consoles we ever played so I'll post this new question to you all. What is your favorite gaming system?

It doesn't matter which generation it is, from the Atari 2600 to the modern systems, just pick one and list some reasons why if you wish.

My favorite system would have to be the SNES. I've always been a big fan of 2-D gaming and the Super Nintendo did it quite well. The games were colorful, had some good music, and were overall fun. The game library was rather wide as well with games like Contra III, Chrono Trigger, and F-Zero just to name a few examples. The controller was pretty well designed too, it had just the right amount of buttons and a good D-pad. Alright, let's hear from the rest of you now.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
I'll have to agree with ya there. SNES blew Genesis out of the water and just kicked ass in general. Tons and tons of classic games on it, like Yoshi's Island, Mortal Kombat II, SMW just to name a few when I was a kid :P

Makes me laugh because, back in the 90's, Sega was all "Sega DOES what Nintendon't" crap, just because Genesis had a processor that was a little faster. But who had the better games? Who managed to out-power and out-sell the Genesis WITHOUT stupid add-ons like the CD and the 32x? :P An example of it would be Doom, which was on SNES and 32x. The sound and music on the 32x was absolutely horrible, while the SNES was kickass. And also, for some reason, the 32x version of Doom had only half the levels. Odd.
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Nintendo and Sega. Although the Playstation does/did have good games sometimes.
(09-19-2008 09:08 PM)Angewomons_Lover Wrote: I'll have to agree with ya there. SNES blew Genesis out of the water and just kicked ass in general. Tons and tons of classic games on it, like Yoshi's Island, Mortal Kombat II, SMW just to name a few when I was a kid :P

Makes me laugh because, back in the 90's, Sega was all "Sega DOES what Nintendon't" crap, just because Genesis had a processor that was a little faster. But who had the better games? Who managed to out-power and out-sell the Genesis WITHOUT stupid add-ons like the CD and the 32x? :P An example of it would be Doom, which was on SNES and 32x. The sound and music on the 32x was absolutely horrible, while the SNES was kickass. And also, for some reason, the 32x version of Doom had only half the levels. Odd.

Even though the SNES is my favorite system, the Genesis was excellent in its own right.

The Genesis came out two years before the SNES in America and was the best thing on the market at the time with 16-bit graphics which blew away the 8-bit offerings Atari and Nintendo were putting out at the time. Streets of Rage 2, Ristar, and the Sonic games (ignoring Sonic 3D Blast) were just some of the examples of excellent games you could only get on Sega's system.

That advertising campaign originated from Nintendo's censorship policies at the time which most notably screwed up the original Mortal Kombat for SNES buyers with its lack of blood and gore. Sega took the opportunity to advertise the Genesis as the "edgy" system. Once Nintendo's censorship policies were lightened later on however, there wasn't really much stopping the SNES from dominating with their better third party support.

I actually have a Sega CD from when stores were trying to get rid at them at bargain bin prices and yes, it sucks...it sucks hard...except for Sonic CD which was the last awesome 2D Sonic game and Silpheed which was a pretty fun space shooter. Haven't played the 32X, but I hear the only good game was something called Knuckles Chaotix. And yes, from what I've seen they did screw up the Doom port compared to the SNES version, but the Genesis was a good system as a whole. (To be fair, both versions were inferior to the PC version which had all the levels and the floor graphics retained.)

As a side note, Nintendo released their fair share of crummy add-ons and peripherals too for the SNES. Phillips CD-X anyone?

(09-21-2008 02:15 PM)UnknownH Wrote: Nintendo and Sega. Although the Playstation does/did have good games sometimes.

Agreed. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night kicks ass.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions
The Philips systems do not count and did not exist. Like the Virtual Boy.
That's CD-I, Crimson, and Nintendo did not make it, Phillips did. They just licensed Phillips to make a Mario game, and three Zelda games on it. All four of which, sucked horribly. Sure the cutscenes are hilarious(MAH BOI! THIS PEACE IS WHAT ALL TRUE WARRIORS STRIVE FOR! or I WONDER WHAT'S FOR DINNER? :P) but the games were short and horribly simple.

I mean, Genesis wasn't HORRIBLE, but I like SNES better. Sure, I still have all of my Genesis games, too. Sonic 1&2 + S&K, ToeJam n' Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron, Golden Axe, DINOSAURS for HIRE, Cool Spot, Lemmings, Ecco the Dolphin...<3 Now if only my Genesis actually worked...*sigh*
Gabumon Loverz
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
(09-22-2008 02:16 PM)UnknownH Wrote: The Philips systems do not count and did not exist. Like the Virtual Boy.

That's a relief. Now I know that horrible Virtual Boy sitting in the back of my closet doesn't exist.

(09-22-2008 08:27 PM)Angewomons_Lover Wrote: That's CD-I, Crimson, and Nintendo did not make it, Phillips did. They just licensed Phillips to make a Mario game, and three Zelda games on it. All four of which, sucked horribly. Sure the cutscenes are hilarious(MAH BOI! THIS PEACE IS WHAT ALL TRUE WARRIORS STRIVE FOR! or I WONDER WHAT'S FOR DINNER? :P) but the games were short and horribly simple.

I mean, Genesis wasn't HORRIBLE, but I like SNES better. Sure, I still have all of my Genesis games, too. Sonic 1&2 + S&K, ToeJam n' Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron, Golden Axe, DINOSAURS for HIRE, Cool Spot, Lemmings, Ecco the Dolphin...<3 Now if only my Genesis actually worked...*sigh*

Oh, well in any case those games Phillips made were a mockery of what Mario and Zelda games are supposed to be. Those cut scenes make me cringe...TOASTERS!

That's crummy about your Genesis. Mine has been busted for a while too because of a faulty power adapter.
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions