Join our server on Discord

What a dilemma
I've been doing research into how deep fire departments go into your records (including your medical records) and I'm in a bad position. One website created by a fire chief in California says that if they (the fire department) finds any information that you didn't tell them, it could be grounds for immediate disqualification. On said website, a man talked about how not hiding his criminal record got him major brownie points with the review board and probably earned him his badge and I was considering doing that. However, when I told my father, he reminded me about the military and insisted that I should keep it a secret.

If I keep it secret, they might find out about it and it could shoot down another career dream of mine (I'm trying to find out if being disqualified from one department disqualifies you from all, 'cause if it doesn't then I probably don't have much to worry about). If I tell them and I'm turned down, my father won't let me hear the end of it.
If you keep it secret, they will find out about it.. Criminal and medical records are one of the first things they would check on... If you have something that would make you unsuitable for one position, but are honest about it, they may find you something else.
Don't tell them. Chances are, even if they find out, your "condition" probably won't be that big a deal. Your "condition" is only a problem because it would make you an inadequate fire fighter. If you prove yourself, then it's not a problem anymore.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
If it's a problem, you're screwed either way. If your record is an issue, telling them or not telling them gets you booted.

If your record's not an issue, only concealing it is an issue.

Ergo, the only logical option is to tell them.
I agree you should tell them.

It's more of a courtesy than anything else, they aren't asking to screw you, they're doing it so that you can perform safely. If you are honest at least then you know if you make it, you're going to be safe about it, and if you don't get it, at least you know you were honest (it's not much, but it's something).

Your father should not make you feel bad about being honest, especially if it could lead to a life/death senario.

It all depends on your condition. Consider this as well: You make it in, and run into a problem on the job, it comes back to your condition, they find out you knew about it, what do you suppose they will do?
Well, I lied about my medical history. I got in.
If they ever find out, i'd be ok. Reason being: I'd have all the training and knowledge of a field that the military can hardly find people who qualify for. I'd be worth too much.

Likewise, if you're found out somewhere down the line, i'm sure you could let off, if you're an outstanding fireman.

Btw, i'm only talking about less serious medical issues... Like, childhood broken bones that are fully healed.

If there is something wrong with you that would most likely be very dangerous to yourself or your counterparts, let them know.
Renamon's Army
Quote:It's more of a courtesy than anything else, they aren't asking to screw you, they're doing it so that you can perform safely. If you are honest at least then you know if you make it, you're going to be safe about it, and if you don't get it, at least you know you were honest (it's not much, but it's something).

That's the vibe I got from the military and so far, all it's done is make me eternally pissed at them. And "something" isn't going to pay expenses.

Quote:Your father should not make you feel bad about being honest, especially if it could lead to a life/death senario.

You don't know my father.

Quote:If there is something wrong with you that would most likely be very dangerous to yourself or your counterparts, let them know.

There's nothing wrong with me now. My doctor cleared me of the condition and he's confident I no longer suffer from it. I looked up the symptoms of my medical condition and, while I'm no doctor, from what I've read, I no longer have it. The problem is that I'm not sure if I can convince the people I need to convince that I no longer suffer from it.
Well, if you're cleared...

And they can't legally look up your medical history... (You should look up if they can... I know that the military can't, as long as you get those papers signed properly)

So if it's safe to fudge the truth... you may want to take the risk.
Renamon's Army