Join our server on Discord

Am I an asshole for not being helpful?
WTF is wrong with people, I swear, there is going to be reports of a school beign completly destroyed with thermite demolition charges or something if this crap keeps up, its driving me insane. People are complete assholes to me the majority of the time, the tease, haze, and just generally do things just to piss me off, those little things that just drive me crazy, but are within the bounds of acceptable behavoir accroding to the rules and regs. The half the time general popupulation can just be a pain in the ass bugging me about my personal quirks and issues that I amke obviusly clear I do not wish to discuss. (Ironic im talking aobut them with complete strangers, no?) The other half of the time the act nice as if I am on good terms with them asking for help with, what seems to me, trivial and easy assignments that if they used half their available brainpower the would be able to complete in 5 seconds. When ever there is a computer issue in the computer lab i have to fucking fix it or nothing gets done, the fricken school staff and even that admins are fucking clueless with computers and I get made fun of because i help said staff and admins fix these issues because I have nothing better to do with my time, and some of my classmates are just fucking clueless when it comes to fucking microsoft word. I mean seriously, is there any simpler program to use? it goes like this in every fucking class regardless of subject, I'm pestered for awswers, and most of the time I try to lead them to the awnswer so they could actually LEARN the significance of what someone is trying to teach them but every time i try, im forced to admit defeat and give them the awswers, beacuse if i dont they make my lfe a living hell in ways stated above. I can understand why my generation is called lazy, I myself am a perfect example of this, and I at least recognize the fact, but I find myself beleving outside of mabey the 10% of people who actually care and try to do something meaningful, the rest of scociety is mainly compromised of leaches wiht ambitions, and those with no ambitions at all. Phwe, fells good to get that off my chest.
It all comes down to that old adage.

"Give a man a fish, he is fed for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he is fed for a lifetime."

If people can't see the long term good you're trying to do for them by not giving them answers, then they're too stupid to be helped. Fuck 'em! More stupid people means less competition in your career of choice, unless intelligence has little to do with your career (like mine).

Still, I can totally relate to your issue, having lived through it during my junior high and university years (but not highschool, I was a slacker back then). It is annoying and your irritation is justified. You're not an asshole for not being helpful. You're trying to salvage your sanity.
I had a similar problem, a few truly dumbasses would always ask me for help. Tried to be nice to one of them one day, he made a "joke" towards me that I didnt like so I punched him in the mouth. He hasn't talked to me since.

Not the smartest thing to do, but it is an option.
ruggedrieley Wrote:I had a similar problem, a few truly dumbasses would always ask me for help. Tried to be nice to one of them one day, he made a "joke" towards me that I didnt like so I punched him in the mouth. He hasn't talked to me since.

Not the smartest thing to do, but it is an option.

I know I would of handled it that way..some school systems are more bullshit then the others. Therefore these situations are never really dealt with..doesnt matter what people tell you, you have the right to stand up for yourself if someone insults you. Someone starts talking about something personal..family, friends..knock them on their ass and tell them "When your dad asks who gave you the black eye tell them it was the nerd from computer class."
The OCA
Not much of an option for me, compared to the majorty of them, I'm tiny, and I would get the crap kicked out of me. Not to mention I would get in trouble for getting the crap kicked out of me for starting a fight, due to the "Zero Tolerance" Policy at my school, which seems to tolerate aplenty untill I make a minor screw-up.
By the way it sounds they are all talk, If I'm wrong inform me, so I guess they might lay off of you if you treat then like they're your bitches. As for teachers, just be a smartass until they leave you alone.

As Disturbed said, most schools are bullshit and be aware that I have no idea of their policies. All I have said is strictly what I would do in that situation, but I still hope it helps you reach a conclusion.
i agree, some people should find answers themselves. However, some people actually do need help, so its best to help once in a while.

if you help everytime, then everyone will just use you. the best option is to help them once in a while. just leave them in the dark for a bit, and then start over from helping someone here and there. make sure they actually pay attention, use the two strike rule: i'll help you the first time, show you the second time, but on the third time your on your own.

and if they still don't get it, then make them get it or show them the book or instructions for it. other than that, don't go to help everytime someone says "I can't fix this, can you help me?"
senjuro Wrote:It all comes down to that old adage.

"Give a man a fish, he is fed for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he is fed for a lifetime."

"Give a man a fire, he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

There are plenty of people in life who will get on your nerves. The trick is to smile, be friendly, give them answers, and toss in several veiled insults they won't detect or understand so you can laugh later on. People have no problems with people who appear to be on their side.
Herr Mullen Wrote:"Give a man a fire, he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

I love that one. I say it quite regularly.
Quote:and toss in several veiled insults they won't detect or understand so you can laugh later on. People have no problems with people who appear to be on their side.

Also a personal favourite tactic of mine. It's funny, because it seems obvious to oneself that you're totally burning them, but they're oblivious to the fact that you're intellectually slashing them to ribbons.
Just tell them they have to give you something in return... something like money.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against