Join our server on Discord

Poll: What do you like more?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Graphics
0%
0 0%
Plot
37.50%
3 37.50%
Controls
62.50%
5 62.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Graphics, Plot or Control?
When it comes to games, which do you care about more? The awe-inspiring graphics? The complex yet understandable plot? Or just the simple controls?

And, more to the point... why? XD
Gabumon Loverz
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The OCA
Renamon's Army
Veemon's Followers
The Sabre Clan
Creative Minds
The graphics aren't as important to me as everything else. Which explains why I have the nintendo systems. Of course I grew up when graphics weren't that big but that's not the whole point.
I'd say control and story line are about equally important. Games that have JUST graphics but a shoddy plot and horrid gameplay are a dreadful gaming experience.

A perfect example of this is Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. The graphics and framerate were pretty damn good, they even include "breast bounce" physics (yay boobies!). However, the story was downright idiotic and the RPG-style stat building element clashed so dreadfull with the games' origins that it made playing it a chore. Take away Lara's dual nickle-plated .45's and the classic control scheme, and you don't have a Tomb Raider game anymore.

Naturally, for RPG games, the gameplay is less of an issue. Generally it's more an easy flow in and out of battles, as well as an intuitive combat system. The story is what ices the cake, here. It's what gives you a Final Fantasy VI instead of a...I dunno...a Breath of Fire I.

For fighting games, gameplay is all there is. If the hit detection sucks, or the controls are stiff and unresponsive (*coughMortalKombat*), then you're in for a frustrating experience. The computer AI plays a part in this. When the computer can do ridiculous things that no human could ever achieve and counter moves before you even start to throw them, I'd say that's a huge gameplay issue right there. Yes, I AM talking about Mortal Kombat again. Try and get off a fucking jumpkick against your computer controlled opponents. It's practicalyl IMPOSSIBLE in later stages.

Platformers pretty much require good controls, but a good story to keep you playing. Otherwise, jumping on all those guys and doing finger-cramping combinations of button presses aren't worth. Back in the day, "The princess is in another castle" was enough to keep people going. Kids these days need goals!

FPS games need high quality graphics and consistently high framerate, along with controls that respond to a fucking feather touch. Anything less than these, and you're going to die a heck of a lot.

Strategy games need story and little else. Graphics come or go; it's the victory that matters. As long as all the menus are done up intuitively, that's all that matters.

Action/adventure titles need all three. You need good graphics to make it interesting; you need good story to keep in interesting; and you need good control so people want to play it.

I might add that I generally enjoy games with superior soundtracks, as well. It's one of my gripes with Twilight Princess: the music is downright awful, compounding my dislike of it. Final Fantasy X has amazing music (except for on the Mi'ihen Highroad) that I absolutely love, as do the Megaman games.

I prolly left out a very genres of game...but oh well. In other words, it pretty much depends on the genre.
Ninja Gaiden is a perfect example for all three of these categories (in my opinion).

Ninja Gaiden's graphics were superbly done by Team Ninja. They made that game look SO good it was sick and thats not event the cut scenes. The cut scenes for Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) were outstandingly good, I dont think you could compare any game's graphics up to that of Ninja Gaiden's.

The controls for Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) are greatly done. Split second timing on all of the controls and the AI on the game isnt so simple that you can just mash buttons and hopefully you'll kill everything. Plus different weapons have different reaction times that you have to get used to.

It has a solid story line where Ryu Hayabusa of the dragon lineage protects the Dark Dragon Blade carved out of the fang out of the dark dragon which is the sister blade of The Dragon Sword within the Hayabus Village. The village is ransacked by a Greater Fiend Doku which successfully steals the blade and cuts down Ryu in their first meeting.
The OCA
I say plot becuase I mostly play RPGs. Senjuro has pretty much listed what each genre relies on.
I'd say controls,followed by graphics,then plot.I just skim through cutscenes on most games.I play RPGs alot,I just want it to be a fairly simple interface.Good graphics just help.Who cares about a plot when you could be blowing stuff sky high?
amaterasu Wrote:I'd say controls,followed by graphics,then plot.I just skim through cutscenes on most games.I play RPGs alot,I just want it to be a fairly simple interface.Good graphics just help.Who cares about a plot when you could be blowing stuff sky high?

You play RPG's a lot, but don't care about the plot? Unless you're playing an MMORPG which, for the most part, have no plot, what is it about them that makes you like them?
Good point. I always tell my nephew to not skip the story.
senjuro Wrote:
amaterasu Wrote:I'd say controls,followed by graphics,then plot.I just skim through cutscenes on most games.I play RPGs alot,I just want it to be a fairly simple interface.Good graphics just help.Who cares about a plot when you could be blowing stuff sky high?

You play RPG's a lot, but don't care about the plot? Unless you're playing an MMORPG which, for the most part, have no plot, what is it about them that makes you like them?

I have no idea why I put RPG,I meant RTS,but I feel the same way about RPGs.I just like killing things and getting better,then killing more things..
Heh okay...you had me really confused there! ^_^;; Damn all those acronyms!