Join our server on Discord

Pearl Harbor
Yeah. Dec. 7...

I thought I should put something up, it being the aniversary and all.

Post your comments, tell stories about your grandpa who fought in WWII, anything.

Even if you have no connection with Pearl Harbor, i'm sure that there is some connection to the war in general.

For those who live in Argentina: Yes, even you have a connection! Many higher-ups in the Nazi party fled to Argentina. Yeah, connections everywhere.
Renamon's Army
My grandfather on my mother's side was a navy engineer who landed at D-Day (a few hours or so after the initial invasion; he wasn't one of the soldiers who took the beaches). He once talked about how he had to drive his bulldozer over the bodies of the dead Americans, and how he hated it but knew it had to be done.

My grandfather also has this little sticker that pretty much sums up his and my feelings about the dropping of the A-bomb. It says; "If there hadn't been a Pearl Harbor, there wouldn't have been a Hiroshima"
Interesting sticker.

I feel for your grandpa.
Renamon's Army
It's also the anniversary of John Lennon's assassination, but even more tragically, this is the five-year anniversary of the day I was fired from Toys "R" Us after a customer claimed my register light was on when it wasn't.

Pearl Harbor was bad... of course, but I just don't take it personally like I take the Toys "R" Us thing. That job meant everything to me.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Oh sorry about the job, I bet you got alot of discounts working there.

On to the topic. I have no relationship to pearl harbor, but my great uncle was a phillipian(sp) officer and my great grandfather was a spy in Germany. He did alot of the cool stuff jump out of a plane over germany gather information about things for either an invasion or other things. Ah if only he were alife today to tell his stories.
Wisemon Wrote:It's also the anniversary of John Lennon's assassination, but even more tragically, this is the five-year anniversary of the day I was fired from Toys "R" Us after a customer claimed my register light was on when it wasn't.

Pearl Harbor was bad... of course, but I just don't take it personally like I take the Toys "R" Us thing. That job meant everything to me.
I'd say something similar if I was you. I'd like a job there.
Yea, my family experiences in WWII wasn't exactly memorable. My grandpa was in the Seabee's Engineer Corps that saw Pearl Harbor. When he was deployed on Iwojima, his unit came across a Japanese spider network inside one of the mountains. He personally shotgunned three prisoners and help det. the whole moutain face.

The perfect Vengence is without hesitation.
My grandfathers aren't here to tell me stories :cry:
You know, today I read about Pearl Harbor. It was a very tragic event for the US, but looking from Japan's point of view, I can really see why they would want to do that. The World War II was affecting them greatly, to the point that they were cut off from trade. After years of patient waiting, settlement was constantly delayed, so they decided to fight their way out of their predicament. Why they decided to carry the thing so far, I don't know--a bad part on their side. It could have been that defeating the offending countries would be assurance that Japan wouldn't fall into such a predicament again. I also don't know whether or not they simply tried to communicate with the countries affecting them. I should hope they did, but if not, another bad part on their side.

If they did indeed do their part in letting people know what trouble their government and economy was in, then I could see what drove them to attack the Allied forces. However, I truly wish something different could have been done. The Japanese army had been defeated by Britain once, but after signing a peace treaty were instructed in the ways of the British army--an army that had very great skill and strength. Combining that with their samurai and martial skill made them deadly. But even before that, Japan's army was strong, known for fighting to the death for their country--surrender was a disgrace.

Heh, sorry for the history lesson. It's just a shame how textbooks put the US point of view and ONLY the US point of view (a lot of them anyway). I love my country, but in all fairness, there is a lot more to it than "The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor."
Of course there is!

You are right about how textbooks do that. History is written by the victors. All sides should be viewed historically, and then you can decide what went down, or why.

I can't pull down figures from the top of my head, but if I remember correctly, the attack on Pearl Harbor was designed to destroy America's naval capabilities in the entire pacific.

Japan's move was sneaky, but it should have worked. They just didn't count on the fact that the American people wouldn't become afraid, but rather pissed. America had an isolationist movement, which kept us out of the war, at least until we were attacked directly. Japan figured that since we wouldn't fight, that a huge attack would only keep us on the sidelines.

Watch this. It basically describes WW2 up until the point that the U.S. joined.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6873555067484385731&q=Robot+Chicken+Hitler&hl=en

It is a joke, but it is true.
Renamon's Army