Join our server on Discord

Poll: Was I out of line?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, you jerk! She has every reason to be mad!
0%
0 0%
No, she's overreacting!
100.00%
7 100.00%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

A scenario: manners
Okay, so here's an admitedly silly exhange that I had yesterday morning that has left one person pissed of at me for what I hope you will agree is an entirely trivial reason.

Here's the setup: I eat the same thing for breakfast pretty much every day: two scrambles eggs, two pieces of raisin toast, a banana/apple, and a small container of milk (yay for balance!). I always have butter on my toast, which is stored on ice so it doesn't melt. It's too difficult, however, to spread such hard butter onto one's toast without tearing the hell out of it so, while waiting for my toast in the toaster, I set the container of butter on my eggs to soften the butter.

Makes sense, no?

So after doing all this and paying for it, I sit down with one of my friends and begin to butter my toast. Just as I begin to put the melty butter on my toast, she says, "You know, that looks really disgusting."

I replied with, "It's pretty rude to make comments like that about somebody's food."

Her retort: "It's not food, it's butter."

My response: "Right, which I'm putting on my food and then into my mouth."

After this, she pretty much got up and we said bye and I assumed nothing was wrong.

Boy, was I wrong times ten! I go to sit with her at supper time and she totally avoids eye contact and responds really nastily to every effort I make at conversation. Here's the most prominent of these exchanges:

[she hadn't gone to dance class at 9:30 because she had a rehearsal, and therefore probably didn't know that Thursday's and Friday's classes were cancelled]

Me: Oh hey. Just letting you know that [the teacher]'s out of town on Thursday and Friday so there won't be any class.

Her: I'm aware.

Me: Ooookay. Well how'd your rehearsal go?

Her: Fine.

Me:

Her:

Me: Well, see ya later.

Her:

Cold as ice!

So here's my question: was she being rude and is she overreacting or was I a dickface for no apparent reason? Just curious. ^_^
In my oppinion, that friend is quite dear to you, otherwise, you wouldn't care so much about this. Am I right?

As for her, she must be stressed, overreactions are common when a person's not feeling well from stress.
[Image: FearthatPlushy.jpg]
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Nah, not a dear friend by any stretch, and it's not that she's mad that bothers me. I'm just really appalled and surprised that a 25 year old would act 13 over a trivial. And this girl is graduating with her masters degree in a year?? WTF!
Your breakfast doesn't sound all that balanced to me. Where's your whole grains and fiber (raisin toast gives you maybe 2 grams)? Where's your iron? Where's your vitamin C?
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Maybe he drinks OJ in the way and compliments the lack of iron at lunch.

As for the girl, I still stand the probability of stress, maybe if you could get her attention normally (better than last time, of course), you could either ask what's up or something. But it's probably not your problem from what you said.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
I don't see what the problem in. Seems like a weird problem with you putting butter on your toast. Try talking out.
Wisemon Wrote:Your breakfast doesn't sound all that balanced to me. Where's your whole grains and fiber (raisin toast gives you maybe 2 grams)? Where's your iron? Where's your vitamin C?

It's balanced in terms that each of the four food groups is represented. I never have a problem getting iron and when I go to give blood, the droplet sinks right to the bottom of the copper sulfate in about 2 seconds. I take a vitamin C supplement every morning. Thanks for the concern about my diet. Now stop being off topic! :p

DMX, that's exactly what I think. But since it's not my fault or problem, why am I still getting flack for it? Like what the fuck...

Unknown, if she'd even make eye contact with me, then sure, but the rudeness has reached another level.

When I sat down with her at supper, she was super snotty and spent the whole time looking through her cellphone address book and called several people to leave messages on their answering machines. See what I'm dealing with here?
Yeah, I get the point of acting like a little girl. With you, trying to get her attention, and her, ignoring you to make you work more to get it, you won't get anywhere. The best thing here is either counter her with her own doings and reduce to her levels (easiest and most degrading) or talk to her about butter, that'll make her pissed off even more or will make her laugh, it's a 50/50.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Like I said, it doesn't really concern me. I have two sisters, a sister-in-law, a mother, and a girlfriend. I have enough women in my life to care about to start figuring out someone I've known for about a month and a half. I just find it humourous how such an off-hand rebuke triggered such an extreme response. I have the distinct impression that she's waiting for an apology, though for what I can't imagine.
if you ask me she is just overacting the situation, maybe she just doesn't eat butter on toast with raisens in it.

Quote:I have two sisters, a sister-in-law, a mother, and a girlfriend

heh tha's nothing, I have one mother who likes to complian, one sister that does complete opposite of what she is told, another sister that is kind of wise beyond her years but likes to do things herself, a cousin that is snotty, another cousin that is just plain old babeish, also another that is just born a few weeks ago, another that likes to jump on me all the time, and at school I have do deal with my cousin that likes to argue with me, and a class mate that just bursts out laughing out of the blue that gets annoying, and two older cousins that are too bossy.

lets see...*counts* that is eleven ladies that I have to deal with all day long, and I have more than enough, if I wanted I could enter an all girl daycare and not be phased until I get older...any questions?