Join our server on Discord

Poll: Am I at fault?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Of course you are, you turned on the lights your retard
0%
0 0%
No, the stage crew did it, not you, you did what you were told to
100.00%
14 100.00%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Am I wrong here???
Hey everyone,

I just wanted your opinion on this. I work at my high school as a Light and Sound Technician managing the lights and sounds at all school functions. Tonight was opening night for the school musical.

Here is my problem.

In one scene the scrim comes down. For all those in theatre you know what a scrim is but to everyone else, it is the blocking sheet that comes down to seperate the actors from the scenery so the props and scences can change. All of the lights that I do, are based on cues. So a lighting change is all based on cues we see from the stage.( we are on the opposite side of the auditorium watching the preformance)All of the cues are based on movement and the scrim. Well, in a scence Charachter A enters on Stage Right * your left* and begins his lines, when that happens the spotlight turns on and when the scrim goes up, the lights go up. Well tonight, the stage hands didn't have the scenery changed by the time the lights came up and they blame me.

From my point of view, if the set is not ready- don't send out the actor- if the props ( in this case a whole HOUSE ) are not int he proper location/ angle- don't raise the scrim.

After all this, I was yelled at for " not doing my job" and " making the musical look bad". Would it be wrong of me to fire back at these comments since it was their cues and actios that made me do what I had to do???
Veemon's Followers
Stage crew's fault. Not yours. You tell them to be faster next time.
Based on what I know about stage crew from my friends you turn on the lights when your cue is given and you work as fast as possible during a scene change, which apparently they didn't do. From what it sounds like they are to blame and you just happen to be the scapegoat, because you are not defending yourself. Stand up and defend yourself, say why you did what you did, and like what unknown said tell them to move faster.
btw were you the only one working the lights?
No, me and a friend of mine,Paul, do the lights as a team for all the major functions but all the easy stuff one of us does. So I wasn't alone!
Veemon's Followers
From what you told me on YIM, your director is pretty clueless. It's her fault for being an idiot.

Yay!
That's definately not your fault. Whoever sent the actor on was the true villian in this peice.
If they sent the actors out prematurely it isnt your fault. You had no way of knowing what behind the Scrim looked like and no way of knowing wheither they were ready or not other than when a character comes onto the stage. If a character comes out you're supposed to place the light on him or her immediately. You did exactly what you were supposed to do.
"Stand tall and shake the heavens!" - Xenogears.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Okay, I just wanted to make sure I wan't out of line. I didn't yell at the stage crew... so I felt guilty for missing out, so I will talk to them tonight for tonights preformance
Veemon's Followers
You didn't do a damned thing wrong. It's their fault, you have every right to protest their decision [to blame you].
no, you didn't do nothing wrong...like the others said, whoever sent the actor out is a clueless person that didn't pay attention. other than that you didn't do nothing wrong.