Join our server on Discord

Something about silence makes me sick
I was told by my general manager today (an overweight, overmakeupped, overrated 51-year-old) that I can no longer listen to music in the office with explicit language in it because:
"Tony quit and filed for unemployment, which he shouldn't have gotten, because he quit, but then he said that he quit because he felt uncomfortable because we sent office email jokes with crude content. Then they gave him the unemployment which we have to pay, which is total bullshit, because as we both know, Tony quit because he got a new manager who wouldn't put up with his calling in sick half the time So, because we need to make sure that we're not making anyone uncomfortable, you can't play music with explicit language in it anymore. I don't have a problem with it, but other people might complain."

Now, here's why my general manager is full of shit:
She does have a problem with it, but her problem isn't the language, it's the punk guitar and drums. She swears all the time, so I doubt she has a problem with that. She does have a problem with anything that isn't light rock or something someone on American Idol might sing. One of the secretaries probably has the same problem. They both watch all of the popular adult dramas, and they about them in the morning and live vicariously. Anyway, it's total bullshit, and my manager is one of those women who use power and excuses in a way they think is subtle and opaque. It's not enough for her to attempt to conform me, but she can't even give me a straight non-hypocritical reason, and that's what really pisses me off.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Start listening to grunge (I lack ability to spell correctly at this hour, my apologies) or something that's so ungodly horrible you can't make out the lyrics just to get back at her. Then when she comes to complain, say "Hey at least they're not swearing!!"
[Image: Seethsig.jpg]

[Image: promo.jpg]

Lord Patamon Wrote:King of sadism alright, that's a perfect title for you
Or oppositly get some really offensive music, like some rap or kids singing "popular" songs. In fact, There's a "kids bop rap" type cd coming out.
*Remains silent*

Just kidding, sounds like your boss is just making sure she covers everything so this problem can't happen again. I'm betting you do already but if you don't, which would surprise me, you might want to get headphones. Depending on wheither or not you need to listen to someone or just do work they make a kind that blocks out all noise from escaping so you don't have to worry about anyone overhearing it.
"Stand tall and shake the heavens!" - Xenogears.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
I think he may use headphones.
Headphones would be fine. That would solve both your problem of not being able to listen to music, and her problem of people being uncomfortable, which is a perfectly valid reason, however the possibility of an alterior motive does sully it a little for you.

Go with headphones, keep the volume low, and if she complains get some really heavy music in forgien languages and play them full blast. No swearwords, see hear!
Quote:Start listening to grunge (I lack ability to spell correctly at this hour, my apologies) or something that's so ungodly horrible you can't make out the lyrics just to get back at her. Then when she comes to complain, say "Hey at least they're not swearing!!"
I do listen to grunge. Ever hear Soundgarden's "Ty Cobb?" The lyrics aren't perfectly clear (though I know them by heart), but what you can understand tends to piss off the rest of the office.

There are several reasons I can't wear headphones. I need to be able to hear my boss. I need to be able to hear my other boss. I need to be able to hear my supervisor. I need to be able to hear the phone. I need to look like I'm paying attention. Headphones look unprofessional.
I know that you saw me.
Well that is a problem then. Does anyone know if they make a kind that looks like those phones that go on your ear? Then you'd have one ear open for listening and one for music.
"Stand tall and shake the heavens!" - Xenogears.
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
The Mod Squad
Yeah. I do that at home sometimes.
Quote:Well that is a problem then. Does anyone know if they make a kind that looks like those phones that go on your ear? Then you'd have one ear open for listening and one for music.
It would still be clear that I'm wearing headphones. I can't appear to be wearing headphones, and the only way to avoid looking like I'm wearing headphones is to not wear headphones.
I know that you saw me.